PDA

View Full Version : Headed to Vancouver... suggestions?

commieboy
08-23-2011, 09:03 AM
I'll be driving to Vancouver for a few days. Does anybody have suggestions for some river/creek trout fishing along the way?

The plan is to head west on the Trans Canada, and then south on the 97 to get to the Okanogan (gonna hit some wineries), and from there.... What ever gets me to Vancouver with some quick fishing stops along the way.

I'm not really hung up on catching anything, since we'll be stopping here and there for only an hour max. I'd just like to get out, look around and cast a line.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Happy fishing.

Jayhad
08-23-2011, 09:12 AM
the rivers/creeks that would be worth fishing would be the Kettle, Skagit, and Thompson, the thompson is probably out of your way though. Most of the creeks/rivers on that side of the rockies are fairly weak compared to our river fishing. BC prides itself in trophy lake fishing, the river fishing is typically salmon fishing. I would personally try for some cuts or bulls in the skagit

commieboy
08-23-2011, 05:25 PM
the rivers/creeks that would be worth fishing would be the Kettle, Skagit, and Thompson, the thompson is probably out of your way though. Most of the creeks/rivers on that side of the rockies are fairly weak compared to our river fishing. BC prides itself in trophy lake fishing, the river fishing is typically salmon fishing. I would personally try for some cuts or bulls in the skagit

Thanks for that. I'll see if I can fit the Skagit in! Trophy lake fishing, you say?

Springer
08-23-2011, 08:27 PM
The Vedder just outside of Chilliwack is very worthy as well. My cousins that lived there used to catch some great steelhead.

commieboy
08-23-2011, 08:35 PM
The Vedder just outside of Chilliwack is very worthy as well. My cousins that lived there used to catch some great steelhead.

Thanks, Springer. Much appreciated!

Jayhad
08-24-2011, 08:42 AM

Yes it is but, right now there isn't any steel running up that system......

winged1
08-24-2011, 10:09 AM

Excellent suggestion, leave those beautiful rainbows for my trip in Sept.

If your up the Vedder, go right up and across from the provincial park. Dry fly delight.

BCSteel
08-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Excellent suggestion, leave those beautiful rainbows for my trip in Sept.

If your up the Vedder, go right up and across from the provincial park. Dry fly delight.

There are 4 provincial sites on the vedder/Chilliwack river but only the Tamihi and Allison Pools sites are on an open section of river depending on the time of year. If you plan on stopping in there any time between Sept and November, prepare your self to be surrounded by people who don't care about the fish or the outdoor experience of those around them. Lower BCs fresh water salmon fishery is so poorly managed that the Vedder is virtually the only river where an aspiring river mechanic can go for consistent hookups with anadromous fish. I personally would skip that particular river and spare myself the spectacle of greed that the DFO has spawned on it.

Jayhad
08-24-2011, 01:09 PM
There are 4 provincial sites on the vedder/Chilliwack river but only the Tamihi and Allison Pools sites are on an open section of river depending on the time of year. If you plan on stopping in there any time between Sept and November, prepare your self to be surrounded by people who don't care about the fish or the outdoor experience of those around them. Lower BCs fresh water salmon fishery is so poorly managed that the Vedder is virtually the only river where an aspiring river mechanic can go for consistent hookups with anadromous fish. I personally would skip that particular river and spare myself the spectacle of greed that the DFO has spawned on it.

Best description of the limits hole ever.
I started fishing the Chilliwack in 84, fished it heavily until I moved in the late 90's. It is a true example of "not what it used to be" went out there to look at it last year as I hadn't fished it for a few years and I was horrified by what I saw.
If you go wear your knife proof vest so when you get a tangle with the guys 2.5' from your right and left the knife fight won't be fatal:argue2:

commieboy
08-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. Very much appreciated.