PDA

View Full Version : Graying on the Little Smoky

fonzi1
08-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Anyone have any updates on how the grayling fishing has been on the Little Smoky so for this summer? I usually go up in late September early October south west of Fox Creek down the Bigstone road. Any updates would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

mikeym
08-29-2011, 12:47 PM
was there 3 weekends ago. started at the second bridge and walked upstream a bit. fishing was pretty decent for the short time i fished. caught about 6 nice sized ones (around 10 - 14") but got chased off by a thunderstorm rolling in. went back to the bridge and fished there for about 1/2hr till the rain started coming down. didn't catch anything but had a few tiny ones go after the fly. headed back to the first bridge as it was a localized shower and it looked clear further east. fished around the first bridge for a couple of hours and never even seen a rise all that time. nothing, not even a flash. don't know if the storm put them down or what.

find it is best on the LS this time of year to do a it of walking away from the bridges anyways. the bigger ones are more spread thru out the river in summer and the bridge pools mostly hold tiny ones this time of year. look for riffles and fast moving water to find the big ones.

good luck
Mike

BGSH
08-29-2011, 07:14 PM
my friends just got back from there in one day and caught over 60 grayling

mikeo2
08-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Are there many grayling in it closer to valley view?

carterM
08-29-2011, 08:54 PM
We were at that spot yesterday fonzi. Went down bigstone road to the second bridge (I think it's called grizzly junction, never did find out). We walked downstream from the bridge for 1 or 2 km. Found some riffles that were just packed full of grayling. It was actually rare to make a cast and not have a hit on either a stimulator or the tiny nymph (didn't seem to matter which kind) tied onto the back of it. We got around 60 of them in about 7 hours of fishing, but the majority of them were in one spot.

We didn't get anything of size really, biggest was 13 or 14 inches but most were in the 9 or 10 inch range. Now this might be normal for this river... It's my first time fishing grayling (beautiful fish) and was told the AVERAGE in there would be 14 inches. Either way, it's a nice little river and the grayling are fantastic.

fonzi1
08-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Thx for the updates. Glad to hear that others are having some success.

I'm hoping to get back up there this fall (late Sept./early Oct.) so hopefully the fish will be stocked up in the larger pools by then. If not, a little hiking is in order which fine too. It's a long drive from Calgary, but definitely worth it based on past experiences I've had on the LS. Maybe a few big bulls as well.

Chris K
08-30-2011, 03:17 PM
We were at that spot yesterday fonzi. Went down bigstone road to the second bridge (I think it's called grizzly junction, never did find out). We walked downstream from the bridge for 1 or 2 km. Found some riffles that were just packed full of grayling. It was actually rare to make a cast and not have a hit on either a stimulator or the tiny nymph (didn't seem to matter which kind) tied onto the back of it. We got around 60 of them in about 7 hours of fishing, but the majority of them were in one spot.

We didn't get anything of size really, biggest was 13 or 14 inches but most were in the 9 or 10 inch range. Now this might be normal for this river... It's my first time fishing grayling (beautiful fish) and was told the AVERAGE in there would be 14 inches. Either way, it's a nice little river and the grayling are fantastic.

Whomever told you that gave you a bit of a fish story. An average big one would be 13 - 14 inches, but the size you mention catching is par for the river in the summer. There is the chance of getting a 16 or 17, but they are few and far between.

Chris K

Rockyman
08-30-2011, 09:02 PM
I've noticed that everyone does not measure their fish length the same way. Many people do it from the nose to fork while others do it from nose to the tip of the tail. If you do it the latter way a 10" grayling becomes a 12" grayling and so on...

carterM
08-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Whomever told you that gave you a bit of a fish story. An average big one would be 13 - 14 inches, but the size you mention catching is par for the river in the summer. There is the chance of getting a 16 or 17, but they are few and far between.

Chris K

Ya I was thinking the same thing. I don't even remember where I read that at but from what I saw there are LOTS of the 10 or 11 inch fish, quite a few 12 or 13 and the odd 14.

I was thinking maybe the bigger fish wouldn't be in the river yet. I don't know enough about grayling though to know.

Speckle55
08-30-2011, 11:25 PM

Chris K

Agree like most rivers in Alberta with Grayling