PDA

View Full Version : Been there?

jrs
01-17-2008, 06:29 PM
I was wondering how many guys have been to Silkstone or Lovett Lakes south of Edson? When you were there did you enjoy the fishing, the experience? Did anyone on here get a chance to fish Lac Des Roches when it was still full of water (and trout)? These lakes are all reclaimed mine pits, I'm just wondering how much use they get (or had in reference to Lac Des Roches). I know they all can produce large fish but i have heard pressure gets heavy on Silkstone and Lovett. I've been to all of them but haven't angled these ones in particular. Any input would be appreciated.

jrs
01-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Just want to bump this once, would love to hear of anyone's experiences.

fishman
01-30-2008, 07:08 PM
I have fished all these lakes.......fished lac da roche only once so can't really comment on it......as far as siltstone and lovett lake...........let but it this way how many lakes do u know that is far enough from edmonton and you have to walk 30 minutes to get into.......actually takes me 20 minutes in and 40 minutes out walking as is 1/2 way uphill on the way back...........it gets fished but i wouldn't say over fished and most of the pressure is on silkstone as you have to walk another 10 minutes to lovett lake.............as far as easch lake lets start with silkstone.......easier to catch fish then lovett, but also smaller..........you have to know the lake as the fish have about 3 favorite spots on the lake.........lovett lake........i love this lake but it is not for the normal fisherman as you better be a good fisherman or you will frusrated.........also the fish have a certain diet and you better know it to match it....sorry i am not about to revile what it is............this lake (lovett) will remain the same because of a few good reason
1) far from big centers
2) a walk in lake
3) the fish are hard to catch
4) they only stock a 1000 fish in a body of water the size of east pit

If i discouraged you from fishing there good i have done my job and i can have the lake to myself..........lol

jrs
01-30-2008, 07:43 PM
You're not discouraging me in any way but i appreciate your comments. I've been to a few pit lakes but have only fished a few . I have just been thinking how those lakes provide decent little fishing spots yet i hear very little about them from fisherman. I have met very few people that have been to those ones (likely due to the walk). I know there will be more just like those opening up in the next few years and i was wondering if people are actually using the ones that are currently developed. The only fishing experience i had in a pit lake was pretty fun, i suppose the walk discourages most but i love lakes even a bit off the beaten path (even if its on a reclaimed coalmine). Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

fishman
01-30-2008, 10:52 PM
I was just gaving some fun, i knew that u weren't being scared away but hoping that like most things around that this lake doesn't get destroyed from over pressure..........but i feel like that won't happen as the fishing in lovett lake is about small numbers of fish being caught as big water small number fish stocked.....and what they feed on is only going to be figured out by a very expiernced fisherman.........took me quite a few trips into the lake to figure out what there stable diet was..........silkstone the lake beside it might not be as lucky as it is a shorter walk and fish are easier to catch...........ohhhhh ya did i mention the bears.....

jrs
01-31-2008, 06:04 PM
The bears are nuts in that area! I only saw five grizz out that way this entire summer but another guy i work with saw 5 grizz in a week right in there, can make a guy nervous. I'm guessing you will be one of those guys looking forward to the next ones opening up as well eh? I saw a few new ones when i was reading through the stocking report, not 100% sure when we'll be able to head in for some fishing. Pretty neat opportunity :) The ones that will have natural populations really interest me, probably won't get as big as numbers won't be controlled as tightly but then again if some bullies get into some lakes look out.

fishman
01-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Me and a friend hiked into lovett and silkstone when they first opened it up which would be about 13 years ago if my memory serves me right.....we only fished silkstone the first couple times with peering over at lovett.....the fishing in silkstone was retarded so why would we want to try lovett.........we caugh high number of fish but nothing bigger then about 4 lbs. One day we decided to try to lovett lake.....well after fishing for about 2 1/2 hooked into a fish that was close to 6 pounds....we figured that thier was big fish here just now how do we catch them..............took me until just about the end of the next season to figure out the fish in that lake and when i did i had some unreal days...biggest fish was just over 10 pounds...........i am telling this because i am not worried about over fishing or catching as with all the obstacles in place it won't happen............hike in,bears,hard to catch............people r to lazy for that.....so it is left for the adventurists people.............enjoyyyyy it is so peacefull there

BGSH
08-17-2011, 05:33 PM
yup i loved this lake, where the Lovett river flows into the lake was awsome, lake is very deep as well, i would imagine over 100feet

Dust1n
08-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Anyone wanna share what there staple diet was? :)