PDA

View Full Version : fly fishing department at wholesales sports here in calgary

Eddy62
08-29-2011, 12:01 PM
as i was telling people yesterday i took a fly fishing course at hansons boot camp and today was all excited about buying a few flies and small things to practice for my new skills as a fly fisherman. i walk in to the fly fishing department and theres an older fellow there so i introduce myself and tell him the course i took yesterday and could use some advice, this guy looks at me points to a area were there is a million flies and says take your pick. so i explained that i would be fishing the bow and in my class yesterday was told that i should practice and fish with about 6 or 8 different flies ,do you no which ones (san juan worm ) i need,this guy just points at all the flies and says nothing..

i wanted to ask about waders.boots.vest.net.tippets.and a water proof jacket that would be warm for this fall.

no help or a suggestion from him at all , maybe my AO friends can help me out im not looking to buy expensive products but i do need things especially a fly lol .walked out with a 4 dollar spool off 4 lb line for leader material while i am learning, what a sale he could off had oh well any suggestions on flys or a good fly fishing store. txs friends ( or maybe you good people have things for sale )

Phanman
08-29-2011, 12:16 PM
why dont you try bass pro shop? Im a new to fishing as well and those guys are very helpful.

RavYak
08-29-2011, 12:20 PM
Walked into wholesale sports not to long ago thinking about getting a new rod and reel. Talk about selection. I couldn't believe how much stuff they had in there. What really annoyed me was poor price marking though, none of the reels were marked and its like what you just want me to pick one that looks pretty and pay for it... This was at Edmonton south common. I probably spent 3 hours in there looking at everything. Walked into the fly section and I know how you felt because I just said to myself holy crap and walked out lol(I know nothing of fly fishing).

The guy you talked to likely knew little of fly fishing, most of the guys that do are pretty happy to talk about it and give ideas. I am sure a few people here will give you a few to start out with, I would recommend going back on a different day/time though and you might get someone more knowledgeable.

slingshotz
08-29-2011, 12:30 PM
as i was telling people yesterday i took a fly fishing course at hansons boot camp and today was all excited about buying a few flies and small things to practice for my new skills as a fly fisherman. i walk in to the fly fishing department and theres an older fellow there so i introduce myself and tell him the course i took yesterday and could use some advice, this guy looks at me points to a area were there is a million flies and says take your pick. so i explained that i would be fishing the bow and in my class yesterday was told that i should practice and fish with about 6 or 8 different flies ,do you no which ones (san juan worm ) i need,this guy just points at all the flies and says nothing..

i wanted to ask about waders.boots.vest.net.tippets.and a water proof jacket that would be warm for this fall.

no help or a suggestion from him at all , maybe my AO friends can help me out im not looking to buy expensive products but i do need things especially a fly lol .walked out with a 4 dollar spool off 4 lb line for leader material while i am learning, what a sale he could off had oh well any suggestions on flys or a good fly fishing store. txs friends ( or maybe you good people have things for sale )

That is a shame to hear about WSS, I've had good service from them before but I do usually know what I need beforehand..

I would highly suggest you go into Fish Tales or Southbow. The guys in both those shops are top notch and will help you out in everything. If you are in the north, the Fishin Hole is a good resource as there's a woman in there that is very knowledgeable.

To give you my suggestions for the Bow:

1. Get some 4x leaders and tippet for the Bow, your 4lb is way too light for the big fish and current in the bow. 6-8lb is better.
2. Flies will vary depending if you are looking for dry flies or nymphs. I'm assuming that the course taught you about both. Successful dries on the Bow will greatly vary depending on the hatch but the more common flies I always have are stimulators, elk hair caddis and Adams. Nymphs will be san Juan worms, stoneflies, prince, copper johns and hare's ear.
3. Waders, boots and jackets are really a personal preference and I've read good and bad things about all of them. It's basically an issue of buying the best you can afford. At it's most simplistic, they just need to keep you dry. I fished for almost a decade in a cheap rubber one piece wader/boot.
4. Get a decent size net for the bow with an opening of at least 20". There's over 30" fish in there so having too small a net will suck badly. Ideally get the clear plastic nets as the hooks don't stick in the fabric and they are a bit easier on the fish. They do cost more though.

There's a lot of awesome people here in the AO forum so feel free to ask anything. I also try and fish the Bow at least once a week or two so if you ever want to head out just PM me, I can show you a few spots. I'm not an expert on the Bow by any means so catching the fish is a whole different story.

Richard B.
08-29-2011, 12:40 PM
I prefer to purchase my fly fishing gear at either Bass Pro or The Fishin' Hole as they both have given me good service

Okotokian
08-29-2011, 12:48 PM
I've found the guys in the Calgary WSS fly shop to be pretty helpful. You must have gotten the one dud salesman. I've had guys lead me around finding different lines, had guys pick out flies for me that they think will work in different situations, etc.

RavYak
08-29-2011, 12:50 PM
I've found the guys in the Calgary WSS fly shop to be pretty helpful. You must have gotten the one dud salesman. I've had guys lead me around finding different lines, had guys pick out flies for me that they think will work in different situations, etc.

Thats what I was figuring and why I said to go back on a different day. He probably got someone filling in for a regular.

tallieho
08-29-2011, 02:12 PM
go to the fishing hole in calgary.some of the people in the fly tackle dept.belong to the hook & hackle fly club in calgary.good knowledge base there & your also helping to keep the little guy going..that's not to say that the fishtales,southbow aren't in that same class,i'll always premote the little guy over the warehouse store.bps has imo some of the worst staff going..

tacklerunner
08-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Click on th Icky Fly Works ad at the top of this page and buy the Bow River grab pack. You'll get a 10% discount and the flies will be under $1 each. You'll get them in the mail in about 3 days and get free delivery. That should get you started.

On the back of each box it will tell you what's hatching each month and will help you choose your flies. As you get more experienced Icky has hundreds of flies to choose from and a description of what each imitates.

jts1
08-29-2011, 02:31 PM
WWS is normally a great place. I am sure you just got unlucky with this guy. there are many other options for getting gear and advice from retailers. The Fishin Hole would be a good choice if you are looking to try another. BBS has some great guys in there fly section, but selection can be limited there. And of course this forum.

Rick.
08-29-2011, 03:20 PM
I've had good luck with Wholesale Sports Calgary but I have to say I sure do miss Russels. Rather than buy 4# tippet I would have bought 40# power pro, made a big slip knot, put it around his neck and given it a mighty pull. Not really but I would prefer salespeople who don't care would call in sick rather than show up. Give them (Wholesale) another chance and I'm sure you will get a better person to help. Fish Tales is great. I live too far from Bass Pro to visit regularly. Rick.

greylynx
08-29-2011, 04:45 PM
WSS South Edmonton. Talk to Rob. The other two or four guys in the fly fishing department are totally useless. They usually look hungover, hide when a customer comes along, and management does not do a single thing to rectify the problem.

Cabalas South Edmonton. Their flyfishing section sux even more than WSS south. This place has mostly Cabala's lower end rods and reels. For you flamers, note I said mostly. The rest of the Flyfishing section is stocked with Superfly garbage. There is bald guy that works there that seems to like to hide from customers. I have noticed he knows his stuff if you can catch him and talk to him. The other guys in the Cabalas fly fishing department are as useless as WSS south.

WSS North Edmonton, WSS Calgary, WSS Lethbridge. These dudes know their flyfishing.:sHa_shakeshout:

prosnowsk8er
08-29-2011, 04:45 PM
I also got the same type of service at *** while looking to get into fly fishing, to bad for them i checked out the fishing whole and bought all my stuff there, the staff were great, gave me all kinds of tips and the older guy with the white beard gave me a ton of good tips and differant flys to try, i will take all my business to them from now on.

Blueridge
08-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Try fishtales .
They will be glad to help you .

Willowtrail
08-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Go to The Fishin' Hole. They treat you like you want to be treated.

Unknown303
08-29-2011, 08:57 PM
Go to The Fishin' Hole. They treat you like you want to be treated.

Werd. The shop in NE Calgary rocks. The guys there are super helpful.

chubbdarter
08-29-2011, 09:11 PM
Bill and Louise do a great job in the flyfishing dept in the Cowtown store.

Dfreeman
08-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Southbow is by far the best shop I have been to. Very helpful and knowledgeable. May not be the best prices in town, but I will pay the extra for the tips and strategies the guys there are willing to give. Definitely check this place out.

Eddy62
08-30-2011, 01:27 PM
i would just like to thank all off you good fisherman on this form for all the help and suggestions about fly fishing.. i no i did not have a good experience at wholesale but maybe like some of you said he was having a bad day or didnt no how to answer me.But i had a great day at the fishing hole dealing with louise and bill awesome people and very knowledgeable. thought i would spend 20 bucks on flies, but once i got other things there goes 200 lol.

txs again fellows and fh7 great advice and txs to you.....

might go on a bow river guided trip that was recommended his name is barry white anyone heard of him i guess its 450 for 2 people or 225 for a single but i dont no any body to go do i need to pay 450 anyways chow for now.... ed

JohnnyD
08-30-2011, 02:00 PM
This is a prime example of exactly why we as the sportsman need to support quality local business'. If we opt for the mega stores we will lose the one on one compatibility with knowledgable sales staff. Fishin' Hole is an amazing store and the staff is always so friendly and willing to help and give advice where needed!

Okotokian
08-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Werd. The shop in NE Calgary rocks. The guys there are super helpful.

Not always. I went to the NE store once. I did a fair amount of research on travel rods and which Shimano reels were rated for salt water and why. Then went to Fishing Hole to look and possibly buy. I had to instruct the guy helping me. He acted like he knew but was clueless. Not really helpful or willing to go all out in helping me select line and lures either, and I'm the only customer in the store. I can't see myself going back to a smaller store with less selection, no lower prices, and less-than-stellar staff.

slingshotz
08-30-2011, 02:49 PM
might go on a bow river guided trip that was recommended his name is barry white anyone heard of him i guess its 450 for 2 people or 225 for a single but i dont no any body to go do i need to pay 450 anyways chow for now.... ed

I've heard of Barry and heard nothing but good things about the float trip. Personally I've wanted to go for some time but the cost is just a bit much for me when I can just walk and wade or finally get my ass off the chair and organize a float with my pontoon.

The other drift company I would highly recommend is http://www.bowriveradventures.com/. Brian is one of the guides which I fished with once and he has spent at least hundreds if not thousands of hours on the bow and knows it inside out. If you go onto Fly Fish Calgary, they advertise open spots quite often on their floats so you might be able to get in on one. His handle on there is Hawgstoppah.

Winch101
08-30-2011, 04:02 PM
I was in WSS south cal fly shop todayand saw only the best service being given to customers ....If you talk to Mike or Bob you will be given access to vast knowledge ...They might have the odd part timer , schoolkid working there ....but for the most part , it has been the best...

Daceminnow
08-30-2011, 04:59 PM
I also got the same type of service at *** while looking to get into fly fishing, to bad for them i checked out the fishing whole and bought all my stuff there, the staff were great, gave me all kinds of tips and the older guy with the white beard gave me a ton of good tips and differant flys to try, i will take all my business to them from now on.

this fella speaks of Barry.

yes. go if you get a chance. a true legend on the bow. i don't think anyone would argue that. i've always said when a seasoned angler speaks, shut your mouth and listen. this man has a ton of knowledge to share. check out the link below.

http://www.bowriver.com/

Dace

Tezma
08-30-2011, 10:17 PM
Was that like a couple of days ago?

I think I was looking for a certin fly when I herd thAT old guy telling the same thing this ladie, Was that you>?

chubbdarter
08-30-2011, 10:32 PM
i would just like to thank all off you good fisherman on this form for all the help and suggestions about fly fishing.. i no i did not have a good experience at wholesale but maybe like some of you said he was having a bad day or didnt no how to answer me.But i had a great day at the fishing hole dealing with louise and bill awesome people and very knowledgeable. thought i would spend 20 bucks on flies, but once i got other things there goes 200 lol.

txs again fellows and fh7 great advice and txs to you.....

You'll never get a Bad day from Louise or Bill.....top notch people with the skills and knowledge to help every degree of fly person

Bhflyfisher
08-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Pm me your mailing info. I have a ton of flies that i really dont need. I can send you about 2 dozen for the bow that i have been using for the past few years.

densa44
08-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Fish's diet is about 90% nymphs. The method of fishing them successfully is subtle but very effective. Some of these guys tie awesome flies.

Ask to see some of their photos of their best bow flies and go from there.

Good to have another fisherman. I'd show you my efforts but they embarrass me, I only put them on in the presence of fish. The elk hair caddis is the best!

chubbdarter
08-31-2011, 10:30 PM
The front door gaurd is always pleasant and says Hello and Good Bye

Flyfisher87
09-01-2011, 06:14 AM
I as well have some flies to sell. I still have some tying equipment and a fanny pack as well if you are interested in taking the next step and start tying your own flies.

Flyfisher87
09-01-2011, 06:17 AM
The front door gaurd is always pleasant and says Hello and Good Bye

Both guards are extremely friendly. I enjoy when they acknowledge me when I walk in and thank me for my business when I leave. The last few times I have been to WSS, the overall experience was excellent.

slivers86
10-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Both guards are extremely friendly. I enjoy when they acknowledge me when I walk in and thank me for my business when I leave. The last few times I have been to WSS, the overall experience was excellent.

fly, the one dark skinned fella that works there I have known for years, from working as a parking commissionaire in the Calgary Health Region, before they were 'pushed out'. Great guy, always friendly! I'd agree with your statement, althought I found one of the guys in the fly department not very friendly, or helpful at all. I ended up leaving with nothing that day, and the man was an older fella, I wont point fingers. I always buy my spinning gear there though!

ericlin0122
10-04-2011, 04:34 PM
fly, the one dark skinned fella that works there I have known for years, from working as a parking commissionaire in the Calgary Health Region, before they were 'pushed out'. Great guy, always friendly! I'd agree with your statement, althought I found one of the guys in the fly department not very friendly, or helpful at all. I ended up leaving with nothing that day, and the man was an older fella, I wont point fingers. I always buy my spinning gear there though!

probably Bob.

chubbdarter
10-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Heres a fun game to play in there....
First stop at the bait fridge
grab a bag of worms and maggots
head to fly section and ask one of the old guys what fly he recomeends for the bait you picked.
If he shows you a fly ..ask him if you have anything bigger, Tell him the big brass swivel wont go thru the eyelet on the small fly.

Now you can leave knowing that sales rep will be grumpy for the rest of the week

HighWildnFree
10-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Heres a fun game to play in there....
First stop at the bait fridge
grab a bag of worms and maggots
head to fly section and ask one of the old guys what fly he recomeends for the bait you picked.
If he shows you a fly ..ask him if you have anything bigger, Tell him the big brass swivel wont go thru the eyelet on the small fly.

Now you can leave knowing that sales rep will be grumpy for the rest of the week

I dont care who ya are, thats funnay right there.

HighWildnFree
10-04-2011, 04:47 PM
The wss fly department is a waste of space in my opinion. Mike Maily is a $15/hr putz with a HUGE ego and attitude. If youre lookin for fly gear, Id check out Fish Tales Fly Shop in Aveneida. Dave and Nancy are awesome folks. Bow River Troutfitters used to be a helluva shop too, although I havnt been there in many years now. Country Pleasures and Westwinds get the same as Mike @ Wss from me. Big egos, **** poor attitudes and ignorant stuck up people to deal with. Just my 2 cents.

chubbdarter
10-04-2011, 04:52 PM
The wss fly department is a waste of space in my opinion. Mike Maily is a $15/hr putz with a HUGE ego and attitude. If youre lookin for fly gear, Id check out Fish Tales Fly Shop in Aveneida. Dave and Nancy are awesome folks. Bow River Troutfitters used to be a helluva shop too, although I havnt been there in many years now. Country Pleasures and Westwinds get the same as Mike @ Wss from me. Big egos, **** poor attitudes and ignorant stuck up people to deal with. Just my 2 cents.

Mike is at South Bow now

HighWildnFree
10-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Ive been outta the loop for a cpl years now. Is South Bow a new shop?

slivers86
10-04-2011, 11:59 PM
southbow is located between deerfoot and mcleod trail (HWY 2 & HWY 2A) on Dunbow road. Turn onto dunbow road, which is about 5 km south of the city, on either raod, well marked. Turn into Heritage Pointe at the Lake, you'll see a small shopping center. The shop is right next to the Vet clinic, hard to miss. Flys looked good in there today, the fella working (can't remember his name) was great, and informative, telling me whats working on the bow, and a few good spots to try and get my first brown :) When I told him I was new to the fly, he said thats no problem, and the information began flowing!

HighWildnFree
10-05-2011, 01:32 PM
What a helluva location for a shop!

tara_13
10-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Bill and Louise do a great job in the flyfishing dept in the Cowtown store.
Hello there, I sent you a PM of these people... It wouldnt send, your m/box is full :)

chubbdarter
10-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Hello there, I sent you a PM of these people... It wouldnt send, your m/box is full :)

Top secret?

Is Bill a terorist?