PDA

View Full Version : Can I add weight to small spinners?

Big_Russky
09-04-2011, 09:17 AM
I went fishing on the NSR and tried using a couple of small spinners and spoons (one was #3 red-and-gold Mepps). My problem is that I can't cast them as far as I would want because it has very little weight. Most of the time I can only get them as far as 25-30 ft or so, but I've seen people casting their lure almost a third of the NSR width. As the NSR is pretty shallow at 25-30 ft from the shore (I was fishing downstream of the Devon bridge), I don't think I can have much luck unless I cast farther.
Here comes the question: can I add a few splitshots close to small spinners, plugs and spoons so I cast them farther from the shore? Is it going to affect their action? Or are they even meant to be cast farther than 25-30 ft?
Thanks!

JohnnyD
09-04-2011, 09:54 AM
I think your best bet would be to rig the mepps with a walking sinker and a bead attached to a swivel, than add 1-2' of fluorocarbon to tie this directly to your mepps. This has worked great for me in the past in adding weight to nearly any bait without compromising the action.

The only thing missing from this picture is the bead. Put a small bead between to sinker and the swivel, it helps prevent the weight from damaging the knot. Also keep in mind the longer the leader from the swivel to the bait the harder it will be to cast.

Big_Russky
09-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks, JohnnyD, I''ll definitely try this. What sinker weight do you use? Would 3/4 oz be enough?

Dust1n
09-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks, JohnnyD, I''ll definitely try this. What sinker weight do you use? Would 3/4 oz be enough?

3/4 oz is pretty heavey

lone wolf
09-04-2011, 01:22 PM
I think your best bet would be to rig the mepps with a walking sinker and a bead attached to a swivel, than add 1-2' of fluorocarbon to tie this directly to your mepps. This has worked great for me in the past in adding weight to nearly any bait without compromising the action.

The only thing missing from this picture is the bead. Put a small bead between to sinker and the swivel, it helps prevent the weight from damaging the knot. Also keep in mind the longer the leader from the swivel to the bait the harder it will be to cast.

Any small egg sinker will accomplish the same thing as well. You will get distance without compromising the action of the lure.

JohnnyD
09-04-2011, 01:22 PM

I'd start with 1/8 or 1/4 ounce, just enough to give you some extra casting distance.

bloopbloob
09-04-2011, 01:33 PM
One of my favorites for rivers is a 3/8 oz brown trout panther martin. Not really much bigger than the smaller versions, but that weight really helps get the extra casting distance. I've tried the split shot and just don't like it.

clarki
09-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Lighter line may also help. If you are trying to cast spinners with line heavier than 10 Lb. test it can be tough to get distance. 8Lb test or lighter for spinner casting IMO. also be sure to have a full spool of line, this helps too.

M

drhu22
09-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Lighter line may also help. If you are trying to cast spinners with line heavier than 10 Lb. test it can be tough to get distance. 8Lb test or lighter for spinner casting IMO. also be sure to have a full spool of line, this helps too.

M
Times Ten...
Also, I find fighting fish on lighter line/tackle is much more exciting, because you can feel the fish better, and he has fairer chance of getting away. (too much excitement for some people!)

Big_Russky
09-04-2011, 02:21 PM

M
I use 10 lb test line for fishing in the NSR. I switched to it from the 6 lb line I had used for lake trout fishing. Just thought 6 lb might not do it if a pike hits my lure or if I hit a snag in the river.

horsetrader
09-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Just add a couple splits 18" to 2 ft up the line putting them close will interfere with the action

clarki
09-04-2011, 05:24 PM
I think 6Lb is much stronger than most people give it credit for. Fluorocarbon tippet material may help you with the toothy critters if you decide to go with lighter line.

M

Whiskey
09-04-2011, 05:56 PM
i was just using a big split shot about 16" up. works great for me....