PDA

View Full Version : Tags at Pigeon and Newell??

Gordoats26
01-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Has anyone heard if They are going to do the Draw for Walleye Tags again this year at Newell and Pigeon this year?

TundraBuck
01-15-2008, 08:47 AM
I hope they do, we got our Class A's last year and filled them in August at Pigeon. Man were they good eating!

Gordoats26
01-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Is that right. when did they anounce it last year? April was it?

lippy
01-16-2008, 02:08 AM
Is that right. when did they anounce it last year? April was it?
I would be looking into it sooner than that. I would think that you could apply as soon as the new licences are available in March. Last year they gave out more tags because not as many people applied as they thought but I am willing to bet that this year there is going to be a stampede!

SNAPFisher
01-16-2008, 08:18 AM
As far as I know the tag system was a two year pilot ending last year. It is possible that based on feedback that there may not even be another tag system. However, I believe it has a better than 50% chance in returning soon. This is only my opinion though and I am waiting to hear more from SRD. I suspect that we might begin to hear the plan in Feb or Mar. Stay tuned :)

Ayr
01-16-2008, 08:37 AM
I would think that they are interested in carrying on with the program or a version of it. I received a phone call from them and spent 30 mins. answering questions on how to make the tag system better, with more participation going forward. I'm guessing that they would not go through the time and effort to survey anglers if they were planning to shelve the program. Just my 2 cents.

Ayr.

TundraBuck
01-16-2008, 08:41 AM
They are putting A LOT of time, money, and effort into the research of this program. When we were at Pigeon there was a fisheries student who took our fish, and took samples to age and sex them, and took a tooth sample and a skin sample and some other things. Also asked us approximately how many we caught and if we caught any pike. I really do hope they allow this again, Pigeon is a great walleye fishery we were having 100 fish each days out there, it's fun catch and releasing but it's nice to be able to have a few walleye every now and then. Buck Lake you can only keep one, but that's alright too. Just my 2 cents.