PDA

View Full Version : Tip Up Instructions

Mish
01-14-2008, 11:04 PM
So....I bought two tip ups today....because I want to be able to learn what I like since I'm new to ice fishing. One was super easy to set up but the second is incredibly frustrating. I know it's something simple that I'm missing. I've Googled it, but can't seem to find it. Anyone know where I can find instructions on the Sub Zero Trophy Tamer Tip-Up? Heading out to Cow tomorrow so I'd love to figure it out by then.

Mish
01-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Or....any tip-up? :D

TundraBuck
01-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Aaaah the old trophy tamer... We had a hard time when we first got ours. That is this design right?

http://dakotaangler.com/images/1664_WoodTipUp.jpeg

Sort of that idea?

If so, all you do is loosen the screws to get it set up like that. Now, I know the frabill trophy tamer doesnt have that extra piece on the flag shaft, so just allow the T bar to sit about 2 or 3 inches above the plastic/wood. From there, put the flagshaft underneath the T bar. Now when the fish starts pulling out line, up goes the flag.

If you get into tipup fishing, you HAVE to get the Frabill Polar Therms. They cover the whole hole, preventing it from freezing over, and they stack nicely in a 5 gallon pail. I love them.

Hope this helps.

Mish
01-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks! I had it all wrong...the only thing that the packaging said was if it is windy to tuck the flag under one part, and if it is not windy to tuck the flag under another part...so I was trying to figure out how it worked if I laid the whole thing flat out instead of as a T.

I am heading back out to Cow on the weekend most likely so I'll have to test it out.

ULTRAlite
01-16-2008, 05:11 PM
I am heading back out to Cow on the weekend most likely so I'll have to test it out.

Good luck to ya - let us know how ya make out :)

nightmagic
01-17-2008, 05:09 PM
thank 's i was just coming to post for the same thing i emailed them and this is what i got

from the manufacture

Does it have a model number ?

We don't have a picture of that tip-up . Best thing to do is take it to your local sporting goods , they will help you set it up .

"Mark
To
ca> <Denis.Tibbetts@south-bend.com>
cc
01/17/2008 08:36

Mish
01-17-2008, 05:29 PM
thank 's i was just coming to post for the same thing i emailed them and this is what i got

from the manufacture

Does it have a model number ?

We don't have a picture of that tip-up . Best thing to do is take it to your local sporting goods , they will help you set it up .

"Mark
To
ca> <Denis.Tibbetts@south-bend.com>
cc
01/17/2008 08:36

Well that's an awfully helpful manufacturer :)

mulecrazy
01-17-2008, 06:08 PM
That style of tip-up is my fav. I use it all the time with pike, burbot, and walleye. I love the fact that they can pulll line with ease before ya get there. I like to use a whistler jig tipped with a minnow and hang it about 6 inches from the bottom.

TundraBuck
01-17-2008, 08:02 PM
That style of tip-up is my fav. I use it all the time with pike, burbot, and walleye. I love the fact that they can pulll line with ease before ya get there. I like to use a whistler jig tipped with a minnow and hang it about 6 inches from the bottom.

That's the idea of any tipup, not just that style. Beats the hell out of a rod and a reel for deadsticks.

Wilbur
01-17-2008, 11:05 PM
i just wrap some line around an old ax handle and lay it across the hole

Drano
01-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Just take an old javex bottle and wrap some line around it. When the fish takes the hook the bottle goes in the hole and the fish is hooked. Never fails.

TundraBuck
01-18-2008, 08:13 AM
i just wrap some line around an old ax handle and lay it across the hole

Well how can you tell when you have a hit? And you don't use braid?! Man that's gotta hurt when you hook a big fish.

Wilbur
01-18-2008, 10:03 AM
Well how can you tell when you have a hit? And you don't use braid?! Man that's gotta hurt when you hook a big fish.

I put on bailer twine and a big spoon and a large herring i don't need to know if i have a hit he'll be there when i check

TundraBuck
01-18-2008, 05:01 PM
I put on bailer twine and a big spoon and a large herring i don't need to know if i have a hit he'll be there when i check

Guthooked. What if it's undersized, then what do you do?

Wilbur
01-19-2008, 02:00 AM
Guthooked. What if it's undersized, then what do you do?

it isn't gut hooked

TundraBuck
01-19-2008, 10:17 AM
it isn't gut hooked

Ummm if there is bait on the hook, and you don't have some sort of strike indicator, yes, it will more then likely be guthooked, and I'm sure anyone here can back me up.

rincon
01-19-2008, 11:00 AM
wibur you sound kind of like a knob

Wilbur
01-19-2008, 06:40 PM
i am not a knob i didn't gut hook fish i use a filleting knife to clean them i like my ax handle tipup i can keep the fish anyway give me an email if you have a problem with my tip up wilburyellowknife@hotmail.com

rincon
01-19-2008, 06:46 PM
an ax handle isnt a tipup!

TundraBuck
01-19-2008, 08:07 PM
i am not a knob i didn't gut hook fish i use a filleting knife to clean them i like my ax handle tipup i can keep the fish anyway give me an email if you have a problem with my tip up wilburyellowknife@hotmail.com

A filleting knife has nothing to do with guthooking a fish. I'm not bashing you but I am just saying gut hooking fish is not very ethical. I hate it. Its the same as shooting an animal in the guts really. You can't always keep the fish, if they aren't the right size (pike = 63 cm) etc.

javlin101
02-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Ok, I am new to tip ups as well but have figured it out up to the spool of line. How do you stop the line spoolin out if you want to be 8-10" inches from the bottom?

munyee4321
02-20-2010, 02:07 PM
your flag will put upward pressure on the trigger which stops the spool... so when a fish buys and runs the trigger spins releasing the flag and line. so you will have to adjust line to your deisred 8-10inches off the bottom and set the flag which will hold it in place.. dont for get to account for length of the spool being below the ice surface.

DarkAisling
02-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Ok, I am new to tip ups as well but have figured it out up to the spool of line. How do you stop the line spoolin out if you want to be 8-10" inches from the bottom?

Is it a beaver dam style tip up?

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/large_images/499/200755499.jpg

javlin101
02-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Yes but the orange plastic sub zero.

javlin101
02-20-2010, 02:20 PM
your flag will put upward pressure on the trigger which stops the spool... so when a fish buys and runs the trigger spins releasing the flag and line. so you will have to adjust line to your deisred 8-10inches off the bottom and set the flag which will hold it in place.. dont for get to account for length of the spool being below the ice surface.

Ok duh, thanks now it makes perfect sense, I am a knob!

DarkAisling
02-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Okay . . . if it is the same style as the one in the picture I should be able to explain how I do it.

In the picture, there is a ring to the right of the spool. The ring is connected to the metal rod that holds the spool.

I run my line from the spool and straight through that ring. I don't wrap it around the ring, just run the line through it. This prevents the line from falling off of the spool. If your jig (if that's what you're using) is too heavy you'll see that ring spinning in circles as your bait falls to the bottom. If that happens, use a lighter jig.

Your tip up might have an adjustment that will allow you to use heavier baits and jigs. One of mine does and the other doesn't.

Other people may do it differently, but I've discovered that what works best for me :)

javlin101
02-20-2010, 02:28 PM
Okay . . . if it is the same style as the one in the picture I should be able to explain how I do it.

In the picture, there is a ring to the right of the spool. The ring is connected to the metal rod that holds the spool.

I run my line from the spool and straight through that ring. I don't wrap it around the ring, just run the line through it. This prevents the line from falling off of the spool. If your jig (if that's what you're using) is too heavy you'll see that ring spinning in circles as your bait falls to the bottom. If that happens, use a lighter jig.

Your tip up might have an adjustment that will allow you to use heavier baits and jigs. One of mine does and the other doesn't.

Other people may do it differently, but I've discovered that what works best for me :)

Thanks I got it figured out now. One more question. It came with heavy black line so can I put a swivle on that & then a hook?

munyee4321
02-20-2010, 02:32 PM
ya sure can... but i find that line is crap lol.... depending on your targeted fish species.. most commonly pike.... i would switch up to dacron line it holds knots alot better. At WSS 150yard spool of anywhere from 20lbs -80lbs is 8-10bucks.... its thick enough to not cut your hands on a fight but thin enough to spool on a good amount.

DarkAisling
02-20-2010, 02:35 PM
I use the thick black line in 50lb, I think. I attach a swivel to the end of it, and then I attached a leader (either steel or 80lb fluorocarbon) to the tip-up line. I attach the jig or quick-strike rig to the leader.

javlin101
02-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Great thanks guys I will give it a try next weekend.

Jim

tacklerunner
02-20-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks I got it figured out now. One more question. It came with heavy black line so can I put a swivle on that & then a hook?

A good strong swivel, biggest and most expensive you can find and then a steel wire leader; you can buy them with swivel on one end and snap on the other. Still tie swivel to your line so you can change gear easily; if your going for Pike. Even if not and you are using bait in a lake that has pike, you will get a pike.