PDA

View Full Version : First Weekend Fly Fishing

fallen1817
08-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Hey All!

So last year I tried my hand at fly fishing with my girlfriend's father. I liked it alot, and got my own rod and reel for my birthday in April. I finally got out to use it this past weekend! It was a major learning experience, as I had only fly fished for about an hour before that (At 3 mile bend in Red Deer, to learn casting). even this weekend I had very poor form to start with, but watching all the fishing shows and youtube videos on how to cast really helped out, as within a few hours I was getting some Major distance!

My weekend started on Friday with a trip to Sportsman's Den in Red Deer (Thank you Bob!!) to get a dozen flies for the FIL and I to use. Bob was very helpful in selecting flies, as I know very little about different patterns. After getting flies, I made the drive to Rimbey to meet with the inlaws. We all packed up, and just as we were hitching up the 5th wheel, POP! FIL moved the hitch ahead one pin (as per his friend's advice to save gas?!?!) and the angle was too sharp, and he popped out his back window. So after cleaning up all the glass, we called Apple Auto Glass in Rocky, and drove out there (on our way to Nordegg). Got the back window replaced, and then headed farther west to Harlech Campground, right on Shunda Creek. It was a beautiful campground, and had one or two campers out there when we arrived. We set up camp, and unfortunately it was too dark to get out to the stream. The following morning, the FIL and I woke up early and headed to the stream. About an hour later, I landed my first fish ever on the fly rod! What a riot! It's not huge, but it was my first brown, and my first on the fly rod, so it's a trophy to me!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/wilie1817/Fishing1.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/wilie1817/Fishing2.jpg

We fished for the day, but only managed the one fish. After breakfast at 1 pm we headed down stream to a deep pool with a fallen tree in the middle, just after some rapids. We were sure there would be a bunch of fish in there, but we just couldnt haul any out. The next day (sunday) we did the same thing, and again, I pulled out a tiny brown, about 15 feet from where I pulled out the fish the day before! This one was smaller, about 6 inches or so, compared to the approx. 8 inch fish the day before.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/wilie1817/IMG00421-20110828-0934.jpg

The FIL and I had a riot, and somehow the rookie managed to catch the only two fish all weekend.

Sidenote: I am not positive these are browns. I am pretty sure, but we didnt keep any anyways. I imagine they would have been delicious though!

I look forward to continuing to fly fish. It takes alot of patience, and the best strategy for me was to put on the water shoes and go knee deep into the water, to get away from the trees... The trees were more hungry for flies than the fish were, apparently. Lost about 5 flies to those bloody trees.

Anyways, that was my weekend. thanks for reading!

Also, is there a website for streams to fish near edmonton? within a 1/2 hr would be easiest. Does anyone fish NSR? I had alot of fun catching tiny trout on the fly. I can only imagine what it's like to catch some bigger fish!

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/wilie1817/IMG00418-20110827-1044.jpg

BobLoblaw
08-30-2011, 10:27 AM
I sure hope you know what you're getting yourself into, friend!:snapoutofit:
This fly fishing gig is addictive & will cost you a freakin' fortune in the long run.
And, it's well worth it!:)
There's nothing like it; when I'm not fly fishing, I'm thinking about fly fishing...

Thanks for sharing your experience with us; hope you have lots more luck in the future.
BTW, your second fish is a brook trout. Look for white leading edge on the fins, with a black line behind the white; pink spots with blue halos; black vermiculations(worm-like markings) on the dorsal fin.
Get out your regs, or Google to learn how to identify the fish you'll be catching.
Even if you never plan to keep fish, it's good to know what you're catching. You might save a friend from mistaking a juvenile bull trout for a brookie & getting in a heap of trouble.

Good luck out there; keep posting reports & pics!

Rumtan
08-30-2011, 10:38 AM
Congrats on joining the fly fishing clan, you will love it. It gets better every time out.

fallen1817
08-30-2011, 01:08 PM
I sure hope you know what you're getting yourself into, friend!:snapoutofit:
This fly fishing gig is addictive & will cost you a freakin' fortune in the long run.
And, it's well worth it!:)
There's nothing like it; when I'm not fly fishing, I'm thinking about fly fishing...

Thanks for sharing your experience with us; hope you have lots more luck in the future.
BTW, your second fish is a brook trout. Look for white leading edge on the fins, with a black line behind the white; pink spots with blue halos; black vermiculations(worm-like markings) on the dorsal fin.
Get out your regs, or Google to learn how to identify the fish you'll be catching.
Even if you never plan to keep fish, it's good to know what you're catching. You might save a friend from mistaking a juvenile bull trout for a brookie & getting in a heap of trouble.

Good luck out there; keep posting reports & pics!

Thanks for the heads up on the fish identification, sir! After the first night we sat down with the regs and compared the pictures, and decided that the first was a brown. Didn't take much notice to the second, and only assumed that it was a brown as well.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the money! hahaha. My girlfriend is already rolling her eyes at my ever growing christmas list :sHa_shakeshout: