PDA

View Full Version : Hole in my zodiac

goose
09-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Hello all, I have a somewhat large hole on one of the seams at the back end of my zodiac. Is there a kit you can buy to repair this or do I have to take it in to the dealer to have it repaired? Any help would be much appreciated.

:scared:

thanks
Goose

Stu
09-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Auto marine specialties in Calgary will have the material and glue to complete your repair.

Rumtan
09-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Were are you located?.......the Zebec dealer in Edmonton has patches avaiible also.

Kingfisher
09-10-2011, 03:07 AM
Yes you can get the glue from Automarine Electric. But don't buy the single tube of glue, get the one that you actually have to add hardner to. It's manufactured by Belterra. It's called SC4000 Cement. It is about $75 for the glue and another $10 for the hardner. But absolutely worth the price. You may be able to find it cheaper somewher else like Greggs Distributors or some hardware store.

As far as the repair goes here are a few tips that I have learned while doing my own repairs over the years.

Start out by having the boat deflated. (I'm sure that's common sense. But then again common sense isn't always that common). Take the seam that you have split and give it a good tug with both hands. Try to seperate them. If you can they will have come appart soon anyways and should be repaired. May as well do all of what needs to be done. So once you find how much your doing then take off as much of the old glue as you can. You can use solvent sparingly though. I also found a scotchbrite pad that you use for dishes works well for this step. Then once the glue is off take some rough sand paper. Something like 80 grit. Rough up the area that your going to glue. You can tape off the area with duct tape that's not going to get glued if your afraid of hitting it with the sand paper. After you've roughed up the area then get a small container or cut a pop can in half. Pour in what glue you think you will need and add your hardner. Stir with a popsicle stick or equivilant. Heck use an old kitchen spoon or knife if that's all you have. After stirring the glue thoroughly then apply a thin layer of glue to both sides of the repair. Let it sit for a minute. Then carefully put both sides together. Have some heavy blocks of wood or something heavy to place on top of the boat above where the seam is. Leave overnight and then check the next day. The glue should have cured and your repair will last you for years.

Good luck with your repair.

Rob

Kingfisher
09-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Was looking at my Zodiac repair stuff and found the hardner I use with that SC4000 cement. The hardner is a 30 gram bottle it says Rema Tip Top E40 hardner.

Rob