PDA

View Full Version : Jasper Fishing, WHere and for what?

Willowtrail
08-19-2011, 11:32 PM
I just booked 5 nights in Jasper starting Sunday :sHa_shakeshout: and haven't done too much searching on lakes.

I have a 15hp and the bow mount minn kota. I see some of the lakes are electric only and some allow gas.

Taking 9 year old nephew so I would like to catch some fish for him to want to keep fishing and not pack up.

I will get rid of all our lead jigs so spoons, spinners and cranks it is. Looks like 2 hooks only on the raps too. I'll grab a set of regs and my licence and maybe one for him if we decide to keep some so he can keep his own limit.

I'm thinking of trying Pyramid and maybe Maligne and willing to go to any other recommended lakes. I don't really want to take him to the rivers for safety reasons.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

horsetrader
08-20-2011, 12:53 AM
We fished pyramid lake a few years ago caught a couple trout used spinners had kayaks at that time no problem launching don't know for bigger boat . fished beauvert beautiful lake but no fish. fished Talbot lake a lot some nice pike about 35 k before town. we used jigs and top water at talbot the sports store in town has lead free jigs and splitshot I still have 25 or so jigs left and some splits your welcome to them. If i don't see you before have fun and good luck

Itsmyfishingshow
08-20-2011, 01:32 AM
im heading through there september and would like to get some fishing done. i want to know some of the lakes too.

Dak1138
08-20-2011, 03:33 AM
im heading through there september and would like to get some fishing done. i want to know some of the lakes too.

Talbot, Edna and Maligne seem to be the only main lakes open past September 5.

I hear Moab is worth a look as well.

mikebossy
08-20-2011, 05:02 AM
Hey WT, check out the latest alberta outdoorsman magazine in chapters, etc
for an article by Fred Noddin, get some 2 oz lead bottom bouncers , 2 oz and over is legal, then run an 8 foot leader of 10 lb line, then at the end of that a thin flutter spoon such as the gibbs gypsy, or a bigger flatfish, or even probably a 4-6 inch rapala original or husky jerk, go slow and keep the bouncer trolling along bottom in about 40-50 feet, you should catch lots with a bit of luck, probably run 2-5 lbs, good luck and let me know how you did

Mike

Itsmyfishingshow
08-20-2011, 11:10 AM

what about rivers and creeks?

Big Bull
08-20-2011, 12:16 PM
I have a 15hp and the bow mount minn kota. I see some of the lakes are electric only and some allow gas.

I will get rid of all our lead jigs so spoons, spinners and cranks it is. Looks like 2 hooks only on the raps too. I'll grab a set of regs and my licence and maybe one for him if we decide to keep some so he can keep his own limit.

I'm thinking of trying Pyramid and maybe Maligne and willing to go to any other recommended lakes. I don't really want to take him to the rivers for safety reasons.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Best to remove your 15hp from your boat today, as no gas motors are allowed on Jasper lakes. They can't even be on the boat.
Maligne Lake would be my suggestion for best chance to catch fish, best scenery, and best tasting fish! Just prepare for nasty weather, as we've had snow at higher elevations in the past few days.

Maligne with a boat, Medicine with waders.

Wrong! Patricia, Beauvert, Medicine, and many others are open until Oct. 31.
Moab closes on Sept. 5.

Here is the online version of the regs:
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/visit14a.aspx#jasper

Willowtrail
08-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks bigbull

I thought I saw patricia was allowed gas. Is that true? I have 2 electrics. Bow and rear mount.

DuckBrat
08-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Pyramid lake allows gas motors, I don't believe Patricia does and it does not have any fish left in it.

Rockyman
08-20-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm trying to find the regulation online but I'm pretty sure gas motors are not allowed on Pyramid Lake or any other Jasper Lake.

Xiph0id
08-20-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm trying to find the regulation online but I'm pretty sure gas motors are not allowed on Pyramid Lake or any other Jasper Lake.

I've heard the same.
Only lake I know of that you can use gas is in banff.

SonnyJ
08-20-2011, 10:22 PM

Gas was allowed on Pyramid years ago but now it's electric only.

Willowtrail
08-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Electric will be fine. I have a bow mount and my old transom mount will be coming on the trip as well. Planning to talk to the local tackle shops and get some inside info. I'm leaning towards trying Pyramid on Monday and then Maligne the next and go from there. Maybe hit up Talbot one day

horsetrader
08-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Gas was allowed on Pyramid years ago but now it's electric only.

The road ends at Pyramid Lake. This lake allows gasoline powered motors, and boats are available for rent at Pyramid Lake Bungalows. Cast a line for rainbow and lake trout along with Rocky Mountain Whitefish. In fact the Alberta record white sucker was taken in Pyramid Lake. During winter, a lighted skating rink is maintained on the lake surface.

Willowtrail
08-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Thanks Trader. I'll let you know what I learn up there. Might go back Sep long if the bite is on

Big Bull
08-21-2011, 11:42 AM
The road ends at Pyramid Lake. This lake allows gasoline powered motors, and boats are available for rent at Pyramid Lake Bungalows. Cast a line for rainbow and lake trout along with Rocky Mountain Whitefish. In fact the Alberta record white sucker was taken in Pyramid Lake. During winter, a lighted skating rink is maintained on the lake surface.

Bad info. Gas motors have not been allowed on Pyramid Lake for at least 10 years, and are not allowed on any lakes in Jasper N P. Pyramid Lake Resort has one gas powered boat for emergencies only. Where did you get this info from?

SonnyJ
08-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Bad info. Gas motors have not been allowed on Pyramid Lake for at least 10 years, and are not allowed on any lakes in Jasper N P. Pyramid Lake Resort has one gas powered boat for emergencies only. Where did you get this info from?

X2

Was up there this spring and they have signs up saying no gas allowed.

horsetrader
08-21-2011, 11:51 AM

http://www.jaspernationalpark.com/jnppyram.html

horsetrader
08-21-2011, 11:59 AM
just found another site that says no gas motors very confusing i stand corrected the internet can be a problem some times

http://www.explorejasper.com/sights/pyramidlake.htm

Willowtrail
08-21-2011, 12:13 PM
No worries. I got 2 batteries and 2 motors, a generator (Thanks Horsetrader for the deal) and a buddy in a power site at camp. I booked late so no power, oh well.

GONE FISHIN'

SonnyJ
08-22-2011, 10:39 AM
just found another site that says no gas motors very confusing i stand corrected the internet can be a problem some times

told you so :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Big Bull
08-22-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.jaspernationalpark.com/jnppyram.html
Yup, you can't always trust the internet. The domain name of the above site would lead someone to believe that it is the official website of Jasper National Park. Best that I can tell is that it is run out of Canmore or Colorado. I did send them an email informing them of their misinformation.

This site is run by a friend of mine, and long time Jasper resident, so expect better information from his site.

Here is the "official" website of Parks Canada - Jasper:
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/index.aspx
... but good luck finding info on that site regarding gasoline powered motors.

Speckle55
08-22-2011, 12:04 PM
E-mail sent to them about closed to gas motors.. thanks for info:) on where you got info.

David

N8orDie
08-22-2011, 05:45 PM
There is easy pike fishing in Talbot Lake, which, if I can remember correctly, is West of the townsite on the way to the Miette Hot Springs. Great for kids. You can rent a boat at a tackle shop in town. Go straight across the lake from the boat launch and start near the downed trees on the opposite side. Spinners and spoons are your best bet. I hope you see this while you're still in Jasper!

Willowtrail
08-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Got a pic of the pyramid lake electric only. Sent to trader so he can post on here. Tried Pyramid today but the weather was crumby and windy. Might have got a bite on a williams wobbler on my downrigger. Pulled out of the clip. Don't know for sure, never caught anything on the rigger yet.

Maligne and Talbit are on our list of to do's. Weather dependent tuesday.

Got lots of tips from online sports and one of the park employees at the Whistlers campground. I always love the small towns in the parks, staff are so friendly.

Got my nephew a explorers club certificate back at camp by completing dome activities in a booklet they gave us. He also go a dog tag and won't take it off. Me thinks he's having fun. Now all we have to do is go land some Maligne rainbows and his smile will connect behind his head. He's having a blast.

I'll update tomorrow. Hopefully with good news.

Thanks for the pm sonnyj. Not sure if we'llhit it or not. Maybe come back on the long weekend with his dad and try your spot. Do you live out here? Pm me a number if you want to meet up.

No gas motors are allowed on any lake in the park as noted above. Got confirmation

horsetrader
08-23-2011, 08:53 AM
told you so :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I hate smartass smilies ..........lol

horsetrader
08-23-2011, 08:56 AM
Yup, you can't always trust the internet. The domain name of the above site would lead someone to believe that it is the official website of Jasper National Park. Best that I can tell is that it is run out of Canmore or Colorado. I did send them an email informing them of their misinformation.

This site is run by a friend of mine, and long time Jasper resident, so expect better information from his site.

Here is the "official" website of Parks Canada - Jasper:
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/jasper/index.aspx
... but good luck finding info on that site regarding gasoline powered motors.

thanks for the info Bull

http://i1037.photobucket.com/albums/a454/horsetrader_photo/IMG-20110822-00442.jpg

sent by willowtrail