PDA

View Full Version : Bow tonight,what flies?

grinr
08-21-2011, 02:04 PM
new Albertan/east coast import,fished the Bow couple eves last week,big(10-12) reddish/orangey/rusty mayflies hatching...wtf are they?Caught a couple decent browns on rusty colored #14 Stimulator......next night,steady risers everywhere,they wouldn't touch it,keyed in on tiny emergers(?)....then got driven off river from 1.5 inch hail!

HELP!!!....Goin fishn soon,Canyon Meadows/fish crk/Lafarge,wtf are they rising for??Lil' green midges? :confused:

need good wading(hail) jacket,CGY

walking buffalo
08-21-2011, 10:20 PM
new Albertan/east coast import,fished the Bow couple eves last week, big(10-12) reddish/orangey/rusty mayflies hatching...wtf are they?Caught a couple decent browns on rusty colored #14 Stimulator......next night,steady risers everywhere,they wouldn't touch it,keyed in on tiny emergers(?)....then got driven off river from 1.5 inch hail!

HELP!!!....Goin fishn soon,Canyon Meadows/fish crk/Lafarge,wtf are they rising for??Lil' green midges? :confused:

need good wading(hail) jacket,CGY

October Sedge or Giant Orange Sedge (Dicosmoecus), a type of Caddis fly. They rarley are around in big numbers on the Bow, but the fish do turn on to the color orange when they are available, dries and nymphs.

slivers86
08-21-2011, 10:21 PM
October Sedge or Giant Orange Sedge (Dicosmoecus), a type of Caddis fly. They rarley are around in big numbers on the Bow, but the fish do turn on to the color orange when they are available, dries and nymphs.

had one hit on a brown caddis tonight :)

Tezma
08-21-2011, 11:50 PM
I would use a 5 of diamonds. lol :sign0161:

pikester
08-21-2011, 11:52 PM
The Bow is often like that, one night you have all the right flies & are feeling the hero; the next night your flies are duds & you feel like a zero haha! Right now i've had pretty consistant luck on CDC caddis patterns & Henryville Special which is also a caddis pattern. You have to really watch the riseforms of the trout for clues as to what they are keying on that particular point in time. Splashy, showy rises usually indicate the fish are after hatching or egg laying caddis whereas subtle, discrete bubbly rises generaly indicate they are after easy prey such as emerging mayflies or spent mayfly spinners or maybe midges. Also spend a few minutes just staring at the water & try to get an idea of what kind of bugs are hatching & floating by. There have been many times when I have seen hundreds of trout rising during a heavy hatch of Blue Winged Olive or Pale Morning Dun mayflies, only to discover the bigger trout are keying on the random size #22 midges hidden amongst the flotillas of mayflies! Go figure hey?

grinr
08-22-2011, 10:54 AM

these were mayflies though.....or at least I pretty sure they was??i'll have to catch a couple bugs tonight i guess?

drhu22
08-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Ive been seeing a lot of mayflies in the last couple days... grey and also blue dun size 16 or so. Hope that helps.