PDA

View Full Version : Hermitage Pond

dan1
08-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Wondering if anyone's been out to Hermitage Pond lately and if so how is the fishing?

Thinking of heading out there one day next weekend.

Thanks,
Dan

FishlessFool
08-28-2011, 09:36 PM
I don't think there's many fish left in there, the pelicans have all left about a month ago and I never see any anglers around the pond any more.

BGSH
08-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Fished out!!

dan1
08-29-2011, 05:47 PM
How sad! Anyone have any luck elsewhere lately for Rainbows around Edmonton? With Hasse contaiminated and nothing in Hermitage, I'm looking for some other ideas.

ghostguy6
08-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Most of the ponds around Edmonton have been hit hard this year! Muir would be worth a try since the size limit is something like 1 over 53cm

BGSH
08-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Muir lake sucks, sauer lake or chiccakoo lake or cardiff pond is worth a try as it is 5 per person :)

dan1
08-29-2011, 07:58 PM
How accessable is Chickakoo lake from the shore? Is there a dock there that makes it fishable without a float tube or boat?

FishingFrenzy
08-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Muir lake sucks, sauer lake or chiccakoo lake or cardiff pond is worth a try as it is 5 per person :)

Just so new people know...... this is a joke of some sort. Muir is one of the better trout ponds around, and its no secret.

BGSH
08-29-2011, 09:57 PM
Just so new people know...... this is a joke of some sort. Muir is one of the better trout ponds around, and its no secret.

not really one of the best, mud up to your head and you need a pontoon boat, plus it winter killed this winter so sauer and chiccakkoo are way better because they are stocked with more fish

Dak1138
08-30-2011, 08:53 AM
not really one of the best, mud up to your head and you need a pontoon boat, plus it winter killed this winter so sauer and chiccakkoo are way better because they are stocked with more fish

so all those monster fish you caught or got away from you at muir the last couple of weeks were not worth it? In all fairness it is pretty muddy but i do not think it totally winter killed and you are not suppose to keep anything under half a metre so iam not sure what you are talking about.unless you think you are doing the fishing world a favor by pretending that it is not worth a visit.

waterninja
08-30-2011, 09:23 AM
Wondering if anyone's been out to Hermitage Pond lately and if so how is the fishing?

Thinking of heading out there one day next weekend.

Dan

i am new at this so not sure you will even get this. I have been fishing hermitage regularly all summer (aprox 50 times in last 2 months) and have only been skunked once. they are getting bigger. My wife and I went on monday aug. 29 and caught 7 in 2 hours. smallest was 11 in. and 3 were 13 to 16 in. by middle of sept should be in 2 lbs. range. best fishing from dock area to 200 ft. north along shore line.

nichead
08-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Shawn you went from shore fisherman on the river to a pretentious shore fly fisherman on trout lakes. That's all fine but you shouldn't lie to people. Muir did not winterkill and you know it.

I understand you don't want people to find out your hot spots but maybe you should stop posting pics and telling about your adventures if you don't want people to know. Ya i'm sure you started to see a lot of people using your black jig walleye catching method at the hermitage outfall. That's just your fault because you posted a bunch of pictures and told everyone where and how you did it in a public forum.

It's great you're into catch and release and follow the regs but it's almost like you don't care about the sport, you care more about the status and bragging rights.

I guess those snooty muir lake kids got to you. You quickly went from a decent harmless guy that really liked to share info to new fisherman a lying pretentious fly kid. Too bad you're not that great of a fisherman, you're just a guy with a couple rods and a vehicle that hits up the common fish spots around Edmonton and casts from shore. You only catch a lot of fish because you spend a lot of time fishing.

Save your money this winter, buy a boat next year and fish for a couple more seasons and travel a little further. Get some friends too. Then maybe you'll realize there's more to fishing than showing your great catches to strangers on the internet. Right now you're just a joke within the Edmonton fishing community.

I'm sorry if all that sounded harsh shawn but you shouldn't lie, muir did not winterkill. Also chickakoo and sauer didn't get that much more fish stocked this year. Especially when you factor in that hundreds of fish are pulled out of those lakes every week by bait fisherman.

0liver
08-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Shawn you went from shore fisherman on the river to a pretentious shore fly fisherman on trout lakes. That's all fine but you shouldn't lie to people. Muir did not winterkill and you know it.

I understand you don't want people to find out your hot spots but maybe you should stop posting pics and telling about your adventures if you don't want people to know. Ya i'm sure you started to see a lot of people using your black jig walleye catching method at the hermitage outfall. That's just your fault because you posted a bunch of pictures and told everyone where and how you did it in a public forum.

It's great you're into catch and release and follow the regs but it's almost like you don't care about the sport, you care more about the status and bragging rights.

I guess those snooty muir lake kids got to you. You quickly went from a decent harmless guy that really liked to share info to new fisherman a lying pretentious fly kid. Too bad you're not that great of a fisherman, you're just a guy with a couple rods and a vehicle that hits up the common fish spots around Edmonton and casts from shore. You only catch a lot of fish because you spend a lot of time fishing.

Save your money this winter, buy a boat next year and fish for a couple more seasons and travel a little further. Get some friends too. Then maybe you'll realize there's more to fishing than showing your great catches to strangers on the internet. Right now you're just a joke within the Edmonton fishing community.

I'm sorry if all that sounded harsh shawn but you shouldn't lie, muir did not winterkill. Also chickakoo and sauer didn't get that much more fish stocked this year. Especially when you factor in that hundreds of fish are pulled out of those lakes every week by bait fisherman.

holy smokes.. calm down brother its not like he broke the fishing taboo by trying to hide muir lake... It is probably the only place in the edmonton area where you can catch 20'' + trout consistently, and I wouldn't hold it against him for saying it dried up completely let alone winter killed!

chill out is all im saying...

nichead
08-30-2011, 01:26 PM
holy smokes.. calm down brother its not like he broke the fishing taboo by trying to hide muir lake... It is probably the only place in the edmonton area where you can catch 20'' + trout consistently, and I wouldn't hold it against him for saying it dried up completely let alone winter killed!

chill out is all im saying...

Well come on? The guy is a joke and you know it. If you or even anyone else would have posted that about muir it would be fine. But this is the guy who spends 50% of his life fishing and the other 50% on here posting pictures. Then he takes a few trips to muir and all of a sudden he's become one of the fly fishing scenesters and wants to keep muir on the hush hush, if you're gonna post pics of the fish you catch in the alberta forums and brag about it you should be willing to provide location. Fishing for bragging rights is mental.

Muir is no secret. The size limit and bait ban keeps it pretty good I don't think it needs best guide shawn to protect it. The flock of fly fishing hipsters that go there are good enough at making people feel unwelcome without him.

0liver
08-30-2011, 01:48 PM
you know this about shawn how? have you ever even met him in person? I have! hes a great guy ! and not the first one to try and hide his honey hole :angry3: jesus you take this way to personally and its actually quite offending to read..

nichead
08-30-2011, 02:04 PM
you know this about shawn how? have you ever even met him in person? I have! hes a great guy ! and not the first one to try and hide his honey hole :angry3: jesus you take this way to personally and its actually quite offending to read..

Well i'm sorry if it hurts his feelings. There are people on the forum learning to fish, or new to the area. If you want to keep a secret on an area then just don't say anything. Don't give intentionally wrong advice.

Do you not see how this is a problem oliver??

The original poster was looking for advice on hermitage,
Shawn tells him it's fished out. (which is untrue by the way).
ghostguy suggests checking out muir and then shawn continues to give false advice.

So now the original poster now thinks hermitage has no fish, and that muir lake has winterkilled and no access. and shawn sends him to 2 not so good trout ponds.

Why would he do this? What's the result? The guy came here for advice and since shawn has a reputation on here for someone that catches a lot of fish then he is going to follow his advice. Now rumours spread that muir lake is no good and this guy is unable to enjoy his weekend. At least shawn got the lake to himself though!

Does anyone agree with me that giving false advice on purpose is bad?

Phanman
08-30-2011, 02:59 PM
agreed Nichead... Im new to fishing and come on here for advise on what to use for lures as well as fishing locations. I try not to ask for advise on where to fish because i know ppl dont want to share their secret fishing holes. But I do use the search function to see peoples reviews on places on an aprox location I want to fish in. If he told me not to fish there cause it sucks I would have believed him. Very shady business to out right lie to someone rather then not posting anything at all.

I would hesitate to come back to this forum if I consistantly got intentional misleading advise.

Not here to compete with anyone @ their fishing hole, just looking to enjoy a new sport and have some fun.

He should be ashamed of himself

maclennanchris
08-30-2011, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=nichead;1062892]Well come on? The guy is a joke and you know it. If you or even anyone else would have posted that about muir it would be fine. But this is the guy who spends 50% of his life fishing and the other 50% on here posting pictures. Then he takes a few trips to muir and all of a sudden he's become one of the fly fishing scenesters and wants to keep muir on the hush hush, if you're gonna post pics of the fish you catch in the alberta forums and brag about it you should be willing to provide location. Fishing for bragging rights is mental.

Im not here to defend anybody, but really dude??? Your a pretty intense guy. Just cause guys fly fish does not mean you gotta have a hate on for them. Wow. I fly fish and really dont like you to summerize us all as *******s. And you know what, I heard from another guy that there was some winter kill on Muir. Does that make me a joke too. Im not gonna change your mind thats for sure...just give someone the same respect as you would expect for yourself when talking about someone on a public forum...

0liver
08-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Just FYI, Don't call people out on a public forum and call them outright liars as muir has been slower then past years, and he may just have heard that hermitage was fished out.. nobodys perfect and to generalize fly fisherman like that is also a no-no.

I seriously think you should take a step back and breathe before you just spazz like that on someone. If I had known about a small pothole lake that produced decently large fish, I would tell no one. I already am starting to see Mr. Lawnchair parked on the far side of muir still fishing...

water under the bridge as they say... but I hope you know that you offended more then one person just blowing up like that... totally uncalled for dude.

nichead
08-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Im not here to defend anybody, but really dude??? Your a pretty intense guy. Just cause guys fly fish does not mean you gotta have a hate on for them. Wow. I fly fish and really dont like you to summerize us all as *******s. And you know what, I heard from another guy that there was some winter kill on Muir. Does that make me a joke too. Im not gonna change your mind thats for sure...just give someone the same respect as you would expect for yourself when talking about someone on a public forum...

Didn't mean to summarize fly fishers, I love fly fishing. I'm talking about the snooty ones that look down on anyone that doesn't do anything but fly fish for trout. There's a lot of them at muir.

The point of my post was that it's wrong for someone to intentionally lie to keep people away from an entire lake. Maybe I got too personal but I think it's advice he needs to hear.

0liver
08-30-2011, 03:43 PM
The point of my post was that it's wrong for someone to intentionally lie to keep people away from an entire lake. Maybe I got too personal but I think it's advice he needs to hear.

How do you know that shawn was even lying? Muir has been slower then past years. yes there are still whoppers in there, but for all he knows he was telling the truth.

nichead
08-30-2011, 03:47 PM
If I had known about a small pothole lake that produced decently large fish, I would tell no one. I already am starting to see Mr. Lawnchair parked on the far side of muir still fishing...

Ya, you would tell no one cos you're a decent person and you would leave it at that. You wouldn't lie and say it winterkilled then post pictures of the 20+ inchers you catch there.

Majority of people here are looking for advice and not even posting. Just browsing because they want to learn. Lying to keep people away from an entire lake is not helping the people that want to learn and share fishing information.

ghostguy6 was just trying to be helpful to the original poster and shawn immediately replied saying he was wrong and that muir sucks. Shawn also has posts from this season talking about how great the fishing at muir has been. He gave that wrong advice on purpose. You can't deny that.

If you lie, you will be called out on it. Especially when your lies are for selfish reasons.

nichead
08-30-2011, 03:54 PM
How do you know that shawn was even lying? Muir has been slower then past years. yes there are still whoppers in there, but for all he knows he was telling the truth.

Because he's been there and has posted pictures of big trout from there and talked about it on here. Unless he actually believes they stocked them that size or they grew 20inches in 4 months then he is lying about the winterkill.

For pete's sake why are you defending him? He has a post titled "Awsome day on the N.S.R and out at Muir lake " with pictures of a 2foot rainbow he caught.

then 3 days later he's posting to this guy saying it sucks and winterkilled and sending him to a worse lake full of dink fish.

How is that not lying??

dan1
08-30-2011, 06:02 PM
i am new at this so not sure you will even get this. I have been fishing hermitage regularly all summer (aprox 50 times in last 2 months) and have only been skunked once. they are getting bigger. My wife and I went on monday aug. 29 and caught 7 in 2 hours. smallest was 11 in. and 3 were 13 to 16 in. by middle of sept should be in 2 lbs. range. best fishing from dock area to 200 ft. north along shore line.

Might still check it out then afterall. Not sure about the access of others from shore so don't want to be up to my ears in mud.

Thanks for the insight and welcome to the forum!

BGSH
08-30-2011, 07:35 PM
By the way, Muir did winter kill

BGSH
08-30-2011, 07:45 PM
Because he's been there and has posted pictures of big trout from there and talked about it on here. Unless he actually believes they stocked them that size or they grew 20inches in 4 months then he is lying about the winterkill.

For pete's sake why are you defending him? He has a post titled "Awsome day on the N.S.R and out at Muir lake " with pictures of a 2foot rainbow he caught.

then 3 days later he's posting to this guy saying it sucks and winterkilled and sending him to a worse lake full of dink fish.

How is that not lying??

Muir lake did winterkill it used to be alot better, and its still good of course, why you so mad for??? if someone wants to keep there limit of 5 fish have a great meal, its only in there best interest to go to sauer lake, chiccakkoo, eastpit of cardiff lake, you can keep 5 fish there, is better accessable for familys and kids, Muir is very muddy, calm down man lol.

NSRfishing
08-30-2011, 08:08 PM
Didn't mean to summarize fly fishers, I love fly fishing. I'm talking about the snooty ones that look down on anyone that doesn't do anything but fly fish for trout. There's a lot of them at muir.

i call them satf's or southern alberta trout .... [insert derogatory word for homo here] :scared0018:

Bhflyfisher
08-30-2011, 08:49 PM
If only people could see shawns posts from the fly fish alberta forum. Very hypocritical bud.

anyways

If you want to classify us fly fishers that way. So be it. But this might offend you, I see a lot more spin fishermen breaking laws then fly fisherman, therefor i classify all spin fisherman as poachers.

( I say the last part with sarcasm, because i know you're all not that bad )

I have seen multiple people bait fishing from lawn chairs along the shores of muir over the years. Breaking laws and etc. I call them in everytime, but its sort of alright because muir lake is almost the perfect un-poachable lake from shore, because its so muddy, you cant get out to the fish. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

It did winterkill, but it wasnt very extent. Last year was a banner year for me, but this year wasn't bad by any means, lots of fish to go around.

Muir has always been overstocked to some point. But the kill had some positives because of this. I've been fishing muir for over 8 years, always a fun time!

But why would you want to eat fish out of there? They would just taste like absolute ****E.

And shawn Get a boat you hobo.

Thundercatcher
08-30-2011, 09:13 PM
I would agree with Shawn. If you have a boat for muir lake you are ok. But from shore there isn't much access. Chickakoo and Sauer have many spots to fish.

Doc
08-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Just for the record, Muir is believed to have partially winterkilled and when oxygen levels were tested they were dangerously low, even with the two aerators. There are plans in the works to stock Muir before the ice comes with hopes to bring catch rates back up for next season as this year had the lowest catch rates out of all years previous.

Also, Hasse is no longer contaminated and all warnings have been lifted.

Fly_Fish
08-31-2011, 09:43 AM
agree with nichead.
Shawns post are dramatic and uneccesary.
he is a lier he even admitted it on another post saying he was using a fly which he wasn't.. now some guy will probably waste his money on a bunch of leech patterns. to pull a 26" trout out of a place then say it straight up sucks a couple weeks later. pretty lame man. You should just do your thing and stop giving advice on here.
why are u deleting your account neway..too tarnished from all the bs im assuming
good luck

nichead
08-31-2011, 12:17 PM
I always like to tell poachers keeping fish that they should just spend their gas and power bait money on fish from a grocery store or restaurant if they are just doing it for food. They'd save time and money.

Best Guide Shawn. You should spend your money and time on just playing a fishing game on the internet. Then at least you'll have people that care about your points and status.

waterninja
08-31-2011, 04:30 PM
as far as access is concerned i have never fished a lake or dugout with better access. if you park near the dock area (south side) you could get to the dock or along the shore in a wheelchair.

carterM
09-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Wow only Shawn could make 1 post and have it start a 2 page flaming. For the record, as Doc said earlier, Muir did have at least a partial winterkill this year. From the little dock they have there you could see at least 3 fish, 2 of which were well over 20 inches, dead this spring.

Second, depending on what reason people have for fishing and how hard they're willing to work to get to fish, Sauer and Chickakoo could be far better options than Muir. I know where Shawn's fishing at Muir. It takes a bit of bushwacking to get to and once you're there, you're standing in mud that probably is deeper than you are tall. If you take a step without paying attention to where you're putting your feet, you're in the lake. Alot of people aren't willing to put up with that to catch fish. Also, the catch limits make for alot bigger fish at Muir but they are also alot fewer in number than at either of the other two lakes.

I never understood why some fly fishermen turned into elitists. I couldn't figure out what attracted that sort of person to the sport. Now, after being labelled as a "fly fishing hipster" simply because I happen to fly fish at a certain lake, I'm starting to understand why. You check my trunk, I have 3 spinning rods and 2 fly rods. Guess the fact that I use a fly rod at Muir makes me an elitist, snooty, fly fishing hipster...

FishlessFool
09-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Can I still be an elitist if I use a fly rod but rarely catch anything?

lifesaflyin
09-01-2011, 08:41 PM
sorry guys, can we stop this? after all red green says it best, were all in this together.

http://www.afunnystuff.com/forumpics/arguing.jpg

Kim473
09-02-2011, 06:07 AM
[QUOTE=lifesaflyin;1065753]sorry guys, can we stop this? after all red green says it best, were all in this together.

http://www.afunnystuff.com/forumpics/arguing.jpg[/QUOTE

All this BS. from a couple of people that have less than 25 posts. They think they know it all now and can jump all over a person. Calm down and just answer the original question. Everyone has an opinion and let them say it. I have gotten a few good tips from shawn.
Hermitage is a good place to picnick but there are better places to have fun fishing. I'm not much of a trout fisher but I would spend a little driving time and go to Carson. Guarented to catch a few gooders.

Eddy62
09-02-2011, 06:32 AM
[QUOTE=lifesaflyin;1065753]sorry guys, can we stop this? after all red green says it best, were all in this together.

http://www.afunnystuff.com/forumpics/arguing.jpg[/QUOTE

All this BS. from a couple of people that have less than 25 posts. They think they know it all now and can jump all over a person. Calm down and just answer the original question. Everyone has an opinion and let them say it. I have gotten a few good tips from shawn.
Hermitage is a good place to picnick but there are better places to have fun fishing. I'm not much of a trout fisher but I would spend a little driving time and go to Carson. Guarented to catch a few gooders.

i also have got some good advice from shawn and alot of other fisherman and fishing girls here on ao and i am getting tired of certain people ganging up on shawn... TREAT PEOPLE THE WAY YOU EXPECT TO BE TREATED . tease the guy.joke around. if certain people have a problem send it to his inbox pm him the rest off us dont need to hear it about him. would you like someone knocking you down.

Big_Russky
09-04-2011, 09:28 AM
To return to the topic of this thread, I fished at Hermitage three times in the last couple of weeks (morning and evening) and didn't have a bite. There were quite a few others fishing there and I didn't see anyone catch a fish while I was there. It doesn't seem to matter what bait or lure you use - it might just be fished out.