PDA

View Full Version : taking first time fishermen to k lakes...

seahawkfisher
08-26-2011, 11:09 AM
My nephews are really excited to try fishing while we go camping out there for labour day weekend but i have no experience fishing those lakes. Will be fishing from a boat and am hoping to help them catch a few fish and get them hooked on the sport. any hints on depth or tips on lures would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Tezma
08-26-2011, 01:00 PM
I won't tell you what fly I use but. Recommend trolling with a fly of your choice.
Or spinners, south side by the waterfall.

thats if your going to upper k lake

Daceminnow
08-26-2011, 07:34 PM
I won't tell you what fly I use but. Recommend trolling with a fly of your choice.
Or spinners, south side by the waterfall.

thats if your going to upper k lake

that's helpful Tez? try an green leech or bugger. green always seems to do well in the upper lake. watch for risers along the shorelines as well, there should be some hatches happening up there now. throw drys to match what they're feasting on. if they're really going to town on top even try throwing big foam at them. if you're not a fly guy, sorry i can't help much with metal selections. maybe others will chime in.

Dace

commieboy
08-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Dace confirms what I have thought for a while now. Green is a good choice for the cutts in upper. I usually go size 16 green caddis, drakes or anything similar. No fly rods? Try a bobber and extra leader with a dry fly on the end. Just let it sit.

seahawkfisher
08-28-2011, 11:21 AM
thanks for the ideas. I have both fly and spinning gear but the kids are very young and will be limited to spinning gear. think we might try the fly and bobber trick as well as trolling a. I have had some good success trolling using snap weights and hot shots on other mountain lakes; that technique might land the odd fish as well.
i'll be sure to post how the boys make out
cheers