PDA

View Full Version : Kokanee Salmon Spawn/unfortunate event

Guitarplayingfish
08-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Hey,

I just got back from a pretty good adventure west. Camped by a creek for a couple days where the kokanee were spawning (was really cool to see, the creek was bright orange/red with fish!). I was pretty ****ed off though to see that there was a fence set up close to where the stream meets the lake and there were countless number of dead fish stuck in and on the fence. Even though Kokanee salmon die in 2 weeks after they start spawning, why wouldn't they want the population as high as possible? I have a lot of pictures but unfortunately they are too big to upload. Does anyone have an answer to why they are trapping and inevitably killing a ton of the spawning salmon?

Unfortunately on this trip we encountered a bear who was scrambling along the creek for salmon. We were fairly close to a campground, and before we knew it there were CO's hunting him. Sadly, he didnt come out alive as Im pretty sure he ate some campers food. It's a terrible thing to see an animal killed for this. Humanity has destroyed too many habitats, and yet everyone acts like the bear is in the wrong for being within human vicinity. Does this seem fair to anyone?

In conclusion to this rant, be bear aware and bear responsible. Your in THEIR territory, not the other way around.

As for you bear hunters.... for shame.

Itsmyfishingshow
08-24-2011, 09:42 PM
Hey,

I just got back from a pretty good adventure west. Camped by a creek for a couple days where the kokanee were spawning (was really cool to see, the creek was bright orange/red with fish!). I was pretty ****ed off though to see that there was a fence set up close to where the stream meets the lake and there were countless number of dead fish stuck in and on the fence. Even though Kokanee salmon die in 2 weeks after they start spawning, why wouldn't they want the population as high as possible? I have a lot of pictures but unfortunately they are too big to upload. Does anyone have an answer to why they are trapping and inevitably killing a ton of the spawning salmon?

Unfortunately on this trip we encountered a bear who was scrambling along the creek for salmon. We were fairly close to a campground, and before we knew it there were CO's hunting him. Sadly, he didnt come out alive as Im pretty sure he ate some campers food. It's a terrible thing to see an animal killed for this. Humanity has destroyed too many habitats, and yet everyone acts like the bear is in the wrong for being within human vicinity. Does this seem fair to anyone?

In conclusion to this rant, be bear aware and bear responsible. Your in THEIR territory, not the other way around.

As for you bear hunters.... for shame.

open in paint and click resize and resize them to half. i really want to see this

npauls
08-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Can't wait to see the pics. I thought you were going for a couple weeks out west? Did you get any fishing in?

Guitarplayingfish
08-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Can't wait to see the pics. I thought you were going for a couple weeks out west? Did you get any fishing in?

No =( Didnt want to pay for the license. Fished the crow today, risers all over the place. caught quite a few rainbows, and caught some cuttys day 1 on the trunk road. Was going to stay later, but we got tired and need to go to a wedding anyway. We needed a break from the hippy lifestyle.. hahaha. Anyway, here are some pics. Took me a while, and Im too lazy to post anymore :sign0176:

chubbdarter
08-24-2011, 10:16 PM
man made spawning beds....full to capacity...more fish only tear up existing redds

BrainTan
08-24-2011, 10:18 PM
The dead fish were likely spent from spawning, the fence doubtfully had anything to do with the deaths.

Guitarplayingfish
08-24-2011, 10:20 PM
The dead fish were likely spent from spawning, the fence doubtfully had anything to do with the deaths.

I hope your right. I thought the kokanee would travel up farther to spawn though? Or do they just find a spot that isnt too crowded and set up there? This fence wasnt far from where it delta'd into the lake?

BrainTan
08-24-2011, 10:22 PM
They'll spawn when they find the right conditions, and overcrowding can push less fit fish into less desirable substrate.

Dust1n
08-24-2011, 10:53 PM
awsome pics of the kokanees...

Tezma
08-25-2011, 01:15 AM
awsome pics of the kokanees...

Awsome Pics aswell.