PDA

View Full Version : beginner reloading

6.5swede
09-21-2011, 10:08 PM
well ive decided that it is about time i start to reload for my 270 wsm. i currently have a lee press but im not sure on all of the other equipment i will need ,can u help me out and give me a list of things i should have.

sikwhiskey
09-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Start with a reloading manual or 2. I would recomend Speer or Hornady. They will explain the process in depth, and are must have references.

Lonnie
09-21-2011, 11:35 PM
Start with a reloading manual or 2. I would recomend Speer or Hornady. They will explain the process in depth, and are must have references.

x2 also a good scale funnel and dies. powder, primes, bullets,chamfer tool.the rest you can get as you go.reloading manual is a must Speer or hornady are among the best for someone just starting out. as they explain the relaoding prosses in detial, that a new reloader needs to know

leeelmer
09-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Also if you plan on reloading a sepcific brand of bullet pick up there load data book, use info from there book for there bullets, Also start small and do everything slowly checking and rechecking, don't get in a rush that is when bad things happen, you will find as you start there are other tools you will like to get as you go, also get a good calliper for mesureing bullets and cases, a good digital one from canadian tire will work and they are easy to use. (sorry for the spelling) Any question give me a pm and I will be more than happy to help

Metalmike123
09-23-2011, 12:39 AM
Most important piece of equipment is definitely the loading manual, I suggest reading the speer #14 manual before getting the rest of the equipment cuz it lists all the equipment(both required and optional) while explaining all the little details. It will save you lots of frustration later. after that youl probably want a funnel, trickler, scale, case prep set, dies of course, case lube and pad, case trimmer, deburring tool and other essentials

Lonnie
09-23-2011, 12:44 AM
Most important piece of equipment is definitely the loading manual, I suggest reading the speer #14 manual before getting the rest of the equipment cuz it lists all the equipment(both required and optional) while explaining all the little details. It will save you lots of frustration later. after that youl probably want a funnel, trickler, scale, case prep set, dies of course, case lube and pad, case trimmer, deburring tool and other essentials

that is what I was trying to say especially about the manual

Metalmike123
09-23-2011, 01:00 AM
that is what I was trying to say especially about the manual
glad we could agree

257Shooter
09-23-2011, 11:12 PM
First thing I bought was the "Modern Reloading" book. It's information is all based on Lee products. I thought it was a very good read for a newby reloader.

Lefty-Canuck
09-24-2011, 08:37 AM
X3.... on getting a good selection of reloading manuals....

One other thing that is overlooked and not always understood is how to recognize pressure signs and how to measure case expansion.

Really read up and understand how to recognize pressure signs while shooting reloads (or any ammunition). Also get a good set of verniers (calipers) and take note of things like case head and primer pocket expansion.....this will really help you be as safe as possible while reloading. For each of the chamberings I reload for I have a virgin brass comparator that I use to check for differences.

Have fun, be safe!

LC

gitrdun
09-24-2011, 08:48 AM
X4 on the reloading manuals. I like 'em all but especially my Lyman. And i couldn't agree more with LC on getting the tools and knowledge that will help you in recognizing the symptoms of approaching excessive pressure. All the other gadgets that either speed up the process or accurize your loads can come later as you progress. Good record keeping and avoiding distractions are cheap but valuable tools.

bwcweld
09-24-2011, 09:00 AM
All of the above plus........get a digital scale...a good one

Metalmike123
09-24-2011, 09:28 AM
All of the above plus........get a digital scale...a good one

Personally i would start with a balance scale and maybe some check weights no? They are much more reliable and repeatable than electronic scales since anything digital tends to fail much quicker. Personal preference i suppose

catnthehat
09-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Personally i would start with a balance scale and maybe some check weights no? They are much more reliable and repeatable than electronic scales since anything digital tends to fail much quicker. Personal preference i suppose

I have had a couple of digitals over the years, and tossed them for the beam scales.
I much prefer them over a digital.
Cat