PDA

View Full Version : Cow Lake

Cowtown guy
01-19-2008, 02:11 AM
Anything new here? Was thinking about going on Sunday with the wife. Don't want to take her unless she can have some excitement as she gets bored easily. Please let me know. I have never fished here before and heard it is a shallow water bite. How shallow?

Mish
01-19-2008, 02:44 AM
I've been there a couple times this winter. Had lots of fun, with not much luck. Only caught a few pan fries. Heading out there again for the weekend. A lot of people seem to have great luck out there though.

WildCats
01-19-2008, 03:20 AM
Gonna head out there Sunday and give it a try. Has anyone fished it in the last few days? I've never been on it before and was hoping to get into some perch.

Mish
01-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Maybe there will be some info here you can use :):

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=9559

calgarygringo
01-19-2008, 07:38 AM
Was going to post a report last night but ran out of gas and went to bed first.
We went for our first time yesterday. Got the shack and camera setup and wow what a pile of perch down below. We caught fish all day right until it started getting dark. We had the best biting on silver jigging spoons tipped with maggots. They couldn't leave them alone. Father in law commented the whole time it was like fishing in your living room in an aquarium. He couldn't even have his usual afternoon siesta in the chair. Was just too much action. Most were quite small but brought home about a dozen better size for the frying pan 8-11 inches. We did have quite a time finding the turn into the road to drive on the lake. Finally stopped at the gas station nearby for directions and girl said the sign going on the one side got taken out. Make sure you don't go driving anywhere past there as it is close. Coming from Rocky there is no sign but from the other way yes. Lots of snow on the ice so be careful if only 2 wheel drive. If much more snow falls 4 wheel will be only way or walk on. Several people out, Fished about 1/4 mile to the right coming off the ramp. Water is shallow and don't need to go way out. Most were fishing near shore. Going to give it a go next week. Not the big fish we are used to but it was a fun day.

TundraBuck
01-19-2008, 10:16 AM
After you figure them out you will limit out on perch all over 11 inches. Everytime we go now we do.

jrs
01-19-2008, 07:10 PM
I couldn't find the big ones today! Only caught 8 over 7'', didn't see many bigger ones around either. Released 30 before i got the first keeper, guess they switch locations day to day. Weather was sure chilly without the shack, won't be leaving that at home tomorrow. Still fun and still a few for the fry pan.

Cowtown guy
01-19-2008, 07:34 PM
jrs,
How was the weather and roads today. I was thinking about heading out tomorrow but I am not sure about the drive from Calgary.

TundraBuck
01-19-2008, 08:03 PM
jrs,
How was the weather and roads today. I was thinking about heading out tomorrow but I am not sure about the drive from Calgary.

Not worth it cowtown guy stick to something closer to calgary. Roads are brutal.

Mudslide
01-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I went to Cow yesterday for the first time and missed the turn having to get directions from the girl at the store. We were in a red f150 and we fished off the point by the campground. We caught a gazillion little ones in the 6-8 inch range with only a handful of bigger ones. An oldtimmer pulled up nearby; drilled one hole and within minutes pulled out a huge male trout on a wire worm and maggots then left. Towards the end of the day we went and fished the holes right by the on ramp that a guy and his wife vacated. Again, a ton of smallish fish but nothing big. I have never fished Cow before so I was a little bit disappointed. We left early enough to hit Strubble on the way back and followed the single set of tire tracks on the lake out to two holes in the middle of the lake. We dropped our jigs down and immediately got a 12 and a 14 inch trout and then got busted off, all in the space of about fifteen minutes. That was more like it.

TundraBuck
01-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Yep you can always fall back on good old struble!!!

jrs
01-19-2008, 08:11 PM
"jrs,
How was the weather and roads today. I was thinking about heading out tomorrow but I am not sure about the drive from Calgary."

I was told HWY 2 is brutal, the drive from Red Deer to Rocky was a little sketchy in the morning, not bad towards evening. The road to the actual lake is getting close to sketchy in small vehicles. I'd say there's 10'' or so of recent snow (last week) and a few people were having difficulty getting off the lake. 4X4 is a nice thing to have, lots of cars out but I'd be worried that a bit more snow would make for a good chance of getting stuck. We're staying closer to Red Deer tomorrow, it was snowing pretty heavy all afternoon and the roads are a bit slick the further west you go.

Mish
01-21-2008, 10:42 PM
After you figure them out you will limit out on perch all over 11 inches. Everytime we go now we do.

I have to start fishing with you!

TundraBuck
01-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Say the lake and date and we'll put some fish on the ice.

Mish
01-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Alright, but I'm warning you now, I aim to catch the biggest and the most.

TundraBuck
01-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Let's hope you do! I'm used to it now, my sons been kicking my ass this season. God I can remember when he used to not be able to sit still for 5 minutes, and then once I'd catch one he'd sit right back down for a couple minutes and be at it again. Now he can sit all day, no whining.