PDA

View Full Version : Best ECONOMY Power Ice Auger?

HunterDave
09-01-2011, 11:01 PM
I decided to buy my first ever power ice auger this year and I wanted to see what other AO members think about the ones on the market. I have no intention of punching 20 -30 holes per day 7 days per week so I don't need a pro model. I'm thinking more along the lines of up to 10 holes per week. ECONOMY is an important factor as I don't want to pay $1k for a husky or stihl but I do want something that will start in the cold and last me for a few years.
All advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

SonnyJ
09-01-2011, 11:14 PM
I bought an Eskimo Mako last year at Walmart for $359 and I'm happy with it,cuts great.:)

But aren't you rushing things abit?

lol..let's do hunting season first..:sHa_shakeshout:

pikergolf
09-01-2011, 11:23 PM

lol..let's do hunting season first..:sHa_shakeshout:[/QUOTE]

LOL, byline in the sears Christmas catalog, snowblower page. He who hesitates....Shovels.

bloopbloob
09-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Grabbed an eskimo 8" last year on sale. hand augered before that. Best $300 (maybe even $250, think i got a refund) you can spend! Works great, no complaints!

HunterDave
09-01-2011, 11:50 PM

lol..let's do hunting season first..:sHa_shakeshout:

Lol.........When you get old and tired (lazy) like me the thought of drilling holes by hand will still haunt you well into September too! :lol:

No worries, I'll be in the treestand on Tuesday if the wind is blowing in the right direction. :happy0034:

hockey1099
09-01-2011, 11:52 PM
I have had the Eskimo Mako for 3 years now. Bought at costco. I drill 30-100 holes in a weekend easy if i fish both days and i ice fish from november to april. Still starts first pull every time. only changed the blades once.

Best 300 bucks ever sprent.

Kim473
09-02-2011, 05:41 AM
I have had the Eskimo Mako for 3 years now. Bought at costco. I drill 30-100 holes in a weekend easy if i fish both days and i ice fish from november to april. Still starts first pull every time. only changed the blades once.

Best 300 bucks ever sprent.

X2

My costco mako is great $300 three years and no problems. Starts second pull every time with the primer pushed and choke on. Only use about 3/4 gallon a season and punch say 1000 holes or so in a season. No new blades or nothing and still runs great. Wish I had a 10" tho. If you are not rough with them and treat them right they will last your lifetime.

Whiskey
09-02-2011, 07:11 AM
I have a jiffy SD60i that I got from Canadian tire on sale. It works great, I had it for about 2 years now and I never had a problem with it. Always starts right away, even on those cold -40 days where you just sit in your truck with line out your window.

JohnnyD
09-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Watch Costco in the next few months. They bring in the Eskimo 8" Mako 43cc. auger. Usual price from previous years $299.99. Most outdoor stores will same the same product for $50-100 more. Its a very solid auger, starts easy even on the coldest of days!

HunterDave
09-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Watch Costco in the next few months. They bring in the Eskimo 8" Mako 43cc. auger. Usual price from previous years $299.99. Most outdoor stores will same the same product for $50-100 more. Its a very solid auger, starts easy even on the coldest of days!

If you could pick up a Mako (43cc) at Costco for $300 or a Shark (51 cc) at the Fishing Hole is $350, which route would you go?

Hellraiser
09-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Jiffy

FishingFrenzy
09-02-2011, 06:20 PM
If you could pick up a Mako (43cc) at Costco for $300 or a Shark (51 cc) at the Fishing Hole is $350, which route would you go?

Im planning on going with the Shark because of increased cutting speed...however Costco's amazing return policy sounds nice.....

I'll see what happens.

nicemustang
09-02-2011, 07:55 PM
They make augers that are $1000? I don't recall seeing one that much. My vote is for eskimo as well or strikemaster.

FishingFrenzy
09-02-2011, 08:27 PM
They make augers that are $1000? I don't recall seeing one that much. My vote is for eskimo as well or strikemaster.

Not a Husky or Stihl but there is this one specialty company, can't for the life of me remember the name

Kim473
09-03-2011, 07:29 AM

I would go with the mako as mine I think has more than enough power to turn a 10" bit and what time are you going to save? 10 sconds per hole at most. 6 holes = one minute. Takes longer deciding where to punch the first hole. I just wish I had a 10" bit. Don't know if the shark is a 10"
Any one got a 10" bit they want to sell that will fit my mako?

mayuan
09-03-2011, 09:10 AM
The expensive auger is the Husqvarna ice auger at close to $1000.

My vote goes to the Strikemaster.

Since the last post I have only had one issue and with the unit out of warranty Strikemaster sent me all new parts for free again (little rubber feet kept falling off and they replaced the frame of the unit with the updated version without the rubber feet). Till the next time someone asks what auger to buy! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just copy and paste my last responce to this question in 2010 & jan 2011.

I guess I will put in my two cents....

StrikeMaster 10" Lazer Mag 2.5hp Power Auger is running a German engine on a Swedish auger blade. When I was looking for an auger this year this is the one I bought. From what I was reading the Jiffy is using a new chinese motor not the old reliable techumsa engine (techumsa went out of buisness). And the other augers just didn't feel right. The only issue I had with the auger before I bought it was the plastic on it. Then I found out what it was, Tufflite Dupont Zytel, the same stuff used on a lot of military equiptment to bring the weight down. And that is a good thing!

As far as using the unit, I have drilled about 100 holes with no issues. The shaft bolt loosens after about 30 holes and needs to be tightened. My auger also starts and runs at -20C better than I do.

Almost forgot, the unit is lighter then most other units.

I hope this helps.....

Jan 2011 update

Still very happy with the StrikeMaster auger. I did have one issue with the pull cord on the top. The recoil wasn't working well and the cord got wrapped around the top of the guide causing it to get stuck. This was on Spray of course after a 30min hike to the fishing location. I took out my pliers and proceeded to rip chunks out of the top bezel till I freed the pull cord and had it working. Once I was home I called StrikeMaster told them what I did pliers and all. StrikeMaster promptly sent me out a new recoil assembly and top bezel for free.

I was able to start the auger with no issue at -28 this year also.

buckmaster
09-03-2011, 09:55 AM

I bought a mako from costco and so far no problems.The shark isnt worth the extra money IMO.

MoFugger21
09-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Eskimo

/thread

Willowtrail
09-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Dave I grabbed a Shark last year and loved it. If you want we can go test it out at Ste Anne this winter before you buy.

Try mine before you buy yours.:sHa_shakeshout:

Runs quiet, the jiffy's are super loud.

HunterDave
09-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks Willow! I think that I'm going to try to pick one up before the ice freezes though. It'll probably depend on whether or not I can find a deal. At the start of the year when the ice is thinner I don't mind hand augering if I have to. It's when it's +3' deep and I have 4 holes to punch is when I'll want the power one....lol! :)

ak-71
09-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Asked Fishing Hole about z51 they don't have any in stores

madatter
09-07-2011, 09:56 AM
I've got an older Jiffy....been great and I love the durability of their blades.
Got a 2year old Eskimo,tho it's their top of the line Z71 and the thing runs and cuts great but the blades are very fragile compared to the Jiffys.....do not like dirt and sand at all.

pecker
09-08-2011, 08:28 PM
i've got an eskimo shark thats 12 years old now . shreds the ice . only problem i had was the tank to gasline connection -- had to j.b weld that.:)

chubbdarter
09-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Unless your talking propane or synthetic auger....the prices arnt really much different.....that being said..ive tryed them all and i like SM best, combine it with Gary Roaches blade sharpener for SM and it jst never stops drilling

braxxtonn
09-08-2011, 08:44 PM
nothing like a jiffy!! there Tried Tested and TRue , theres a reson why some people have 25 year old jiffy's that still run,

chubbdarter
09-08-2011, 09:04 PM
nothing like a jiffy!! there Tried Tested and TRue , theres a reson why some people have 25 year old jiffy's that still run,

I got a 8 track player that still works too ........................

Kim473
09-10-2011, 03:04 AM
Unless your talking propane or synthetic auger....the prices arnt really much different.....that being said..ive tryed them all and i like SM best, combine it with Gary Roaches blade sharpener for SM and it jst never stops drilling

$300 verses $450 hmmmmmmmmmm