PDA

View Full Version : 3 month old reel needs grease already?

Geezle
08-27-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm just wondering if anybody else has had an issue with Quantum reels needing grease. I've got a Quantum Burst low profile baitcaster that I got about 3 months ago. The reel has mainly been used on my pike rod, so it doesn't see tons of action...it gets used on average probably less than once a week.

Last weekend I was out fishing on Wab and as the day progressed it seemed like the grease had dried up and I could feel the gears meshing as I reeled. By the end of the afternoon it was so bad that I could even hear the gears meshing - it sounded and felt like I was reeling up a zipper! :sign0161:

I'm going to open it up tonight and grease the bejesus out of it, but is there anything else I should be checking for while I'm in there?

Dust1n
08-27-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm just wondering if anybody else has had an issue with Quantum reels needing grease. I've got a Quantum Burst low profile baitcaster that I got about 3 months ago. The reel has mainly been used on my pike rod, so it doesn't see tons of action...it gets used on average probably less than once a week.

Last weekend I was out fishing on Wab and as the day progressed it seemed like the grease had dried up and I could feel the gears meshing as I reeled. By the end of the afternoon it was so bad that I could even hear the gears meshing - it sounded and felt like I was reeling up a zipper! :sign0161:

I'm going to open it up tonight and grease the bejesus out of it, but is there anything else I should be checking for while I'm in there?

try opening up the reel and tighten up the gear. it usaly does this on spinning reels but im not too sure about baitcasters. i got a shimmano agility baitcaster and iv been using it for years and its yet to need lube. mabe you just got some sand in there and it needs a wash

horsetrader
If it only 3 months old i would not open it just take it in

0liver
don't get em wet. I've had the same issue. Have you ever had the line [especially braid] get stuck in the little space on the inside of the bail, where the line touches as it is being fed in, the little guide ring. some quantum spin casters have this issue and im wondering how one would go about fixing it. it only happens if my rod is facing right though, its really weird.

Dust1n
08-27-2011, 11:03 AM
don't get em wet. I've had the same issue. Have you ever had the line [especially braid] get stuck in the little space on the inside of the bail, where the line touches as it is being fed in, the little guide ring. some quantum spin casters have this issue and im wondering how one would go about fixing it. it only happens if my rod is facing right though, its really weird.

why cant you wash it>? i wash mine everytime i use it.

Geezle
08-27-2011, 11:06 AM
If it only 3 months old i would not open it just take it in

I'm pretty sure the receipt for this reel is long gone :o

I've got another little baitcaster that I've gotta take apart tonight as well, so it's no biggie to open this one up and gob some grease in there.

I'm just wondering if it's a common thing - word on the street is that Quantum reels are typically very light on the grease out of the box and often need more, but I have no evidence to back this up.

horsetrader
08-27-2011, 11:09 AM

I've got another little baitcaster that I've gotta take apart tonight as well, so it's no biggie to open this one up and gob some grease in there.

I'm just wondering if it's a common thing - word on the street is that Quantum reels are typically very light on the grease out of the box and often need more, but I have no evidence to back this up.

LOL i hear ya have to keep my fishing gear receipts in my business files or i lose them lol just like tools to me

Geezle
08-27-2011, 11:18 AM
LOL i hear ya have to keep my fishing gear receipts in my business files or i lose them lol just like tools to me

Yeah, I really need to just start a folder or something for all my fishing related receipts. But then I'd have to worry about wifey finding said stash of receipts and realizing how much I spend on fishing! :budo: :sHa_sarcasticlol:

buckmasterjr
08-27-2011, 11:36 AM

Jay,

Pick up some of that quantum hot sauce. one of my quantum energy spinning reels was making the same noise you described and I couldnt figure out what was wrong with it so I tried putting a few drops of oil in the gears and on the bearings and put some grease in and problem solved. My dad got mad at me though because that hot sauce is $10 for the oil and $10 for the grease.:sign0068:

hunter49
08-27-2011, 01:13 PM
It's a quantum....what did ya expect?:sign0161:

buckmasterjr
08-27-2011, 01:25 PM

All of my quantums get hot sauce now when I buy them. you are right that there is not much. I have 5 high end quantum reels now and every one of them has very little grease. They say in the owners manual that they have hot sauce in them but I think its not true. Hot sauce is red and the stuff it comes with is almost like a grey-ish browny color.

horsetrader
08-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I really need to just start a folder or something for all my fishing related receipts. But then I'd have to worry about wifey finding said stash of receipts and realizing how much I spend on fishing! :budo: :sHa_sarcasticlol:

LOLOL thats why mine are in with business and not household :test:

Geezle
08-27-2011, 05:10 PM
It's a quantum....what did ya expect?:sign0161:

Yup, I'm chalking it up to a lesson learned.

Seemed like a good deal at the time though! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

RavYak
08-27-2011, 05:55 PM
I had a abumatic reel for just under 2 months. It came loose inside or something and the little buttons wouldn't push out. I took it and a rod that I bought at the same time back to Canadian tire and returned them(rod tip broke, probably my cousin's fault but thought I would see if they would take it and they did, didn't even ask any questions about it). Just had the clerk look up my receipt as I paid for it with Visa(most stores can look up your receipt if you pay with credit) and there was no questions asked after that.

Ended up getting the exact same reel back in a combo package for $8 more then I paid for the reel the first time. Also picked up some more goodies to more then off set the credit back lol. It was a pleasant surprise to be able to return the items without a receipt, made a $100+ purchase into a $20 one :47b20s0:

jeprli
08-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Had same issues with my quantum accurist baitcaster. Nothing to worry, take it apart, clean moving parts in soapy water, inspect for abnormal wear, if everything looks good grease it up with hotsauce, put it back together, put some more grease if needed and you're set.

Don't over lube it, it's going to have a negative effect, just enough to get mOving parts covered. :)

great white whaler
08-28-2011, 01:58 PM
i have a quantum as well two years of pike fishing and its garbage the crown and pinion as a lot of sloppy play not adjustable ...me thinks i am going back to mitchell .