PDA

View Full Version : Kootnay lake sept 11-15. tips needed

Whiskey
08-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Hi, For my honeymoon my wife and I are going to Kootnay lake for a few days and we would both like to get some good fishing in. We really dont care about catching huge fish, we just want to be sure to catch lots of fish.

What would be our best bet? I assume probaly going after kokanee, possibly some rainbows? I have never fished in a lake like this before and have no idea where to start. Should I fish close to shores or inlets or troll around? What kind of lures should I be using? I usually only use snelled hooks or small spoons or panther martins while fishing for trout here.

Any and all help will be appreciated. I would just like to see the wife having lots of fun catching lots of fish! Thanks everyone

bikerman
08-30-2011, 07:57 PM
I have used long streamers(10-12 inches, available there locally) trolled at least 100m behind the boat, no weight(called flatlining) at 3-6kph. This imitates baitfish at the surface. Your fly should be skipping through the chop. Good for large rainbows, the choppier the better. Ask the locals how far offshore. I usually fish 100 to 400m offshore, but in the springtime.

chris wood
08-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Bikerman nailed it... Big streamers trolled far behind the boat.. we always used planer boards but not really needed.. Buy your tackle at the lake because the local shops or guides know the colors and patterns.. Go for the rainbows it's worth it.. It wont be cheap but last time I was there I landed a 20lb 4oz rainbow it's like salmon fishing inland... good luck

Bushmaster
08-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Back in the day, we trolled big plugs, similar to Rapalas for the big rainbows in there. But it was also in the winter....

Good luck.

chubbdarter
08-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Thats a tad early for consistant hair action.Every year is different but hair season usually gets good around Thanks Giving
Your picking a lake with one of the toughest learning curves anywhere to be consistant
The majority of big kokes will be long gone.
But the lake is gorgeous and catching trout to 8lbs is very doable in numbers that time of year.

Gang trolls with a dewworm works well, small spoons(kamlooper/crocidiles, spinners(red and orange Bolos) and flatfish(silver and gold) trolled with a 2oz wgt will get you fish.
Kokes on gang trolls or dodger and orange/red Dick Nite lure with maggies....24 inch leaders.
In the late evening pulls sticks(B and W) and lymans( perch pattern) in the 10-20 foot range for some bigger RBT and Bulls. I your down rigger ready...oki flasher and green yellow hoochie will put bullies in your fry pan.

Dont forget Duck and Mirror for bass
and enjoy Ainsworth Hotsrings

Whiskey
08-31-2011, 07:25 AM
wow ok thanks guys. I have never really been a troller before, so I guess its time to start. Everytime I try to troll the wife gets bored and makes me stop so we can cast. I will go to a local tackle shop to get some lures. Any suggestions on a good shop? I will be staying right outside of Boswell, which is on the east side of the lake about a third of the way up.

Bushmaster
08-31-2011, 08:55 AM
The actual hooks we used were Bill Normans...not sure if they even make them anymore. We bought silver ones and spray painted them ourselves. Biggest rainbow was 26 lbs.

I just checked their website...doesn't look like they make the hooks we used anymore.

Crusty
08-31-2011, 10:17 AM
For information stop at Mawson's Sport Shop in Creston, Righthand side just past hotel. Ask for Fred, Ray or Brian.

Rick.
08-31-2011, 10:49 AM
The actual hooks we used were Bill Normans...not sure if they even make them anymore. We bought silver ones and spray painted them ourselves. Biggest rainbow was 26 lbs.

I just checked their website...doesn't look like they make the hooks we used anymore.
26lbs.! I wanna go fishing with you. Rick.

Whiskey
08-31-2011, 10:55 AM
wow, those are some big rainbows. I dont think I have ever even caught one over 5lbs

chubbdarter
08-31-2011, 03:38 PM

Very much available yet.....not my choice for Sept. though

Speckle55
08-31-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi Whiskey.. hey i was there in April 2011 for a few days and all the fish i caught were over 5 # i got 4 bull trout a 5 ,6 ,7 and a 8#1 :sHa_shakeshout:and got 3 bows two in the 5 to 6 lb range and one 8#4 my buddy got a 8#10oz on a Bucktail up top but mine were on a Downrigger at 87ft and i was using a Cut Plug.. it imatates a Cut Herring.and is like a rap but bigger .. if you look on my Profile at my picture's you will see a 8#7oz Bow from 2009 Dec on a Cut Plug and its in the picture the plug..we got lots of shakers which were under 2#

The Bucktail is the streamer that they use up top and the guy is right after Thanksgiving is the best to the end of Dec .. but is ok till end april the spawn around Mothers Day you can see them in the Liard river
Food for Thought
David

Bushmaster
08-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Chub, I meant the model we used...I didn't see it on there website.

And here it is....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v399/akabushmaster/trout.jpg

chubbdarter
08-31-2011, 03:58 PM
deep diver...with a alluninum heart shaped diving bill....luxor tunnig prong?????????????????

Bushmaster
08-31-2011, 04:38 PM
I remember the heart shaped diving bill...with 2 holes in it...we used to expand the holes to make a long slit.

Whiskey
09-01-2011, 11:53 AM
sounds good guys. i think I will be trying out some streamers, because I dont have any eq'p for downrigging (or any experience with it). very nice fish bushmaster!!

Whiskey
09-01-2011, 11:56 AM
wow, nice fish speckle55. I couldnt quite see the lure, but I will ask about it at the fishing shop.

fishinggeek
09-01-2011, 01:01 PM
http://news.inthekoots.com/2011/07/07/record-setting-trout-return/

the kootenay river, the start of kootenay lake for monster gerrards. we've managed 2 14#ers and a 12# in 4 trips now. with dozens of 1-5lbers each trip. just casting spoons off shore. Lots of fun. and those 10+lbers are insane to fight.:sHa_shakeshout:

Whiskey
09-01-2011, 01:17 PM
http://news.inthekoots.com/2011/07/07/record-setting-trout-return/

the kootenay river, the start of kootenay lake for monster gerrards. we've managed 2 14#ers and a 12# in 4 trips now. with dozens of 1-5lbers each trip. just casting spoons off shore. Lots of fun. and those 10+lbers are insane to fight.:sHa_shakeshout:

there we go, that is the kind of news I like to hear. Laura kinda gets bored trolling around and would much rather cast. thanks

chubbdarter
09-01-2011, 09:05 PM
I remember the heart shaped diving bill...with 2 holes in it...we used to expand the holes to make a long slit.

second from the right

http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/azzrocket2/001-51.jpg

Bushmaster
09-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Second from the left.....

chubbdarter
09-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Second from the left.....

crap yaa sorry my other right...duh

xtreme hunter10
09-02-2011, 06:24 AM
The rig we had the best luck with on kootney lake is a willow leaf and a wedding band. but as the lake gets cooler the fish will move closer to the surface so u wont need down riggers to get the big ones. maggots worked well. Biigest we caught was about 8lbs, but that was in july. slow troll was working the best.

Bushmaster
09-02-2011, 06:53 AM
For what it's worth, we were there in January......

Rick.
09-02-2011, 09:25 AM
For what it's worth, we were there in January......
That makes sense. Was in a hotel in Nelson and they had a mount of the largest rainbow caught. If I remember right it was 44lbs. and caught in early February. That's a great mount you have. Really enjoyed seeing it. Must have been a heck of a fight. Rick.

EZM
09-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I fish that lake regularly.

If you are in Boswell, head straight across the lake to the west shore (just south of the Balfour inlet on the main lake). Troll down that shore, it has been a pretty good spot. It is pretty good from the light house beacon and south along that shore for 3-4 miles up until you hit the creek (just past a bay). The shore goes to 400 feet almost straight down in that area (less than 100 yards from shore).

I've had good luck pulling an Apex (black and silver, hot pink or rainbow pattern) either on the surface or with a 1 or 2 oz banana weight (mooching sinker). You will hit both kokanees and rainbows. The kokanees will love the hot pink Apex.

I've also had good luck with dipsys or off the down rigger dragging a hoochie and flasher combo. The bulls love the green "oil slick" flasher with a green and white hoochie. This summer the bulls were crazy aggressive.

The rainbows seem to prefer a silver flasher with a black/white/silver "tigershrimp" hoochie.

I've had less luck dragging a Lyman lure but locals swear by it.

Bulls seem to like deeper water and slower speeds (2.2 to 2.6mph). Rainbows like it presented a little faster 2.8 to 3.4mph it seems at shallower depths.

Depth will be where the fish are (your fish finder will tell you). - summer they are sometimes down 150 feet and a rigger is a must.

PM me if you need any more info. Give it a try and have a great time.

Pixel Shooter
09-03-2011, 08:44 AM
a few good posts here, fish the lake every year, as someone posted, tough lake to learn and for the big fish, you have to put your time in. I have a tackle box dedicated to this lake with a few favourites that have never let me know.

I have lots of rainbows over 17 pounds, have yet to break the 22 pound mark. Luv using big flies, planer board will always see more action. Have to have a reel that holds a ton of line, get the line away from the boat, the more the better. I swear on the Lyman plugs, cant beat blue and white, blue sparkle on sunny days, plugs need a white belly. Dolly's luv the lime yellow bellies, purple and lime work wonderful. Key for this lake is trolling speed, as someone said the dollys like the slower speeds, for the lyman plug you average 3.5mph, you can get more speed by removing the treble on the rear and use a single hook ;) Flies at 4mph or faster. That lake has its magic hours for the bite, have done better mid day then early morning. rougher the lake is, the better the fishing. late sept fishing pics up. Usually fish this lake May long weekend for 10 days. thrill using light line fighties these brutes, good luck!

Sundancefisher
09-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Hi, For my honeymoon

Do lots of cuddling with the missus. Take along some romantic mixed tapes. Always ask her what she wants to do. Pick flowers for her. Take along some chocolates. Stay in the good books so you get to go fishing on all anniversary trips. :sHa_shakeshout:

Nakoda boater
09-13-2011, 12:39 PM
For those of you who are trolling what are using for a boat and rods?

tomcat519
04-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Any suggestions on the best time of year to fish Kookanees? What hooks and depths etc?

TROLLER
04-12-2015, 11:39 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but they not put a zero limit on Kokanee at that lake this year.

Buckwheat
04-12-2015, 11:46 AM
There is a 5 Kokanee limit during the first week of April to July in the Upper West Arm. Zero limit on the main lake this year.

tomcat519
04-12-2015, 09:08 PM
ouch I hadn't gotten as far as reading the BC rules yet - I haven't even got the AB license either. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as every year there seems to be just a little less than the previous ones. Man I miss the good old days

graybeard
04-14-2015, 05:56 PM
If you are staying at Schroeder Creek Resort either in their house rental or campground, then the manager, Randy Phipps is a super resource.

Buck tail flies, plugs and hockey sticks will be suggested. The colors will vary hour to hour and day to day as will the depth and trolling speed. The trout in the lake are called Gerrard Trout and the record is 35 lbs I think. They are like prairie rainbows on steroids...lol...and man do they fight.

If you do not have a boat then there is shore fishing nearby (Schroeder Creek) and all you use is, regular trout lures that you use anywhere.

https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=Bx-KVKDGJoTXpAPbh4DQCA&gws_rd=ssl#q=schroeder+creek+resort

Congrats BTW.....

FireTiger
04-15-2015, 10:58 AM
Like graybeard says - Buck tail flies, plugs and hockey sticks are the 'go to' lures for the big Gerrard's (record 35lb, 12oz).

Yup - they sure fight and it's pretty cool to see a 20 lb + Rainbow trout jumping out behind the boat before it peels off another 100 yards of line when it decides to dive straight down again.

But don't forget about the massive Bull's that can reach 30 lb +.

We use the flasher/hoochie combo off the downrigger and have nailed many in the 20 - 25 lb range.

They are very strong and put up a good fight in their own way (staying deep and taking lots of line).

Sure is an awesome lake !