PDA

View Full Version : lake newell

B.O.
01-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Is any one able to catch walleye here in the winter? I have caught dozens in the 7-10lbs range in open water and I would consider this to be the best trophy walleye lake I have ever seen, but on hardwater it's like they don't exist. I fished there yesterday, drove for 20 mins. across the lake to some spots I had on my gps. Drilled over 2 dozen holes and never seen any thing but whitefish everywhere. I ended up only catching one pike all day, that I kept because I wasn't quick enough to strike my quick strike rig and the fish sewed its throat shut with trebles requiring major surgery. The ice was around 15" and I drove my 1ton truck on it with no problems.

KJPFISH
01-13-2008, 08:55 PM
That's a brute of pike, but unfortunately we didn't see any like that at Newell today. It was a fairly slow day. Three of us only managed 8 all day, with no big ones at all. Tried the SW corner and the east side. I have been out to Newell 4 times now and haven't even seen a wally. We catch them all the time in the summer - my biggest this year was a 33" - 12# hog. Last year and the year before we got a few through the ice while we we targeting pike. They must be there somewhere!

Barbwire
01-13-2008, 11:52 PM
How much did that big girl wiegh B.O. ????

Very nice fish

Quite a few walleye died this summer at newell due to the high water tempertures.... Theres still lots around Im sure but many didnt make it:(

Do you guys know when the derby is at Newell and where to register???

Quantum
01-14-2008, 03:23 PM
oh wow, what a beast of a pike!!!

B.O.
01-14-2008, 07:15 PM
That pike was 40" probably weighed 18-20lbs. I was at newell last august when all the fish died, but I only saw hundreds of whitefish. We did manage to get good sized walleye there right up till freeze up.

Wilbur
01-14-2008, 11:35 PM
hwere is this newell lake i am thinking about fishing there if it is somewhere around red deer i will get my brother inlaw to drive me there since the ltd is acting up again

KJPFISH
01-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Lake Newell is located about 15 min. south of Brooks.

smoky the bear
01-15-2008, 07:10 PM
just wondering when the derby at Newell is and who do you contact for tickets. Love to catch one of those boys...

dee jay
09-18-2010, 08:43 PM
if u are out fishing in early spring at newell, what would be the best kind of lure for pike?? anyone help me out?