PDA

View Full Version : I broke the tip of the Fly Rod...

tara_13
09-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi, I broke the tip of my husband's pretty expensive fly rod... Is it repairable or do I need to buy him a really nice present ??
THANK YOU !!!
if you need info, let me know..

Gneisenau
09-06-2011, 12:10 PM
What kind of fly rod is it? If its spendy then it should have some kind of warranty. Usually you can send some off and get them either repaired or get a replacement.

Caper28
09-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Depending on the company they may replace the tip section under warranty or will replace it for a small fee + shipping. I've repaired a few spinning rods with a broken tip but I would recommend getting a new tip section for a fly rod, the only way I'd repair is if the company will not replace it and it was just the very tip of the rod where all you need is for someone to add a new tip top and wrap.

tonyflyfish
09-06-2011, 04:56 PM
talk to the manufacturer (see their web site) almost all quality rods are backed by a NC (handling charge may apply) replacement.

I replace a SAGE rod for $50 and now I broke it again! and they will replace again for another 50.

T

Okotokian
09-06-2011, 05:02 PM
As others have said, check with the manufacturer. That said, a buddy of mine has a fly rod 6 inches shorter than it used to be because he too broke off the tip. He just put a new rod tip on and it works just fine for him.

fishstalker
09-06-2011, 08:02 PM
repair it

take a lighter heat the base of the tip guide untill its good and hot
and pull the tip off of the remaining rod section, if there is any left, if not drill it out. make sure you use pliers, it gets the carbon fibre hot too.

then melt the tip off some hot glue or and rub it on the part to be put into the guide. then i reheat the guide/ rot tip and rotate to fit. wipe of the exess glue and it works good as new. (i think mine works even better! mind you its not a very pricy model 70 bucks for rod line and reel i think)

if you don have hot glue, i imagine epoxy, or krazy glue would work too, it is just more permanent if you mess up

anyways sorry to hear that hope this helps

fishstalker

Doc
09-06-2011, 08:05 PM
If you live in the Edmonton area I know a guy that does some fantastic work. Chuck (The Rod Man) Harvey custom builds fly rods and does tip repair as well.

tara_13
09-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Thank you all !! To reply to some of you, its a Brownie 9 ft. I looked it up and either I couldnt find it or their not in business... Im not sure. As for living near Edmonton, I live south of Calgary. If he's really good, I can consider him. I'll check more to see if I can find the manufacturer

chubbdarter
09-06-2011, 08:42 PM
If i broke a emeny's rod i would relace it with new or of like kind and quality....and if it was my mates rod it would be that or even better........dont be a hamburglar and woman up

tara_13
09-06-2011, 09:02 PM
If i broke a emeny's rod i would relace it with new or of like kind and quality....and if it was my mates rod it would be that or even better........dont be a hamburglar and woman up

My husband got a kick out of your reply, he sooo agrees with you!
It broke about 3 inches so I guess I better woman up and buy him a better one! ha

chubbdarter
09-06-2011, 09:51 PM
My husband got a kick out of your reply, he sooo agrees with you!
It broke about 3 inches so I guess I better woman up and buy him a better one! ha

a good woman is hard to find.....you'll be happier with the 3 inches back on his tip.

have a great fishing season

Sundancefisher
09-06-2011, 10:12 PM
a good woman is hard to find.....you'll be happier with the 3 inches back on his tip.

have a great fishing season

Holy cow are you witty and funny today or what. I can't stop laughing.
:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::lol::lol::lol:

chubbdarter
09-06-2011, 10:16 PM
sorry OP.....

heres a suggestion....just cut off the bottom 3 feet off your hubbys jeans also and make him some manly shorts

tara_13
09-07-2011, 07:06 AM
Com'n guys... give me a break !! Lol
Thanks for all the replies, I'll chat with Santa in December...
:)

BGSH
09-07-2011, 09:22 AM
get him a few fly rods, that way when you break another hes got a spare, hes also got a spare when he loses one as wel ;)

Okotokian
09-07-2011, 10:49 AM
sjust cut off the bottom 3 feet off your hubbys jeans also and make him some manly shorts
:snapoutofit: MANLY jean cut-offs? Too late Chubb, the parade was Sunday. Were you wearing your manly cut-offs? LOL