PDA

View Full Version : Properly Tying Rapala's?

Fly_Fish
08-19-2011, 03:11 PM
I find tying my line straight to the lure isnt working in the bow. The lure bumps rocks on the way in and weaken's the line considerably at the knot which eventually fails on a small snag. lost 3 raps this week.:mad3: was using stren 6lb superknot and tried rapala 6lb test green which was worst. just curious if there were any tricks for adding a leader or swivel that won't screw up my action or spook the trout? braided line investment maybe?

Braun
08-19-2011, 03:33 PM
if your wondering about knots. instead of using a knot use a craink snap like the one below. this way you can also use a slightly stronger knot and it gives free movement to the lure. also makes changing cranks easy.

http://www.blogsmonroe.com/fishing/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/s7_113061_999_01.jpg

chubbdarter
08-19-2011, 03:33 PM
I find tying my line straight to the lure isnt working in the bow. The lure bumps rocks on the way in and weaken's the line considerably at the knot which eventually fails on a small snag. lost 3 raps this week.:mad3: was using stren 6lb superknot and tried rapala 6lb test green which was worst. just curious if there were any tricks for adding a leader or swivel that won't screw up my action or spook the trout? braided line investment maybe?

Every Rap model is different....some are better off with the splitring removed and a crank snap on the end of your line or a rapala knot.......but some rapalas dont like crank snaps even with the splitring removed

One major problem with knot failure is where you tie on the stock splitring. If you tie onto the double wire portion eventually your knot will slip to the single wire gap, then the knot loses tension and becomes a loop which fails..remember also the lure's wire loop doesnt like to be in the splitring gap.
Tie with a improved clinch onto the single wire portion of the splitring.

I find lures like the tail dancer perform best with the splitring.....or a luxor clip.

Fly_Fish
08-19-2011, 04:00 PM
The raps im losing didn't come with split ring's, it's just a wire loop at the nose of the lure. One of them had a split ring on it, the knot was tied in the little gap and it was definatley tight. Thank you for the suggestion, I am definatley going to try those clips out.

BeeGuy
08-19-2011, 04:04 PM
where abouts did you lose those raps?

Fly_Fish
08-19-2011, 04:17 PM
2 at zoo area and one by cushing bridge. good luck.
i really hate losing the things..
i dont like the thought of a bird or fish swallowing a lost lure..im sure it happens...not cool.
and they are hella expensive.

TJG
08-19-2011, 06:20 PM

1st, 6# is too light, if ur banging bottom and glancing off rocks & such.
2nd, Braun is 100% correct.
3rd, try some Fireline 10/4 or 8/2, sufix floro, something with some
strength or backbone.

Eddy62
08-19-2011, 07:06 PM
1st, 6# is too light, if ur banging bottom and glancing off rocks & such.
2nd, Braun is 100% correct.
3rd, try some Fireline 10/4 or 8/2, sufix floro, something with some
strength or backbone.

ive been snagged up and have not lost one rapala on a rapala knot. but what i do is use braided fireline( smoke ) and add 6 ft off berkley 12 pound floro carbon leader never once lost a rapala the braided line and floro line will cost you a bit but it cost a lot when your losing your cd9 or 7 s .and any other crank or spinner you use...works great for me

Braun
08-20-2011, 01:48 PM
to be honest, on my light rod i use 6lb braid. its the diameter or like 2 lb mono. and is alot tougher than a typical 6lb line. I dont bother with leaders. yes braid is more visible but there are a couple other factors here too. its only 2lb diameter. thats huge. the other is that if your river fishing, the fish only has limited time to make the decision to take it or not. If he hesitates the lure is going to be down the river anyways. and if you have followers. i still say braid doesnt scare trout off all that much. Others may disagree but i have never had an issue

32-40win
08-20-2011, 08:07 PM
A weight upgrade on the leader would help. To let the Rap work you can also use this;
http://www.fishing-khaolak.com/knots/leftys_loop_steps.html
Used it on a lot of stuff, it works.

EZM
08-21-2011, 12:49 PM
I use a snap swivel - small one. It's weight is negligible and there is no impact on the action of your lure.

I will sometimes use a flouro leader in clear water the last 24" so the braid isn't seem by trout. I run a 14lb braid for strength and knot the lines directly together (double surgeon or double loop) to the 24" of 10lb Flouro.

A small swivel snap at the end of the flouro makes changing lures a snap.

horsetrader
08-21-2011, 12:58 PM
I use a snap swivel - small one. It's weight is negligible and there is no impact on the action of your lure.

I will sometimes use a flouro leader in clear water the last 24" so the braid isn't seem by trout. I run a 14lb braid for strength and knot the lines directly together (double surgeon or double loop) to the 24" of 10lb Flouro.

A small swivel snap at the end of the flouro makes changing lures a snap.

Why would you run 14lb braid and 10 lb leader

EZM
08-21-2011, 01:09 PM
Why would you run 14lb braid and 10 lb leader

The 14 braid is on both my Medium Light Rods which I use for a number of species. The 10lb flouro is what I have in my box to be honest - really nothing more than that.

I use the 10lb flouro for leaders when fishing for Gerhards in Kootenay, Trout in McLeod or wherever.

The diameter difference (or strength) is not that big of a difference really - it's the clarity that I'm after when trout get spooked with braid.

I guess I could run a 4-6lb mono but I would like a little strength if I snag rocks so I'm not losing $9 rapalas.

horsetrader
08-21-2011, 01:22 PM
The 14 braid is on both my Medium Light Rods which I use for a number of species. The 10lb flouro is what I have in my box to be honest - really nothing more than that.

I use the 10lb flouro for leaders when fishing for Gerhards in Kootenay, Trout in McLeod or wherever.

The diameter difference (or strength) is not that big of a difference really - it's the clarity that I'm after when trout get spooked with braid.

I guess I could run a 4-6lb mono but I would like a little strength if I snag rocks so I'm not losing $9 rapalas.

Sounds good to me thought you found a secret lol thax

grinr
08-21-2011, 01:46 PM
haven't tossed a crankbait for years but rapala Loop knot is plenty strong,good action,great for buggers/streamers too.

easy tie.... http://www.animatedknots.com/rapala/index.php