PDA

View Full Version : how to fish for perch at crawling

spinerfisher
01-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Hello All

My wife and i might head out for some ice fishing at crawling this weekend. She loves this lake for the fact that she seems to always outfish me when we go in the summer. We have been to this lake many, many times but will be our second ice fishing trip. I never fished for perch and maybe someone can give me a few tips on how to ice fish for them. i think wire worms might work but not sure? any tips would be appreciated. thanks:)

Versatile
01-14-2008, 12:42 PM
1/8th jighead tipped with a minnow or a Rocker jighead tipped with maggots through their head so they wiggle and squirm.

In the winter I like to fish a 1/8 jighead with a minnow fished 6" or 1 foot off the bottom then have a rocker style with a grub, or maggots rest on or right off the bottom. I then slam the minnow against the bottom (seems to bring the fish in) or just lift the maggots off the bottom then let them rest.

Hatfisher
01-14-2008, 01:07 PM
I have never fished Crawling, but I find I have had the best success for perch with a small jig head and a mealworm. I haven't heard of many people using them but I have outfished most people on the lake for Perch here in southen Alberta 5-1 with em. give them a try. you might not be dissapointed.

spinerfisher
01-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Thanks alot for the tips. I have never tried fishing for them nor have i cuaght one. i think iam the only fisherman that hasnt caught one his whole life:huh:

Cowtown guy
01-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Does Crawling have a catchable population of Perch? I have fished the lake alot in the summer and I have never seen a perch. Normally I see the odd one when pulling blades and rigging along weed lines or they may follow a crank out of a weed bed.

ULTRAlite
01-14-2008, 09:56 PM
The regs say there are, but that doesn't mean much...

calgarygringo
01-14-2008, 10:00 PM
We fish there winter and summer and so far have not heard of any. We have been using a camera lately as well and no sitings. This would not be my first choice. Maybe try going north to Burntstick or Cow lake or south down bt Taber.

Versatile
01-14-2008, 11:21 PM
If you decide to come out to Taber give me a ring I will take you out. I am always looking for somone to fish for perch with me.

Waxy
01-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Does Crawling have a catchable population of Perch? I have fished the lake alot in the summer and I have never seen a perch. Normally I see the odd one when pulling blades and rigging along weed lines or they may follow a crank out of a weed bed.

That was my thought too.

I've never seen a perch caught at Crawling.

Waxy

spinerfisher
01-15-2008, 05:00 PM
thanks for the tips. I might just try and hope to maybe get my first burbot in 10 years of fishing instead. Might try Burnstick in the future for some perch. thanks again