PDA

View Full Version : really dumb question

cgall
08-25-2011, 02:41 PM
I am relatively new to river fishing and would like to fish in the bow by Carsland. My problem is that I have never used a spinner (lure) in a river. Do I need to weight it down? Would one cast upstream. down or across? As my title states, I know this is really basic, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere.

MoFugger21
08-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Though I tend to not fish rivers the size of the Bow (smaller mountain rivers for me), when using a spinner (Blue Fox, Mepps, Panther Martin, etc) you typically want to cast across the river or downstream, and let the current work the spinner back across while you are reeling in.

Though casting upstream can work for certain lures, you'll find by casting spinners upstream you don't get the desired "spinning" action. Also, the hook is more prone to jamming or snagging into the rocks as you don't have as much control working a spinner upstream as you do when casting downstream.

With a little practice and trial and error, you'll find what works best for different situations (fast moving water, bigger pools, shallow water, etc). Hope this helps a little.

Dust1n
08-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Dont use weight...cast your spinner about 4-1foot away from the banks and let it drift towards you. youll get the odd brown trout way out there feeding on whites but im sure most of us will agree the strikes come close to the bank and youll notice that too when your out fishing.
skinny spoons and countdowns work best IMO

0liver
08-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Dont use weight...cast your spinner about 4-1foot away from the banks and let it drift towards you. youll get the odd brown trout way out there feeding on whites but im sure most of us will agree the strikes come close to the bank and youll notice that too when your out fishing.
skinny spoons and countdowns work best IMO

x2 don't use split shot or anything just cast downstream and let the current work the blade of the spinner and give it little twitches . once the spinner drifts almost to the bank your on start to slowly retrieve giving extra interest in riffles, pools, fallen trees, 90 degree bends in the current, and anywhere you may think a brown could curl up into.

cgall
08-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Thank you all for the info. I wish there was a fishing school I could go to to learn some of these basic fishing techniques (without the kids ever finding out I didn't know it all)

bloopbloob
08-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Not a dumb question! I've spin-fished the bow quite a bit, and I'm still learning. If you want to use a spinner, use a larger one so you can get the casting distance, no extra weight on the line. The fish in there are big, so the slight increase in size for the extra weight doesn't cost you many fish. My best results so far has been a 3/8oz brown trout panther martin, but also small size 5/7/9 x-raps. Depending on the current, I'll cast straight out, or if its slow, maybe 30 degrees upstream, as long as I know the lure will still have action while coming downstream towards me, just have to reel in faster. Just try new things, it'll come! Fish structure, back-eddies, behind rocks, shadows, riffles etc. I try to put my hook over anywhere a fish would not have to constantly fight the current and be able to ambush prey floating by. I'll be fishing downtown sunday! Got a hot spot I have to check up on!

densa44
08-25-2011, 08:49 PM
To get more distance, and it helps a lot you can either throw more weight with all the problems that causes (catching the bottom) or go to lighter line, and a full spool (you can cast farther) Try hitting just on the down river side of large rocks in the river and as the spinner falls in the slow water behind the rock, give it a tug! Most of the rainbows will weigh a kilo or so and they are great fun.

A canoe and a friend help a lot.