PDA

View Full Version : Barnaby Ridge / Southforks Lakes this year?

Scott N
08-23-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm planning my first trip up there in the next week or two, and just wondered if anyone has been up there this year and how you made out? I've heard that the middle lake is probably the best one to fish, but I've never been up there.

I've read a lot of old post and I've been trying to decide whether to try Barnaby first or Rainy Ridge trying to catch a golden, but Barnaby sounds easier to find / get to, but the fishing not quite as good.

Any info appreciated!

Scott

waynep
08-23-2011, 07:19 PM
I have never been myself but from what I hear there is a very small window of time to fish these lakes. The days are getting shorter which makes the trip harder and they can start getting snow in September.

Dale S
08-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Myself and 2 of my buddies hike to Barnaby a few years ago.We were up there at the end of July and had good weather exept 1 hail storm. I caught the only fish in 3 days of fishing.It's one of the nicest spots in the Castle region well wirth the hike up. The start of the trail you have to cross the Castle River by foot so take a pair of water shoes you can change after crossing. Be aware of bears they will be in the barry patches.

slingshotz
08-24-2011, 08:53 AM
We hiked up there about 3 weeks ago. Unfortunately the wind was howling like crazy and turned the lakes into white caps. We had to fish the lower lake and got nothing but saw a few in there. The middle lake is supposed to be the best and some other guys bush wacked around the middle lake to get to the calm side and they said they did well.

A couple guys went the weekend after and the conditions were next to perfect and caught a lot. Check out the thread in Fly Fish Calgary forums for photos.

The hike up is killer but it was still worth it even though we got skunked.

Vessey
08-24-2011, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't suggest going to Rainy Ridge because the road in is extremely over grown and a truck doesn't fit without getting very scratch. If you have a quad or truck you don't care about it is fine though.