PDA

View Full Version : mod 70 featherweight stainless?

bwcweld
09-03-2011, 08:20 AM
I've been thinking about getting into a .270wsm. I've narrowed my choice down to a featherweight but I see on winchesters website that you can get a featherweight stainless. Has anyone seen one of these in person? Are they only available in the states?

ovis40
09-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Had one in my hands in Dawson Ck. several weeks ago.

Bushrat
09-03-2011, 09:11 AM
They are around, picked up one in 270 win. Featherweight in name only they are heavy for their size. 270 + rounds of various handloads down the tube and it don't shoot for beans. Going to pillar bed the thing and see if it helps.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/markdriscoll/Model70stainless270win002.jpg

bwcweld
09-03-2011, 11:41 AM
They are around, picked up one in 270 win. Featherweight in name only they are heavy for their size. 270 + rounds of various handloads down the tube and it don't shoot for beans. Going to pillar bed the thing and see if it helps.
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/markdriscoll/Model70stainless270win002.jpg

Ya that might help.....kinda crappy though

Pathfinder76
09-03-2011, 12:13 PM
I wish I had a dollar for every rifle that "wouldn't" shoot and really would.

bwcweld
09-03-2011, 01:52 PM
i think i'll still try one....go with talley one peice rings lap em up and put my old vx3 on top and see what happens. i cant beleive how smooth these guns are and i like how they went back to the old pre 64 mauser bolts. and the price is right too

Bushrat
09-03-2011, 07:55 PM
I wish I had a dollar for every rifle that "wouldn't" shoot and really would.

Ya me too Chuck. I've bought a lot of those rifles from guys that couldn't get them to shoot, in most cases people I bought em from just don't know how to shoot cause most shot just fine for me. Every once in a while if you shoot enough rifles and many thousands of rounds a year you do run into the odd new out of the box rifle that just dosen't shoot because it has a bad crown, pooched bedding, etc.... you know, all those simple things you can fix easily. I fully intend to get this gun to shoot at least as well as the many model 70's I own or have owned.

Pathfinder76
09-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Ya me too Chuck. I've bought a lot of those rifles from guys that couldn't get them to shoot, in most cases people I bought em from just don't know how to shoot cause most shot just fine for me. Every once in a while if you shoot enough rifles and many thousands of rounds a year you do run into the odd new out of the box rifle that just dosen't shoot because it has a bad crown, pooched bedding, etc.... you know, all those simple things you can fix easily. I fully intend to get this gun to shoot at least as well as the many model 70's I own or have owned.

And I'm sure you will be successful. I recently had a semi custom rifle put together that would not shoot much better than 2". I then discovered the guard screws binding in the holes, relieved them and it turned it into a 1/2" gun instantly.