PDA

View Full Version : How's the Red Deer?

Isopod
08-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Wondering how the fishing has been lately on the Red Deer, specifically between Dickson and Innisfail?

Isopod
08-23-2011, 12:27 AM
Went and fished it Monday with 4 buds. Fished from about 9 a.m. to almost sunset, moving from spot to spot, trying everything from flies to small cranks, spinners and spoons for walleyes, to bigger lures for jacks. Nada. Not a bite. Not one. Lots of snags though from trees and crap that moved around in the high water earlier this year. Oh well, still a better day than the office, and nice to catch up with my fishing buddies.

boroumand8
08-23-2011, 02:31 PM
The fishing in the red deer this year is amazing. Lots of goldeyes, burbut's and walleye's near the city, but out by innisfail it's mostly whitefish

Stu
08-24-2011, 06:54 AM
What do you catch the burbot with? I haven't been able to catch any. thanks

dmartinez
08-24-2011, 07:44 AM
Well, just went out there yesterday, fishing just outside of Innisfail, by the bridge of hwy 54

Anyways, have no pics, and played man tracker upstream of the bridge, but all in all, hooked tons of whitefish (at least 18 on is a ton for me, brought in 6.)

Buddy and I were there for about 7 hours and between the two of us we hooked about 30 or so, all whitefish.

As to what we used, I used a mepps, jig, and fly's.

Got a couple on the spinners, but the most production was from the flies.

Used Wooly Bugger, as well as pale blue caddiss, and anything big and floating, (first time I have ever seen whitefish hitting dry fly at the top of the water.)

rerickson
10-01-2011, 06:46 AM
Have fished the Red Deer south of the Penhold bridge once or twice a week for the past month. It has slowed down in the past week, but have had success every night. Lots of goldeye, a few whites, a couple browns, a small pike. Dad caught a couple nice 2 lb sauger and I landed a 1.5 lb goldeye.