PDA

View Full Version : Technique Specific Gear

JohnnyD
08-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Hey guys just looking for a little more insight on all this technique specific gear. I mostly walleye fish and mix it up with jigs, rigs, floats, cranks, and bottom bouncing. With all these different rods from St. Croix (eyecon), and Rapala (team issue walleye), I don't understand how different lengths and actions play into favouring a different technique. Hope someone can give me some good insight.

Currently I have a Fenwick 7' ML IM6 walleye class with a Quantum tour pro spinning reel, and a Shimano compre 7' ML with a quantum energy spinning reel.

Thanks,
John

RavYak
08-21-2011, 06:34 PM
6'6" rod is good for everything, easy to land fish whether on shore or in a boat. Longer rod lets you cast farther but can become akward, I was really tempted to buy an 8'6" rod I saw but in my canoe it would have been a royal pain for trying to land fish. Longer rods are better for shore fishing where you often need every inch of casting you can muster.

Light, medium, heavy rods etc just allow you catch heavier fish while still having decent sensitivity, try and catch a perch or trout on a heavy rod and you aren't going to feel them nibbling away but if you try and catch a sturgeon on a light rod its going to break. Just pick what you need for what you plan on fishing with(medium is good for walleye/pike).

Action of a rod affects how the rod bends and how fast it bends. Fast rod will bend more at the tip while slow rods bend over the whole rod. Fast rods react quicker and allow you to cast farther because they are stiffer and then provide a flick at the end of cast. Slow rods provide an easier fight as they are more forgiving(the bend keeps tension on lure easier). Slower action rods also smooth out the lure action keeping lures from twitching if you don't want them too, obviously for this reason a fast action is best for jigging etc because you want to jerk the lure.

Above is why most Alberta anglers prefer a 6'6" rod that is medium power and fast action. It works best for the type of fish we have here. If you want to go for larger fish(monster pike, sturgeon or to BC for salmon etc) you would want a longer heavier rod and medium action would probably be best. For mall fish like perch and smaller trout a light power medium action rod is nice as it keeps the tension on easier and reduces unwanted movements. Hopefully that helps a little.