PDA

View Full Version : Good Lakes for small boat around Edmonton

vamperio
09-01-2011, 08:14 AM
I've got a 12ft aluminum with an older electric motor and was wondering what are some decent lakes within 1.5 hrs of Edmonton for that size of boat. I have to stay close due to work and am tired of the usual trout ponds. Any advice is appreciated.

HunterDave
09-01-2011, 12:54 PM
An AO member on here named DOC created this website for pothole lakes for trout in the Edmonton area.

http://flyfish-edmonton.webs.com/edmontonlakes.htm

The last that I heard Hasse lake winter killed and SRD stopped stocking it.

Check your regs for the lakes as Muir has special regs and there may be a couple that don't allow motors (ie Peanut & Chickakoo).

Good luck fellow Morinviller! :)

CantThinkOfAName
09-01-2011, 02:53 PM
I enjoy Devils and Mayatan. You won't catch big fish, but its usually quiet.
I only have an electric motor too, so I usually stick to little lakes... but I have been in Wabamun and Lake Isle... it just takes more time to get around.

vamperio
09-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the info. I've been out to Devils before, so maybe I'll try Mink or Mayatan this time. If a guy was to go to Wabamun or maybe Lac Ste Anne with a small boat what is the best place to launch and troll the shores?

HunterDave
09-02-2011, 11:36 AM
There are several boat launches on Lac Ste Anne. The biggest and most popular one is right in Alberta Beach. There's also one in West Cove (that end of the lake is usually much calmer IMO). There's a couple more but I'm not sure exactly where they are........one in Ross Haven I think.

Lac Lanonne has great walleye and pike fishing as well. The public boat launch is on the south shore beside Killdeer Beach. GL. :)

0liver
09-02-2011, 10:27 PM
muir is great for a small 12 ft. can't go over 12k so an old electric will be fine. theres more then a couple 20'' + trout in there.

Nickote316
09-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the info. I've been out to Devils before, so maybe I'll try Mink or Mayatan this time. If a guy was to go to Wabamun or maybe Lac Ste Anne with a small boat what is the best place to launch and troll the shores?

I think you have to pay to get into Mink lake, but don' quote me on that one.

horsetrader
09-03-2011, 11:30 AM
I think you have to pay to get into Mink lake, but don' quote me on that one.

yep 10 bucks for parking

Nickote316
09-03-2011, 12:37 PM
yep 10 bucks for parking

Better than Jackfish. 20 bucks to get in! Not to mention that the lady running the booth was extremely rude to us when we asked why it was so much.

stuartmcgrandle
09-04-2011, 11:35 AM
it is $20 cuz it's private land that keeps the garbage addicted retard hillbillys out and lot/launch maintained 10x better than any Provincial site, anyways for my family i pay the $20 for the quality experience but DO NOT GO TO MINK LAKE IT IS A SHI*HOLE and not worth $.10

stuartmcgrandle
09-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Dolberg is great

roots
09-04-2011, 05:18 PM
I enjoy Devils and Mayatan. You won't catch big fish, but its usually quiet.
I only have an electric motor too, so I usually stick to little lakes... but I have been in Wabamun and Lake Isle... it just takes more time to get around.

I was at Devil's today and what a zoo. When I left at 2:30 the lake had a jet ski and 5 large ski boats. I have fished this lake for 35 years and seldom saw 1 water skier let alone 5. The lake is just too small for them and small fishing boats. I know it is the long weekend but these big boats are not friendly on such small lakes. :angry3:

horsetrader
09-04-2011, 09:30 PM
it is $20 cuz it's private land that keeps the garbage addicted retard hillbillys out and lot/launch maintained 10x better than any Provincial site, anyways for my family i pay the $20 for the quality experience but DO NOT GO TO MINK LAKE IT IS A SHI*HOLE and not worth $.10

Well if you really want to know jackfish is run by parkland county their the one that raise the fees so high and the launch is a little crappy it had a big drop to the one side for a couple years they say they can't afford to fix it unless they raise the fees more. As far as mink parkland tried to force him to raise his rates and he told them to stick it. Would not waste my time at jackfish nothing but a bunch of big boat small mind creatons.

BGSH
09-04-2011, 09:41 PM
high catch rates at jackfish lake though, lots of smal walleye and pike but i wont pay for a lake to enjoy my time

Nickote316
09-04-2011, 09:52 PM
high catch rates at jackfish lake though, lots of smal walleye and pike but i wont pay for a lake to enjoy my time

Plus the lady there pretty much told us to pizz off when we hesitated on whether or not to we wanted to pay. When a couple guys have their wallets out ready to pay, don't turn around and tell goodbye to us.

Not sure on the catch rates at Mink but if you go into the store there is a pic of a 20 pound pike that was caught there earlier this year.

vamperio
09-06-2011, 08:49 AM
Well, we ended up at Mayatan and it was pretty slow, one pike in a few hours. So we loaded up and went to Devils for the rest of the day, it wasnt too busy while we were there only a handful of small boats. It turned out not bad, 14 pike of various size. Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.

Willowtrail
09-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Next time you hit mayatan take small jigs and maggots and target perch. Its not uncommon to get 300 perch. Lots are tiny but still loads of fun