PDA

View Full Version : belize or cuba?

steveo955
08-22-2011, 08:57 AM
anyone have experience with either place? looking at cayo largo cuba or mainland cuba, or belize. i plan on going middle of november. there is a ton of info online about both places but its hard to tell what is published by the charter companys and guides. i will be looking for the grand slam species. im looking for recomendations on locations, guides, and resorts. im not looking for "cheap" but for good value. i found one place recomended by "fishing the flats tv" that was all inclusive for $2400/night. wow. im also open to any other suggestions. thanks in advance

Joe Fehr
08-22-2011, 01:03 PM
I was to Belize and would definitely recommend it, people are excellent. You can line up charters from most hotels for a decent price and the fishing is excellent.

Can't give you more then that sorry! Anything you get from the big name fishing shows are going to be expensive!!

barbie_bambi_killer
08-22-2011, 11:17 PM
I've been to both places, didn't fish Cuba, but Belize was incredible! I was there doing a course and some research on the reef, so also only did a bit of fishing. But, of the 2 places as destinations, I would never go back to Cuba. Belize had incredible food, extremely friendly people and is "off the beaten path". Just my $0.02! An acquaintance has a place down there, does a charter every year and raves about it though!! Sorry I'm not much help with details on the fishing advice! Have fun an please post pics!

Pudelpointer
08-23-2011, 11:42 AM
This is completely second-hand info, so take it for what it is worth.

At one time Cuba was a great place to go, only because it was pretty much a 'do-it-your-self' kind of fishing destination. In recent years it sounds like things have deteriorated. Extreme poverty drives a lot of 'commercial' fishing activity (i.e. food fish).

Belize on the other hand, has been a top-notch fishing destination for a couple decades now. Great lodges, experienced guides, fantastic fishing. Because the Belizians (???) know the $ value of recreational fisheries (much better than our own provincial AB and BC governments, it appears) they have done an excellent job of protecting this amazing resource.

If you were going to Cuba anyway, then I would say go for it. But if you have the choice, and both are in your budget, then I would not hesitate to head for Belize and not think twice about Cuba.

JMO.

steveo955
08-23-2011, 03:46 PM
im leaning more toward belize because i believe i can get a guide for a few days and do it yourself for a few days. in cuba, cayo largo to be exact, you have to be guided and there is only one legel guide service for that whole island(cayo largo). i hope someone that has belize fishing experience chimes in! still searching for a good spot to stay

Teshalee
08-23-2011, 05:15 PM
We went to Cuba in Febuary of this year and booked a charter boat to take us fishing. 4 of us on the boat, Mom, dad, partner and I went out and in total caught 5 fish. Captain said it was a bad time to fish, we were on the boat for 8 hours and I think the total was about $500 for all of us (mom paid as it was a christmas gift ;) When we docked and spoke to other people on other boats no one caught a thing. If I could go back I doubt I'd fish there again... or at least find the right season to fish there.
Did Mexico the year before in Febuary and that was a much better story ;)

My vote would be to try Belize... Just my .02cents

nwt flyfisher
08-23-2011, 07:36 PM
ccccuuuubbbbaaa cuba is your best fishing search it up almost every salt water magazine has one havent gone there though have seen many articles

lifesaflyin
08-23-2011, 07:47 PM
I was to Belize and would definitely recommend it, people are excellent. You can line up charters from most hotels for a decent price and the fishing is excellent.

Can't give you more then that sorry! Anything you get from the big name fishing shows are going to be expensive!!

I have been to belize, never went fishing though. but, I want to go back! the country is very beautiful, you dont need to be fishin to have a wonderful time there.

Pikebreath
08-24-2011, 12:01 AM
There are about a half dozen known "hot spots" in Cuba that likely have superior fishing for bonefish and tarpon compared to anything in Belize,,, All but Las Salinas are on cayos off the main island. Cayo Largo is a very good fishery,,, but you must use Avalon guides which is fairly pricey.

The Jardine Dey la Reinas (another Avalon fishery ) may be one of the best flats fishing destinations for the "slam specIes" in the Carribean but it is not cheap!!

Avalon has a couple other cayo type fisheries (primarily tarpon with some bonefish and permit) they are promoting as well which again feature large, "dumb" fish and high price tags.

Las salinas on the Zapata Peninsula has a very good bonefishery and there is an excellent baby tarpon fishing available there as well,,,, all for a more moderate cost (as flats fishing trips go).

Perhaps the best budget Cuban fishing can be found at Cayo Coco / Cayo Romano. This is a good bonefishing destination with some permit and tarpon, and the cuda fishing is usually very good when weather shuts dwon the bonefishing. Fish Tales Flyshop in Calgary are the people to talk to about Cayo Coco fishing.

The logistics of any cuban fishing trip are much different than anything you will have experienced before,,, expect some glitches,,,,, and long "rides' (boat or vehicle) to your fishing destinations... let's just say things are different in cuba.

Belize does have more fishing "options" ranging from budget to "5 star luxury". Belize has decent to excellent bonefishing depending on the locale,,, but generally the bones will be smaller in Belize and harder to catch than Cuban bonefish. The tarpon fishing in Belize is good but seasonal for the most part. For permit, I would have to give the overall nod to Belize over Cuba.

steveo955
08-24-2011, 09:25 PM
wow! thanks for all the info.

steveo955
09-04-2011, 09:46 AM
what a nightmare picking a spot to stay in belize. just when i think i found one i check it out on trip advisor and find out it sucks. anyone have a suggestion for resorts/hotels?

Sundancefisher
09-04-2011, 10:06 AM
I stayed at the Sunbreeze in San Pedro. Catch a short hopper flight from the main airport...same place you arrive at. Belize is a little lawless...I would not advise leaving the airport grounds. Also keep you luggage close. You don't need a porter.

http://www.sunbreeze.net/

Food was great at the hotel and the pool was inviting. Rooms were air conditioned and comfortable. I even caught 22 inch bones off the beach one evening...although a local saw me and wanted to eat it...I released it. I felt safe...drinking and walking around at night. Lots of security and all the locals know where their bread is buttered. They don't tolerate bugging the tourists. Lots of shopping for souvenirs. I would say 8 out of 10 restaurants we ate at in the area were owned by Canadians. Our guide picked us up at the hotel dock every morning and dropped us off. We caught lots of bones on the west side of Ambergris...averaged about 12-14 inches with a few 16 and a rare 18 incher (expect one spot where they all seemed to be about 18). On the East side we saw bigger bones...18-24 inches...though not as many.

We got into a huge pile of 2-3 foot cudas...tons of fun. Caught a few beauty jacks. Caught my first ever permit. What a fight! Some guys also fished a bit on the reef...caught tons of variety including some small sailfish. I caught a few colorful snapper like the pretty strawberry grouper as well as some delicious Spanish mackerel.

I would recommend San Pedro in Belize...I have not fished Cuba.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Always take trip advisor with a grain of salt. It is being used more and more by people to bilk hotels of money by offering to remove bad reviews...for a discount or refund. If you want 5 star...you have to shop 5 star. This was a great spot...I thought for the tropics...probably 3.8 stars...and priced accordingly. For fishermen...it was perfect. For a movie star...not so much. As for bugs...I saw none when there in early May. Can't speak for other times. Geckos get most bugs. Air conditioning slows any down also. Tropics have bugs...some people on TripAdvisor need to stay home or go to Seattle and stay in a room rather than the Caribbean. IMHO.

Big Bull
09-04-2011, 10:38 AM
I've travelled to Belize twice and stayed on Caye Caulker both times. I couldn't afford guided trips at the time but we were able to catch fish in the evenings at the Split(where a hurricane cut a channel right through to the other side of the island) and the tarpon would school up there in the evenings when the tide would create a river like flow. We would catch snapper and grunt there with conche meat that I would buy from the kids. I found out later that small crabs would have worked on the tarpon. My friend had a tarpon hooked for about 10 minutes on a Rapala and light telescopic fishing rod, but it eventually spit the hook. Also saw lots of bonefish and permit. The snorkelling is amazing, especially at Holchan Marine Reserve near Ambergris Caye. Although I only flew into San Pedro to catch a boat to Caye Caulker, it was a beautiful town with white sand streets and lots of great little bars and retaurants. This was 20 years ago, so I'm sure things have changed, but I wouldn't hesitate going back.
No need to go to Belize city if you can avoid it.

bobalong
09-04-2011, 11:09 AM
It appears you may have decided to go to the Belize, but if you decide on Cuba I can recommend going to Cayo Coco. We were there a couple of years ago and stayed at the Tryp. Very nice resort and one of the best guides in the area works in the area. He is in high demand so if you are going to go there I would book him NOW. His name is Duniesky and he is a bonefish/fly fishing Guru. When we went the rate was about 175/day cd/ per day, per person. Although we met Duniesky and tried to fit in a day with him.......we did not succeed, I would not go back without booking at least 2 or 3 days with him. We were new to Bonefishing and after tallking to him one day for about a half an hour we realized he was the man to go with. Our boat came in one after noon when he came in, they had an excellent day with there biggest bones going 6 and 8 lbs, and 3 permit over 10 lbs.The guides we went with were fine, but they seemed more keen on the ocean fishing with big gear. Duniesky has a Facebook page but it does not appear active. His email is mybonefish@gmail.com.
There is some excellent DIY fishing about a 15 minute taxi ride from the Tryp. We fished a massive flat about 4-5 miles long. We were lucky and hit the tides about right, low tide was about 9 in the morning which worked well for us. You could still fish high tide, water about knee to mid thigh, compared to ankle deep at low tide. There were deeper spots but this was the average on the flats we fished.
There is virtually no fishing equipment or supplies there so take your own, the guides love it if you take something for them as well. I had an older fly reel and line that I gave our guide and you would think I gave him a milliion bucks. If you go with Duniesky take him fly tying materials, it is no existant there.
I thouroughy enjoyed Cuba and can not wait to get back. The people on Cayo Coco were excellent and although the food in the buffets was ok, the restaurant food was excellent. Although I hooked a few bonefish, I was not sucessful at getting one to hand, and it was still the most exciting and interesting fishing trips I have ever been on.

High tide fishing with the flamingos
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/CUBA/Cuba127.jpg

This was a gentleman (Gordon) from BC that we met there. Gordon is the guy that was booked with Duniesky and picked up the 8 lb bone and 13 lb Permit one day.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/CUBA/IMG_2760.jpg

This was the DIY flat we fished
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/CUBA/IMG_2789.jpg

Lots of Turtle Grass on this flat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/CUBA/Cuba035.jpg

Looking out at the ocean from the common area at the Tryp
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v45/bobalong/CUBA/Cuba006.jpg

steveo955
09-05-2011, 08:58 AM
does anyone know where to get the florescent tubing to make the cuda tubes? also any info on what spin gear to take. my wife does not flyfish and i would like to make sure she gets into some fish as well. thanks