PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in the Queen Charlottes - Fishing Report Aug 30 - Sept 3, 2011

Sundancefisher
09-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Just got back from fishing and wow was it ever good again. The Chinook numbers were about half the Spring numbers but still about 30-40 or more depending upon the boat. I think the main reason we caught fewer was there were TONS of COHO! We also caught more Chum salmon this trip than all previous 11 trips combined. Surprisingly enough I did not see as many pinks as I was thinking we would see. Our boat only caught a few. We did not catch any sockeye this year. One boat caught a steelhead. Bottom fishing was tougher due to waves and wind and very high tide. Water was RIPPING! Still...I managed a nice 10 and 17 pound hali...a bunch of mid twenty lings...and a batch of nice sized black rockfish. Even the weather cooperated insofar as having all the east side of Langara Island open and the whole shoreline of Graham. We had only a half day of rain...and lots of sun. All in all a very well rounded trip. Now I just need to pull out some photos and look forward to next year!

Cheers

Sun

Sundancefisher
09-04-2011, 09:40 AM
photos

Who can tell me which species of rockfish the lone pretty one is? I have a guess.

Badback
09-04-2011, 10:29 AM
What time is supper at?...lol...Right on Sun....

Sundancefisher
09-04-2011, 11:04 AM
What time is supper at?...lol...Right on Sun....

I am sashiming a coho right now...got to get some wasabi though... :sHa_shakeshout:

fishmonger
09-04-2011, 12:02 PM
photos

Who can tell me which species of rockfish the lone pretty one is? I have a guess.

Canary...

Speckle55
09-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Very Nice Trip .. Sundancefisher

Serengeti Charters
09-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Beauty catch...love it. And yes, it is a Canary.

Sundancefisher
09-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Beauty catch...love it. And yes, it is a Canary.

Yup... It is a nice canary. Amazing all the different species out there. I am trying to start a picture collection.

I have

Black Rockfish
China Rockfish
Copper Rockfish
Canary Rockfish
Quillback Rockfish
Yelloweye Rockfish

Would love to get a tiger rockfish, Vermillion, Yellowtail, and Brown to round out my collection

Erik
09-04-2011, 05:43 PM
The Chinook numbers were about half the Spring numbers but still about 30-40 or more depending upon the boat.

??? Is this a typo? You know that Spring and Chinook are the same thing?

I think that maybe you meant that you made a trip in the spring? Not clear. Sorry.

Erik
09-04-2011, 05:51 PM
. We did not catch any sockeye this year. One boat caught a steelhead.

It's almost impossible to catch sockeye, as they feed almost exclusively on krill (hence the redness of their flesh). If you were to catch one on the ocean you would consider yourself very lucky. It can be done, but only when they run so thick that you snag them. In the river they are caught using a technique called flossing, which is essentially snagging them by side-hooking via quick retrieval while bouncing along the rocks/gravel on the bottom. Steelhead at sea are also a rare catch, one that I always enjoy seeing. They are such a pretty fish.

Sundancefisher
09-04-2011, 05:51 PM
??? Is this a typo? You know that Spring and Chinook are the same thing?

LOL...

I fished in June and late August...when referring to Spring...I meant the Spring catch...not Spring the other name for Chinook, King etc.

I saw more Chinook to the boat in June versus this last trip.

I ended up taking my limit of Chinook, 2 large Chum (gone to the smoker), 2 nice coho, Lingcod, Halibut and Rockfish.

Got the halibut before the Monday closure.

Sundancefisher
09-04-2011, 05:54 PM
It's almost impossible to catch sockeye, as they feed almost exclusively on krill (hence the redness of their flesh). If you were to catch one on the ocean you would consider yourself very lucky. It can be done, but only when they run so thick that you snag them. In the river they are caught using a technique called flossing, which is essentially snagging them by side-hooking via quick retrieval while bouncing along the rocks/gravel on the bottom. Steelhead at sea are also a rare catch, one that I always enjoy seeing. They are such a pretty fish.

Steelhead are a rare catch. The one caught was about 15 lbs.

As for Sockeye...it is not as hard as you think. I actually have caught them every trip except this one. Usually at least one a trip...sometimes 3 or 4. I usually catch them when fishing in about 200 feet of water, slow trolling a cutplug for deep running chinook.

If you check with a guide...they are not as uncommon as you would think...but when comparing to the numbers of Coho and Chinook...they are fewer where I fish.

If you go to Port Alberni during a sockeye run...you catch plenty trolling a hoochie. Go give it a spin..although I find the fight there about as exciting as reeling in a wet sock. Still...they are also great sashimi.

Sundancefisher
09-04-2011, 05:56 PM
I am sashiming a coho right now...got to get some wasabi though... :sHa_shakeshout:

Sashimi coho was delicious. I marinated part in thick terriaki then cooked on the bbq.

YUMMMMMY

Erik
09-04-2011, 05:57 PM
LOL...

I fished in June and late August...when referring to Spring...I meant the Spring catch...not Spring the other name for Chinook, King etc.

Gotcha, caught it afterwards. Sorry.

Erik
09-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Steelhead are a rare catch. The one caught was about 15 lbs.

As for Sockeye...it is not as hard as you think. I actually have caught them every trip except this one. Usually at least one a trip...sometimes 3 or 4. I usually catch them when fishing in about 200 feet of water, slow trolling a cutplug for deep running chinook.

If you check with a guide...they are not as uncommon as you would think...but when comparing to the numbers of Coho and Chinook...they are fewer where I fish.

I worked on that ship in the background of your photo as a deckhand for three seasons. In those seasons I saw maybe a half dozen sockeye each season and there were 16 boats with 32 guests on board covering May-Sept. They certainly aren't a rare fish, just a rare catch.

Nice photos by the way. The sunset shots sure bring back memories of sitting on the back of the CP in the evening while the guests were at dinner.

Sundancefisher
09-04-2011, 06:09 PM
I worked on that ship in the background of your photo as a deckhand for three seasons. In those seasons I saw maybe a half dozen sockeye each season and there were 16 boats with 32 guests on board covering May-Sept. They certainly aren't a rare fish, just a rare catch.

Nice photos by the way. The sunset shots sure bring back memories of sitting on the back of the CP in the evening while the guests were at dinner.

Those were sunrises...simply spectacular this trip. It was looking east from Marchant towards Lucy.

As for Sockeye...I suspect it is just how the guys fish in those boats or not fishing in the same area. I can personally attest that sockeye do take cut plugs. Langara Fishing Lodge seems to have no problem catching them...on a trip...sometimes 15-20. Many people put them back also because they are often not as big as coho or larger chums. Still...I would and do keep them. I have some still to eat. Biggest is about 11 lbs.

mayuan
09-05-2011, 08:41 AM
I noticed that you had a couple of flounder in the pic there. How did they taste?

I was just below the Queen Charlotte’s this year and it was the best fishing I have seen in a long time. I limited out on the Coho, but didn't have any Chinook strikes. I managed to get a 49lb halibut this year too.

Sundancefisher
09-05-2011, 09:24 AM
I noticed that you had a couple of flounder in the pic there. How did they taste?

I was just below the Queen Charlotte’s this year and it was the best fishing I have seen in a long time. I limited out on the Coho, but didn't have any Chinook strikes. I managed to get a 49lb halibut this year too.

They were also halibut. Lots of chickens get caught when the west side is too rough to fish.

Last I ate a flounder...it was good. Kind of blander than hali.

Rockymtnx
09-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Looks like it was another great trip.
Thanks for sharing your pics with us.

Erik
09-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Those were sunrises...simply spectacular this trip. It was looking east from Marchant towards Lucy.

As for Sockeye...I suspect it is just how the guys fish in those boats or not fishing in the same area. I can personally attest that sockeye do take cut plugs. Langara Fishing Lodge seems to have no problem catching them...on a trip...sometimes 15-20. Many people put them back also because they are often not as big as coho or larger chums. Still...I would and do keep them. I have some still to eat. Biggest is about 11 lbs.

I am surprised to find that they take cut plugs; all this time I have lived with the idea that they were completely ignorant to larger bait. I suspect it is the depth of water in which you are fishing which makes the considerable difference in the success rate between the Langara Lodge and the CP, since you use downriggers and the CP is exclusively mooching with banana weights. The downriggers can reach depths where most sockeye would be, driving past Langara along the Salmon highway for waters further south.

Sundancefisher
09-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I am surprised to find that they take cut plugs; all this time I have lived with the idea that they were completely ignorant to larger bait. I suspect it is the depth of water in which you are fishing which makes the considerable difference in the success rate between the Langara Lodge and the CP, since you use downriggers and the CP is exclusively mooching with banana weights. The downriggers can reach depths where most sockeye would be, driving past Langara along the Salmon highway for waters further south.

We have had schools of sockeye under the boat and taking bait. And many guides catch them on bait using mooching gear. Langara is almost exclusively mooching.

Hoochies work really well for them also. Not sure about jigging spoons. Never tried for them specifically but I caught lots of coho this trip.

Next year...if the chinook and coho are as abundant I plan to use my fast sink fly line. I also want to spend a day on one of the remote rivers chasing cutts and dollies and the odd salmon depending upon the season.

Scott h
09-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Looks like you had a great trip!!
I'm glad to hear the weathers been good up there, but I hope they get a good drop of rain in the next while, as that will help pop the mushrooms up. Nothing beats a tailgate lunch of sitka loins fried up with a big bunch of chanterelles:).
Only 2 more weeks !!

Sundancefisher
09-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Looks like you had a great trip!!
I'm glad to hear the weathers been good up there, but I hope they get a good drop of rain in the next while, as that will help pop the mushrooms up. Nothing beats a tailgate lunch of sitka loins fried up with a big bunch of chanterelles:).
Only 2 more weeks !!

No shortage of rain in the Queen Charlottes. Like I tell my buddies on my trips each year...this is not a suntanning vacation...it is a fishing vacation!

:sHa_shakeshout:

Serengeti Charters
09-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Sockeye will take anchovy or herring occasionally, but they do feed on krill and shrimp as their main diet so if targetting them use hootchies that match that accordingly and you will be MUCH more successful. Caught about 12 sockeye on chovies this year actually.

As for those rockfish, that is a canary, gorgeous fish and decent eating...vermillion usually are on sand banks/ slopes like yelloweye but are usually farther offshore...one place we go we catch quite a few...love their dark red color...amazingggg!!! Tiger rockfish quite often on top of a shallow rocky area...with the big lings below them chomping em up...tiger rockfish by many are thought as the best eating rockfish, even better than yelloweye...yummmm!! :D

goose
09-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Hey Sundance, what do you have to do the rest of the year for your wife to let you go salmon fishing twice a year,LOL. Looks like you had alot of fun.

take care
Goose

Brandonkop
09-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Beautiful Canary rockfish, I caught a couple of them down here in California off my Kayak a few months ago. Down here they are catch and release only along with Yelloweye and cowcod. There are many more species of rockfish down here to catch thought. I love fishing for them. Thanks for the great report and nice pics.

So far I've caught the following Rockfish down in california:
Vermillion
Copper
Olive
Black
Canary
Brown
Kelp
Gopher
Black and Yellow
Blue

Around Vancouver Island I remember catching mostly
Quillback and Coppers I believe.

Here's some pics of these gorgeous fish:
Black and Yellow
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/IMG_0173.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur/IMG_0285.jpg
Brown
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur%20Nov%202010/BigSurNov201059-1.jpg
Vermillion
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur%20July%202011/11-07-2931.jpg
Copper
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur%20July%202011/11-07-2935.jpg
Four different rockfish and a ling
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur%20July%202011/11-07-2923.jpg
Another Vermillion I caught
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur%20July%202011/11-07-29221.jpg

Some other creatures caught while fishing for rockfish
Greenling
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/IMG_0171.jpg
Cabezon
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur/BigSur194.jpg
Ling Cod
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur/BigSur197.jpg

So if you're looking into expanding your numbers after you've caught allt he Canadian species come down to North California, there are 30 some types I believe.

Brandon

Sundancefisher
09-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Beautiful Canary rockfish, I caught a couple of them down here in California off my Kayak a few months ago. Down here they are catch and release only along with Yelloweye and cowcod. There are many more species of rockfish down here to catch thought. I love fishing for them. Thanks for the great report and nice pics.

So far I've caught the following Rockfish down in california:
Vermillion
Copper
Olive
Black
Canary
Brown
Kelp
Gopher
Black and Yellow
Blue

Around Vancouver Island I remember catching mostly
Quillback and Coppers I believe.

Here's some pics of these gorgeous fish:
Black and Yellow
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/IMG_0173.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur/IMG_0285.jpg
Brown
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur%20Nov%202010/BigSurNov201059-1.jpg
Vermillion
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur%20July%202011/11-07-2931.jpg
Copper
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur%20July%202011/11-07-2935.jpg
Four different rockfish and a ling
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur%20July%202011/11-07-2923.jpg
Another Vermillion I caught
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur%20July%202011/11-07-29221.jpg

Some other creatures caught while fishing for rockfish
Greenling
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/IMG_0171.jpg
Cabezon
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur/BigSur194.jpg
Ling Cod
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Brandonkop3/Big%20Sur/BigSur197.jpg

So if you're looking into expanding your numbers after you've caught allt he Canadian species come down to North California, there are 30 some types I believe.

Brandon

Nice cabazon. We have caught a few bigger than that one. I may be coming to you for a few pics :-)

pope
09-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Nice stuff!
We will be there Sept 11 to 18, mostly around Sandspit - so will hopfully have some pics of big fish!

Tofinofish
09-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Great report SDF.

Glad to hear the big Coho are still thick in the North as there must be a major body of these big hook nose demons all up the coast!

We are seeing 20-30 per day offshore, and the Saltwaater Fly program is unreal....big slab Ho's hitting flies with a vengeance.. Will try and post some pics here soon but limited time as we are still in peak season on the WCVI.

If you need any custom tied saltwaater Flies for next year, we will be going on full production all winter. I just received another beauty batch of Polar Bear, approx half a hide ready to be died, tied, epoxied and stripped in front of a hungry salmon.

Enjoy the Sashimi!

J.

BigBuck$
09-09-2011, 11:18 AM
photos

Vermillion Rockfish would be my guess, sounds like you had a great trip.

mike_samoil
09-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Erik im with SDF sockeyes are not hard to catch in the ocean, ive fished tofino, port alberni, rupert, and most places in between, we arent nessecarily hauling them in but i would not say they are rare, but i do agree with your comment about steelhead

:thinking-006:

mike_samoil
09-09-2011, 07:52 PM
but erik im not saying its you but in the ocean on multiple ocasions ive limited out on sockeyes in 2-3 hours:fighting0030:

Sundancefisher
09-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Hey Sundance, what do you have to do the rest of the year for your wife to let you go salmon fishing twice a year,LOL. Looks like you had alot of fun.

take care
Goose

ummmm... What ever she wants...:sHa_shakeshout:

Sundancefisher
09-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Great report SDF.

Glad to hear the big Coho are still thick in the North as there must be a major body of these big hook nose demons all up the coast!

We are seeing 20-30 per day offshore, and the Saltwaater Fly program is unreal....big slab Ho's hitting flies with a vengeance.. Will try and post some pics here soon but limited time as we are still in peak season on the WCVI.

If you need any custom tied saltwaater Flies for next year, we will be going on full production all winter. I just received another beauty batch of Polar Bear, approx half a hide ready to be died, tied, epoxied and stripped in front of a hungry salmon.

Enjoy the Sashimi!

J.

I am definitely going to need a few to try. I did not have the best boat for flyfishing out of this last trip but I did get about 30 casts in to a needlefish bait ball. I had two good strikes...probably coho...then OMG!!!!! I saw a 18 lb Chinook rise up and swipe the fly...I think I pulled it away too fast...AHHHHHHH! But it was still worth seeing it happen. My heart raced for 20 minutes just on the memory alone.

I have to try a few different flies.

Tofinofish
09-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Hard to forget that big black mouth chomping a Fly in front of you!!!

Cool experience that few can say they have had - That'll keep you wanting more!!

I would suggest some articulated flies that really stick well when you hook up, even on spinning, twisting and jumping Coho.

Sundancefisher
09-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Hard to forget that big black mouth chomping a Fly in front of you!!!

Cool experience that few can say they have had - That'll keep you wanting more!!

I would suggest some articulated flies that really stick well when you hook up, even on spinning, twisting and jumping Coho.

Looks great.

Speaking of coho...guess what I am doing now... It has to do with wasabi and soya sauce...

Tofinofish
09-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Looks great.

Speaking of coho...guess what I am doing now... It has to do with wasabi and soya sauce...

Speaking of Coho, I'd like to be handling some with Wasabi too, but did manage to put a whole pile in the locker on ice this morning for my guests.... mentioned the wasabi option to them but they were not the Albertan sushimi types I guess :scared:

Also amazing how chrome the Springs still are offshore today..only 1 in 8 have even a hint of colour.

Enjoy the great grub and I will be posting some more detailed pics of Fly and Bucktail patterns on the forum when time allows.

J.

Sundancefisher
09-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Speaking of Coho, I'd like to be handling some with Wasabi too, but did manage to put a whole pile in the locker on ice this morning for my guests.... mentioned the wasabi option to them but they were not the Albertan sushimi types I guess :scared:

Also amazing how chrome the Springs still are offshore today..only 1 in 8 have even a hint of colour.

Enjoy the great grub and I will be posting some more detailed pics of Fly and Bucktail patterns on the forum when time allows.

J.

I feel like a sea lions...packed full of coho... I did not think I could eat a half a coho sashimi style...but I guess I am a true carnivore. LOL