PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Upper/Lower Kananaskis Lake?

ub3rst4r
08-27-2011, 05:18 PM
I am planning on going camping at Boulton Creek next weekend and I was wondering where the good fishing spots are and what are good lures to use at the upper or lower Kananaskis Lake?

TheBatman
09-10-2011, 04:49 PM
I found some hot spots on the upper lake are near the boat launch. You can also take a 1K hike/walk along the path from the boat launch parking lot and fish near the waterfall. Another spot I had good luck was at the Interlakes (very end of Smith Dorian Trail, and go to the top of the hill). As for lures, spoons and panther martins worked for me. Lower lake you can try by the power plant.

Tezma
09-10-2011, 04:54 PM
I know what flys work. But I wll not tell you or anyone on this thread.

Sorry,

Troll with flys lol. only hint.

Unknown303
09-10-2011, 05:05 PM

Sorry,

Thanks for posting that. You are a wealth of information...:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dust1n
09-10-2011, 05:07 PM
using dark flies on lower K and bright on the upper K
pink scuds under a indacator work good for cutties.
for numbers go to the upper k and bigger fish lower K
for lower K find a stream and fish the mouths but iv caught some big bulls right out from the parking lot.

fredieC
09-10-2011, 08:02 PM
i always had luck with pheasant nymph, prince nymph, also search for kananaskis lakes here on this forum and u will find lots of post regarding what to use, good luck...fishing..!!!!

FishingFrenzy
09-10-2011, 08:40 PM

Sorry,

Wow. Just...Wow.

Okay. WHY THE H**L EVEN POST if your going to say you know something about a certain topic but aren't willing too share? How is that contributing to anything?? Grow up. If you think not sharing which flys work on the K lakes is going to stop people from fishing it...or stop people from catching fish...your wrong. Basically it just makes you an a**h***

Btw..im going to go to the K lakes, find which flys work and then POST them ON HERE just to ruin it for you. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Unknown303
09-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Wow. Just...Wow.

Okay. WHY THE H**L EVEN POST if your going to say you know something about a certain topic but aren't willing too share? How is that contributing to anything?? Grow up. If you think not sharing which flys work on the K lakes is going to stop people from fishing it...or stop people from catching fish...your wrong. Basically it just makes you an a**h***

Btw..im going to go to the K lakes, find which flys work and then POST them ON HERE just to ruin it for you. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Yeah I don't understand why people show up on forums (aka Online communities) and then are tight lipped about spots or lures/flies that work. If you don't want to share you can always not come on here, but wait, the fact a person still comes on here probably means that they try to get more better spots off other people but is unwilling to share on their end. Really classy. I'm actually going to the summit of Yamnuska Monday morning and then heading into K country for a bit of fishing, so if I find anything I'll actually do the decent thing and let some of the newcomers know where I was and what I used.

sanjuanworm
09-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I was there last weekend fishing a prince nymph size 14 and a red/white and black/silver chrironomid in size 16 under 9ft.

I caught 15 cutthroat and one 22" bull. Surprisingly the bull took the size 16 chironomid.

chubbdarter
09-10-2011, 09:29 PM
im no K lakes expert....but i sure had fun there last time.
I do however tie alot of flys for some great K- lakes fisherman. I recomeend you do a search of Daceminnow's posts and threads......he tells all.

Here are some of the most asked for flies for K lakes i get.
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/azzrocket2/001-67.jpg
sorry about the picture color.....greens and blacks mostly, with some dubbed a lime green/brown/black combo.
these flies catch the guys bigger fish but smaller flies do work.
I have yet to have anyone try a big bunny up there yet.

p.s.....Dace also catches fish on the blindman stone under a indicator....that i still cant figure out, but he posted pics so go figure

good luck

TheBatman
09-10-2011, 11:04 PM
At the start of the season olive or green woolly buggers worked great for me a few weeks ago, or as sanjuanworm sugested prince nymphs.

Eddy62
09-11-2011, 04:23 PM
im no K lakes expert....but i sure had fun there last time.
I do however tie alot of flys for some great K- lakes fisherman. I recomeend you do a search of Daceminnow's posts and threads......he tells all.

Here are some of the most asked for flies for K lakes i get.
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/azzrocket2/001-67.jpg
sorry about the picture color.....greens and blacks mostly, with some dubbed a lime green/brown/black combo.
these flies catch the guys bigger fish but smaller flies do work.
I have yet to have anyone try a big bunny up there yet.

p.s.....Dace also catches fish on the blindman stone under a indicator....that i still cant figure out, but he posted pics so go figure

good luck

nice.. thanks

Scott N
09-11-2011, 06:08 PM
I would think that most of the big bulls from the lower lake are up Smith-Dorrien spawning right now.

Dust1n
09-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I would think that most of the big bulls from the lower lake are up Smith-Dorrien spawning right now.

most of the big bulls dont spawn every year.

Scott N
09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
most of the big bulls dont spawn every year.

I did not know that. Have you ever gone up to the spawning observatory that they used to (still do?) have set up?

Dust1n
09-11-2011, 06:27 PM
I did not know that. Have you ever gone up to the spawning observatory that they used to (still do?) have set up?

i havent been there ever but i do know bull trout dont spawn every year making it hard for them to comeback after over fishing.

Logan
09-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Jig tipped with a minnow.......

just kidding, Ive always had amazing luck in the Lower in 65ft+ of water with white jigs right on the bottom. Or Zinger Minnows/Buss Bombs by the power station.

bonedogg
09-12-2011, 12:43 PM
i was always told to drag Doc spratley flies on the surface

Daceminnow
09-13-2011, 12:42 PM
I was there last weekend fishing a prince nymph size 14 and a red/white and black/silver chrironomid in size 16 under 9ft.

I caught 15 cutthroat and one 22" bull. Surprisingly the bull took the size 16 chironomid.

yes. this selection will work from ice off through the open water season on the upper lake.

no fish looking up there on the week-end SJW?

Dace

sanjuanworm
09-13-2011, 01:18 PM
It was too sunny out and hot when I was there. The odd lil guys were rising but not the big ones. If you're going to dry fly, fish this lake early morning or later eve.

The smaller cutts were hitting my indicator. I almost tied a hopper on for an indie but I was catching enough as it was.

Squeeker
09-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Troll big bright dry flies and streamers, they'll hammer 'em hard. White flies work good too when trolled. Meow.:argue2: There's the secret lol

ADIDAFish
09-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Anybody know if they are planning on stocking any cutties this year in either of the K lakes or are they just waiting until next year?

RayL42
09-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Anybody know if they are planning on stocking any cutties this year in either of the K lakes or are they just waiting until next year?

I heard they are going to stock the upper at the end of this month, however this was second hand so take that for what ever it is worth.

sanjuanworm
09-14-2011, 01:15 PM
I think you should reword it to say bull trout food instead of cutties.

slivers86
10-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Any updates on how the lakes have been the last couple weeks?

Tezma
10-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Troll big bright dry flies and streamers, they'll hammer 'em hard. White flies work good too when trolled. Meow.:argue2: There's the secret lol

I don't know about that! LOL,

This time of season, I would use somthing like bow river booger lol...

they hammer that hard, While trolling!

FishingFrenzy
10-02-2011, 08:17 AM
I don't know about that! LOL,

This time of season, I would use somthing like bow river booger lol...

they hammer that hard, While trolling!

So not only will you not share....you will also contradict what other people offer for advice.....

You my friend are a :dork:

I've heard from some people that trolling a white streamer their in the fall can be killer....but watch out...tezma will say im wrong.

bisonhunter
10-02-2011, 04:59 PM
I've trolled a big brown bead head wooly bugger behind a spincast rod with monofilament that just killed them in LK. that however was in JuLy, give it a try. Hope this is that other fella's secret, if not oh well but it sure hammered them good.

slivers86
10-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Any RECENT updates on K lakes???

Tezma
10-02-2011, 10:30 PM
So not only will you not share....you will also contradict what other people offer for advice.....

You my friend are a :dork:

I've heard from some people that trolling a white streamer their in the fall can be killer....but watch out...tezma will say im wrong.

This guy is WRONG, Because he is from EDMONTON:sHa_sarcasticlol:.:snapoutofit:

Any bugger would work!

Nakoda boater
10-04-2011, 09:42 AM
We trolled the upper sunday before last and only got one keeper cutthrout. Caught it on a drab olive streamer, lotsa hits on this streamer too.

Tezma
10-05-2011, 01:03 PM
We trolled the upper sunday before last and only got one keeper cutthrout. Caught it on a drab olive streamer, lotsa hits on this streamer too.

If you use the biggest fly you got with a size 10 hook and troll that ...

make sure theres a drop hook near the end of the tail.. and you will have a every hit..

Tip: when trolling upper Kanny for trout. When you get a hit or have one on.. don't stop trolling... Or they will throw the hook