PDA

View Full Version : First NSR Fish

RavYak
08-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Finally on my 3rd try I was able to land a fish, good thing too or I probably never would have gone back lol. Had both a pike and a walleye, walleye below. Too bad can't keep them, he would have made a tasty treat.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2698/cimg0017t.jpg

How does one catch a goldeye without using a worm or minnow? I hate buying bait and like to cast. Tried some trout powerbait I had kicking around but didn't get any bites on that.

Dust1n
08-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Finally on my 3rd try I was able to land a fish, good thing too or I probably never would have gone back lol. Had both a pike and a walleye, walleye below. Too bad can't keep them, he would have made a tasty treat.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2698/cimg0017t.jpg

How does one catch a goldeye without using a worm or minnow? I hate buying bait and like to cast. Tried some trout powerbait I had kicking around but didn't get any bites on that.

a fly(hopper pattern)

BGSH
08-25-2011, 10:39 PM
looks like the outfall ;)

Geezle
08-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Well, first off congrats on getting your first fish out of the NSR :cool: Unfortunately my crappy satellite internet is acting up out here and I can't see your pics right now.

Anyway, if you want to catch goldeye on hardware try small spoons and spinners. I tend to have good luck with lures that are at least partially - small Blue Fox spoons for example. Think of the kind of lures you'd toss at trout :)

BGSH
08-25-2011, 11:31 PM
worms also work great to, if you are releasing the goldeye however i sugest using small spinners in back eddys, try to avoid big deep pools as the pike and walleye are sitting in them and will eat a goldeye of he swimms in a pool, they usuually sit out in the current or back eddys, goodluck

SCOOBA_ACE
08-25-2011, 11:37 PM
I have always used spoons to catch goldies. I always try to cast as far out as I can. They seem to like it better away from shore.

MrCodyRandolph
08-26-2011, 08:09 AM
i fished that river every day for almost 2 weeks before i caught a fish. their crafty in that river.

RavYak
08-26-2011, 08:48 AM
worms also work great to, if you are releasing the goldeye however i sugest using small spinners in back eddys, try to avoid big deep pools as the pike and walleye are sitting in them and will eat a goldeye of he swimms in a pool, they usuually sit out in the current or back eddys, goodluck

That might of been the issue. I was using a Mepps aglia size 0 orange spinner but was in a deep pool where I had caught the pike and walleye.

I have never caught a goldeye so trying to figure them out still.

Darren N
08-26-2011, 09:45 AM
Nice catch.

cranky
08-26-2011, 02:32 PM
i fished that river every day for almost 2 weeks before i caught a fish. their crafty in that river.

Im the same. I just recently started fishing the NSR (coupla weeks maybe) and i cant catch a thing and im throwing everything i got at it. Much as i hate it i might have to use bait. Really dont want to though.
Maybe all them young fellas on here that catch dozens out there are fishing at night when a old guy like me is in bed. Cause when im out there no one is catching except the odd fish.

Nice fish RAV.

hunter49
08-26-2011, 03:19 PM

worms also work great to

hmmm....:sHa_sarcasticlol: