PDA

View Full Version : Who has been shot at while hunting?

xtreme hunter10
09-22-2011, 02:34 AM
I have been shot at I would say 5 times. I used to hunt a zone nick named saving private ryan. lots of elk, come the first day of rifle
season it sounds like world war 3. my hunting partner that lives in that area went out elk hunting.'we were walking down a cutline close to the tree line to a cut block when we hear the crack then the branches above us start moving as we can hear the bullet pass through them. we both look at each other then another crack! this time the bullet hits a tree truck 5ft from us we bailed onto the ground. we're looking at each other like WT?! i mouth the words hillbillies. my partner laughed. not sure why. we could hear them coming towards us we popped up both looking through the scopes, not sure why they are blindly shooting into the bush. they were about 150 yards away and heard them say " its just hunters"'and they left. We left the area and road hunted for deer, felt safer that way. Anyone else have something simular happen to them?

thunder_sticks
09-22-2011, 04:37 AM
Back in the 80's we had some guys decide to shoot at beer cans and who knows what else after their hunting was done. Same deal with shots through the trees, we moved camp ASAP.

Once the seismic lines opened up our back forty we damn sure wore our hunter orange if we were hunting. Guys would sneak i'n the back and shoot at a moving bush before they knew what it was.

ceedub
09-22-2011, 05:40 AM
If someone ever shot at me, they better make the first one count, it'll be the only one they get.....I've hunted for 35 years, never been shot at and never heard of anyone ever shot at.

Craig

xtreme hunter10
09-22-2011, 05:52 AM
If someone ever shot at me, they better make the first one count, it'll be the only one they get.....I've hunted for 35 years, never been shot at and never heard of anyone ever shot at.

Craig

ok, maybe you are taking it too literally... i have had bullets whiz by me while hunting. When i have to hit the deck i take that as being shot at lol whether they are actually targetting me i dont hang around to find out.

Dark Wing
09-22-2011, 05:58 AM
"hillbillies" LOL . I bet you were hunting a zone close to Edmonton or Calagary.

xtreme hunter10
09-22-2011, 06:19 AM
"hillbillies" LOL . I bet you were hunting a zone close to Edmonton or Calagary.

nope, in the mountains like i said.. Hillbillies... not city dwellers. these were definately hillbillies. crazy a-holes shooting at whatever moved through the bush. It was like grizzly adams and his cousin. no designer hunters with those two. Or slack jawed yokles if you prefer.

Eric hunter
09-22-2011, 06:36 AM
My wife got shot right in our back yard this summer. We were outside on our acreage gardening and hearing many detonations for an hour or more from a cross neighbour. We taught that was kids playing with crackers until my wife feel and hear a ricochet bullet. So I put the kids and wife inside and yeld to my neighbour kids to go inside right away and I drove to that place seeing in the back yard 3 men shooting the 22 in the top of a flower bed and right behind that flower bed my house was there at about 100 yards. I called the police right away and the came and took the gun and I guess those guys will be charged.
The police confirmed they were shooting the 22
Eric.

xtreme hunter10
09-22-2011, 06:42 AM
My wife got shot right in our back yard this summer. We were outside on our acreage gardening and hearing many detonations for an hour or more from a cross neighbour. We taught that was kids playing with crackers until my wife feel and hear a ricochet bullet. So I put the kids and wife inside and yeld to my neighbour kids to go inside right away and I drove to that place seeing in the back yard 3 men shooting the 22 in the top of a flower bed and right behind that flower bed my house was there at about 100 yards. I called the police right away and the came and took the gun and I guess those guys will be charged.
The police confirmed they were shooting the 22
Eric.

that makes my slack-jawed yokles look good lol atleast they were shooting into the trees lol. I hope your wife is o.k. I was out gopher hunting and my bullet must of hit a rock and just missed my head i heard the bullet flying through the air past my head. it must of been pretty close.

jednastka
09-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Three times, first one was the scariest. Went out with three close friends north of Hines Creek. Came to a crossroad of cutlines about 09:00, parked the vehicle and we each took a branch, I was bird hunting with a .22, they were all moose hunting. Agreed to meet back at the truck before dark. I was wearing blaze orange cap and jacket. About noon, I heard a shot and remember not thinking much about it. A few minutes later, my left bicep began to burn. I looked down, and the parka stuffing was exposed on my arm and turning red. I stuck my finger in, and it felt wet. I sat down, and started to shake. When I took off my jacket, I had been grazed by a rifle shot?!? Two to three inches obver, and I wouldn't be here today. When I got back to the truck that afternoon, two of the friends were back. Neither had fired a shot, and were upset that all they had seen were grouse. We thern heard a rifle shot, and a few minutes later the last guy showed up, with a grouse. He too had been so frustrated that he shot the grouse nearby. Other than that, no one had shot at anything. Never did find out who itt was.

Second time, jumping sloughs for ducks east of Bawlf. Two pairs of hunters sneaking in on opposite sides of the slough. Mallards got up, and one of the other party fired. A wierd riccochet off the water (almost a full 90 degrees) and I was peppered head to toe. I was wearing a shell vest, and #4 pellets were fully embedded in some shells. I remember popping a couple from my exposed skin like pimples. Never did that again!

Last one was a miscommunication on a sharptail hunt, and took a couple of long range pellets. By then, I was wearing shooting safety glasses, so no real potential for injury, but scary none-the-less.

Vic

gonefishin
09-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Last year during the Wainwright hunt. Me and a buddy were heading back to the truck and there was a little hill beside us and a road was just behind the hill. A truck came driving down the road stopped, and 2 mulie does came running over the hill, followed by 2 quick shots that went over our heads. The shots weren't overly close to us... but close enough to hear the cracks.

pickrel pat
09-22-2011, 11:17 AM
that makes my slack-jawed yokles look good lol atleast they were shooting into the trees lol. I hope your wife is o.k. I was out gopher hunting and my bullet must of hit a rock and just missed my head i heard the bullet flying through the air past my head. it must of been pretty close.

never seen a bullet come straight back before but guess its possible.:scared:

Nait Hadya
09-22-2011, 11:29 AM
not sure if it would be classified as shot at or perhaps in the line of fire. i have heard the bullets flying through the trees in my immedaite vicinity.some fellows were pushing bush using their rifle from 400 yards away. i just happened to be walking back to my truck on the other side of the bush. yep i hit the deck and waved my little pen light as a surrendeer flag as i only had a bow...lol

the other was a direct hit in a put and take up near edmonton. three or four gents summoned the arrival of pheasant season with a barrage of shotgun blasts. after the excitement an older gent lowered his semi and check the breech,well hell what u no, he still have a live one it the tube and i was peppered with bird shot. when i hollered who fired that shot,his buddy a very large and intimidating man said he did and started in my direction. obvious lie to protect the older gent.

Predator
09-22-2011, 11:32 AM

Wouldnt think it's common, but this makes a guy think! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn0MFqP1js0

fordtruckin
09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
I've been shot at on purpose hunting...course that was overseas lookin for Al Queda lol.

marlin1
09-22-2011, 12:07 PM
I've been shot at on purpose hunting...course that was overseas lookin for Al Queda lol.

good one , Glad they missed hope your shooting was better

pottymouth
09-22-2011, 01:17 PM
You always have to be aware of your surroundings, always when your shooting, but even if your just walking.

The hard one is when your in the bow zone and you get a couple of rifle shots wizzz near you, had that happen twice.

sheephunter
09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Holy, I'm shocked at how common this is. I got shot at once and F&W and the RCMP got involved. It was a major deal.

sco22
09-22-2011, 01:33 PM
I have been shot at once and in the crosshairs twice.

We were hunting in Ft. Assiniboine about 10 years ago. Walked way back well before sunrise and found a nice cutline. Got all settled in and actually nodded off. I awoke to a truck driving down the cutline. It drove within 5 feet of me and I couldn't believe it since he had to go through some deep stuff to get a truck that far. They couldn't make it another 100 yards past where is was sitting so they dumped their quad and got ready to drive out. This would be wihthin 15 minutes of legal hunting. I couldn't believe it. I was there for 2 hours and these yahoos came driving in and now they were quadding. As I peered around the bush I settled into, one of the fellows wheels around his rifle, scopes me and says something to his buddy. That guy does the same thing. I flattened right down and belly crawled into the bush. Within about 20 seconds one shot came through the bush. I absolutely crapped myself and could barely muster a half scream, half bawl out. They hopped on their quad and took off. It must have taken me another 30 minutes to compose myself enough to look around the giant spruce I was nestled up to. I intended to leave a note on their truck but chose to let the air out of their truck tires instead.

Two other times, over the past 5 years, people have driven right into our land through the farm gate. I like to hunt the later part of the season right at the back in some hay bales. Both times the guys hopped out of their trucks and used their guns as binos. You don't even want to move for fear.

Jack*****es. . .

Cheers.

wwbirds
09-22-2011, 01:33 PM
First time was hunting black ducks on a beaver pond in Northern Ontario and I guess a guy wanted to try to scare us out of his favoriote pot hole so let a few go in our general direction.
Second time was hunting antelope and left the truck to do a 600-800 yard stalk only to hear bulllets going over our head when we were 3-400 away from the herd. Guys had parked behind our truck and were taking shots at the herd we were stalking from the road 600-800+ yards away.
Third time my son and I had scouted a field near Buffalo for whitetails one evening with a view to catching them coming back into the river next morning. Before first light we were set up in the large collection coulee waiting when a truck chasing white tails across the field with 2 shooters in the back putting lead down the coulee in our direction.
People wonder why I try to find remote places to hunt, a few idiots out there with zero regard for safety or laws.
Another antelope hunt in 102 had us hiding on a fenceline waiting for a herd to get close enough when 2 guys opened up on them from the road in our general direction over our heads.
Far too common an occurence

dennisb
09-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Got scoped once...I thought for sure it was my brother-in-law. From 400 yards away i began yelling and i was litterally going to kick the crap out of him until he came out of the bush a few minutes later on the opposite trail. Turns out it was a different hunter. I waited for 1.5 hrs after dark at his truck and he never showed. I know he was not far watching me and to afraid to talk to me.
Honestly...cant remember the last time i was that hot.

greylynx
09-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Goose Hunting near Beaverhill Lake.

A red old dodge truck stopped on the road next to the wheat field.

We watched the window roll down and a barrel pointed out of the window.

Some idiot started shooting our decoys from the truck window.

The idiot realized they were decoys and took off.

top predator
09-22-2011, 02:06 PM
I was shot with a 22. Buddy came out from rabbit hunting in deep snow. I was on the sled waiting. He tripped, gun went off. Boom, hit me in the thumb.

Pixel Shooter
09-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Just once. West of Eckville. Had permission deer hunting right behind farmers home quarter. Sat up in a tree stand till dark. Came out on a cutline to an open field next quarter over to drag a deer out. Sat there chatting with my buddy for 5 minutes and watched a truck drive down a gravel road, lights on, it was dark, truck stopped, next thing you know is Im on the ground. The fence post I was leaning on was cut in half and I fel over hitting another log putting a nice gouge in my face, bleeding all over the place. took me a minute to figure out it was due to the fall. 1 minute later, shot again, then we can see a buck between this dumb ()#&^ truck and us, shot again, deer fell over. My buddy immediately fired right back, dead silence. not 3 minutes later two guys are walking thru the field looking for the deer, well wasnt long till we spoke words, more like a monologue. When he said sorry bud, couldnt see you guys out there I literally lost it, my buddy had to pry me off the dumb *(#$&^( when I took him to the ground.

Last words spoke was they better drag that deer out before we do, cause if we get your plate , your toast for soooooo many reasons. Never seen 2 grown men drag a deer out at Mach I, they hi-tailed it. I called the farmers house immediately to get him to get his plate numbers and got dealt with the next day. I now dont like walking out in the open fields at night, prefer to stay in the thick stuff to where it is safe. Scared the bejesus out of me

PoorTurtle
09-22-2011, 03:04 PM
When I was 10ish, my older brother and I was shooting cans with a 22. We went to reset up the cans and my 5 year old sister picked up the gun and pulled the trigger. The bullet clipped my left ear. That was the last time we played with guns when the parents were gone.

Canuk
09-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Wow turtle... that's sobering and will make you grow up in a hurry. Glad it didn't turn out worse.

Mike_W
09-22-2011, 03:41 PM
Wow supprised how common this is. how many of you called these situations in and what was the outcome?

I have been scoped ......more times than I would like to know Im sure .......most recent was the rifle opener.....I watched this yahoo walk mach 1 up a cutline only to get to about 200 yards before he seen we to which he grabs his rifle and shoulders it only to see me waving my hands and flipping the bird buddy hid in the bush for over an hour. I would have loked to chat with him....but I had an elk to kill.

Mum
09-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Not sure if they were shooting at us... but my husband and I were walking out of the bush through a field in the DARK. All of a sudden a truck stopped on the road ahead and two shots were fired. We both dropped in reaction! I assure you our flashlights went on right away... the truck took off. I always have my flashlight on after dark now.

gatorhunter
09-22-2011, 04:50 PM
I am astounded as to the apparent frequency of hits and near misses related to firearm discharge in this thread. You folks wearing brown clothes when you hunt?

I never walk in low light without a head lamp on. If I see a vehicle slow down, I'm on the ground or flashing lights at the vehicle.

Sooner
09-22-2011, 04:50 PM
I also had the Camp Wainright thing. First week of rifle season, most of the base closed. This was back when there was alot more bush and trails(10 yrs ago). First morning rush, guys driving everywhere. We parked off to the side of a trail at the base of a hill cause a buck ran across. We were going to walk after it a bit. Standing outside of my jeep all hell broke loose, somewhere above us shots were going. We could hear the bullets whizz through the tree tops. Whoever was shooting had no idea I bet we were there or knew there was a trail im sure. We said screw this and went to the annex and hunted there for the remainder of the hunt.

Arn?Narn.
09-22-2011, 05:29 PM
I have been shot at I would say 5 times. I used to hunt a zone nick named saving private ryan. lots of elk, come the first day of rifle
season it sounds like world war 3. my hunting partner that lives in that area went out elk hunting.'we were walking down a cutline close to the tree line to a cut block when we hear the crack then the branches above us start moving as we can hear the bullet pass through them. we both look at each other then another crack! this time the bullet hits a tree truck 5ft from us we bailed onto the ground. we're looking at each other like WT?! i mouth the words hillbillies. my partner laughed. not sure why. we could hear them coming towards us we popped up both looking through the scopes, not sure why they are blindly shooting into the bush. they were about 150 yards away and heard them say " its just hunters"'and they left. We left the area and road hunted for deer, felt safer that way. Anyone else have something simular happen to them?

subsonic rounds???

perhaps you were being shot at...

Dark Wing
09-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Your name wouldn't have to be Navin Johnson would it:):).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NxLtVG9_eg

mad fisher
09-22-2011, 05:40 PM
I was shot at while fly fishing.
I was out near Edson in late October. I was standing in the middle of the river when I heard a sizzle then a thud into the cliff beside me.
Realizing what just happened I hit the deck. I heard the crack of the rifle.
I swam/crawled to the bank.
A few minutes later I could hear the "shooter" say it must be up here somewhere. I saw it drop in the scope.
He came up the creek bank and was met by a head sized rock right into his chest.
He staggered back and said a few kind words. I yelled at him and said that wasn't a deer you tool. That was me!
He went white and dropped his rifle. His friend picked it up and slowly walked away leaving his friend behind to absorb what he almost did.
I always wondered what would have happened if he were a better shot.

Stonecutter
09-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Oh my god you guys! These are horrible stories! I was always taught to make damn sure that you know what you're shooting at and that it's what you intend to shoot at!

How do you guys restrain yourself from returning fire?

bb356
09-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Not really........... but the wife said if I went hunting on our silver anniversary she'd shoot me !!! :)

catnthehat
09-22-2011, 06:24 PM
I have seen it lots when people are shooting rocks and steel at close range.
Remember the video on yutube of the fool shooting the steel with the fifty and taking his ear muff off?
Cat

artie
09-22-2011, 06:53 PM
My friend shot his buddy in the head. They were out in a field in the car and my friend got out of the passengers seat and leaned his rifle on the roof of the car. He then took aim at something through the scope and shot. Because of the angle of the scope and the rifle the bullet went through the roof of the car and hit the guy driving the car in the head. Luckily the wound was not that deep but go figure.

lakerman
09-22-2011, 08:14 PM
Was out rabbit hunting and dad took one in the leg, (bloody mess), from another hunter, scared the **** outta me we rushed him to the hospital and to his luck a penny in his pocket deflected the 22 shot, another time rifle hunting we were chatting near the car and a doe crossed our path and the boys on the hill opened up, like 10 shots and we were wearing orange we did the belly crawl under the car, the deer continued into the open field going mach 1 and we emptied the clip at her, everyone missed must of sounded like a war though, boys on the hill ran for the hills...now the only hunting I do is through this forum good luck boys

BrownBear416
09-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Twice for me..

Once while calling a bull moose in and the other time was archery bear hunting.

gatorhunter
09-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Note to self! Stay the H E double hockey sticks out of Alberta during firearm seasons! This thread is INSANE!

HighWildnFree
09-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Been peppered twice on the pheasant release site at Millicent. I dont hunt release sites anymore.

ganderblaster
09-22-2011, 09:18 PM
By far the worst thread so far on this forum. This is ridiculous!

elkamaholic
09-22-2011, 09:30 PM
A group of guys that have a camp a couple miles from ours have fired shots after dark, presumably to scare us off of "their" hunting grounds...aka crown land. The last time was just a few hundred yards from our camp...found out later from another camp the guys were so drunk they could hardly stand but were out to scare off "intruders"like us. Little do they know we have an rcmp member who hunts with us some years, one day they'll make a wrong move. To this point we've chosen to not confront them at night while they've been drinking, in the daylight they always seem to have amnesia...

xxclaro
09-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Never been targeted directly, but had bullets fly close by several times. First time I had brought my wife along for her first ever deer hunt. Small patch of bush,we were parked less than 500 yards away. Deer came out on the other side of the bush and some guy started shooting from his truck at the deer. Luckily none of the bullets made it throught the tree's, but left the wife with a bad impression.
Two ther times come to mind,both times it was guys shooting at deer that I was watching from the other side. I realize things happen, but I wish guys would look a bit closer before shooting.

bushnell
09-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Have not been shot at yet, but we have lost 2 family freinds due to " hunting accidents" .They were friends of my father,and to this day he still talks about his hunting buddies.

wildcat111
09-22-2011, 10:53 PM
i got shot at twice, the first time was on the monkman ranch down by chain lakes, two hunters got bored and decided to shoot into the bush i was hiding in. they were very sorry but f&w and the police were called, the second time my son and i were hunting on crown land in 412 and this guy and his girlfriend were shooting at bottles on the marked quad trail, just missed me and my son, the crack from my 300 win mag was enough to alert them that we were there, but this didn't stop them, they just turn around and started shooting down the road instead, total meatheads, the guy was very sorry but the girl was a total bitch, couldn't understand what the big deal was. they two were reported to police and f.w.

Twisted Canuck
09-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Only once, quite a few moons ago...gopher hunting just east of Police Lake near the Montana border. Three of us, walking and shooting sod rats, we were walking up a hill and we start hearing bees buzzing overhead regular like. Then we heard the shots from the other side of the hills. Some yahoos had driven in to the private land, no permission, and started shooting. Probably four of them in the back of the truck, driver and passenger, blazing away, and shooting at some gophers silhouetted on the top of the hill we were climbing the back side of. We carefully walked around the hill, tried to approach them. One of them was walking and blazing away with a 9mm pistol (we picked up casings), when they saw us they left a rooster tail getting out of there. Kinda scarey to think of what might have happened if we had been cresting the hill when they started blasting at the skyline.....

rayf01
09-23-2011, 12:50 AM
This is a very scary thread.... I never would have thought it was that common of an occurance.

herc
09-23-2011, 01:20 AM
I've been scoped once. Walking back to my truck on a big cutline(wearing an orange hat) truck pulls up and scopes me. After waving my arms he peeled off. Never saw him after that.

Shots fired close by me. Actually was not during hunting season. Was last summer camping; random camping but a large number of campers all over the place. We saw the large convoy of teenagers pull in, few hours later .22 shots rang out and we hear them hitting the trees about 20 ft from us. Scary part was we had a number of small kids with us. Dumba**es were shooting down not just a powerline but also a quad trail AND they passed us when they were driving in. Every guy we had made our way over to their camp. About 6 of them standing there with the rifle.... "who was shooting"?... well they all pointed at somebody else. "who is the owner of the gun"? "Oh he's over there somewhere". I'm not going to type what we said or did after that... but they were quiet as a mouse the rest of the night and were gone first thing in the morning. To this day i regret not calling in the RCMP.

I see this is a common occurance and frankly its sickening.

PoorTurtle
09-23-2011, 07:40 AM
Wow turtle... that's sobering and will make you grow up in a hurry. Glad it didn't turn out worse.

Well it got worse when Dad got home and found out we were shooting his gun. Sent us out in the bush to find are own stick (if the stick brakes you had to go get another) I would rather take a bullet off the ear than that stick off my bumm.........lol

omega50
09-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Sadly Yes. Once

omega50
09-23-2011, 08:19 AM
Was hunting the Rocking P Ranch in WMU308 in the late 90's. 40 minutes before legal shooting( full moon) and I am crossing a cutline at a fence at the intersection of 2 trails trying to work my way up another 2km to the top of a ridge for 1st light.
Hear the crack as the fence post I am supporting myself on takes a round.

I hit the dirt and belly crawl to the treeline.
Load up my Browning Bar in .308 with 5 shots and let them fly back down the cutline holding high.

Hear yelling and cursing and see a flashlight bobbing about 150 yds away, I reload and run straight down the cutline for the light.
They take off and a few minutes later I see their truck( white late 80's F150) tear off down the road.

In the light of day- I acted as bad as them and it could have ended badly.
Now I never cross in the dark without my flashlight on and shining up any and all trail locations.

Spent the rest of the day looking for them- waste of a day until I head back thru Longview and see the truck parked at the bar.

Walked in and asked who owned the truck. This ***wipe says he does-who the **** wants to know.

I then asked if he was the ****er that shot at me in the dark at the Rockin P?

I could tell by their faces that it was them, but they refused to admit it.

I walked out telling them to be very careful in the bush because next time I would not be holding high.

Big Daddy Badger
09-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Never been intentionally shot at while hunting but I've had a couple of close calls. and i've been scoped lots....thats why I wear cam now.
Hopefully they won't see me at all and won't decide to get a closer look through their scope.

Ran into one "sound hunter" that put a round into a tree a eye level about 2 feet in front of me once and a couple whizz by from long range "hunters" and target shooters.

My faves decided to shoot a knot hole on a tree my truck was parked under.
To make it even worse it was on a hillside so their rounds also continued past the tree and into a well traveled valley below.

That cost em a new rifle...I stormed up snatched it off the back of their truck and tried splitting a rock with it...I also took their plate number and their beer.
That was about 30 years ago near Tata Creek in BC.

I find that the further you get away from roads... the less this happens.
I also stop and watch when ever I hear or see other hunters.
If they make me at all nervous...I vamoose

Also been shot with salt twice as a kid but...I kind of deserved that...

canadianhunter
09-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Was hunting up around manville about ten years ago. Had a truck drive by the quarter that two of us were hunting on. He fired, from the truck, four rounds over my friend's head and then another four over mine. I was sitting in a rock pile for a blind. I sure was glad to have that pile of rocks for cover.
In that same season I was hunting in another area where I had exclusive access. Sure enough I run into a guy on the land who did not have permission. After a brief discussion he goes his way and I mine. Five minutes later four shots come overhead breaking branches. I scurry behind a hill and another volley of lead goes overhead.
Besides that I have been in the crosshairs a few times. Why can't people just buy a set of binos?

Big Daddy Badger
09-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Holy, I'm shocked at how common this is. I got shot at once and F&W and the RCMP got involved. It was a major deal.

The real shocking thing is (thankfully) how often it doesn't end in tragedy.
I guess in some ways we should be grateful that these guys are also too un-professional to spend more time practicing at the range...

avb3
09-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Scoped more times then I liked, shot at once.

I was in my mid 20's and coming back to camp. It was almost dark and well past legal light, and a number of numb nuts started shooting at our camp, I suspect because they saw us moving.

Two us yelled, and they fired again (must not have heard us). It was only after we fired back into the air that they realized what they did, high tailed it to their truck and screamed out of there.

To this day I almost always wear blaze orange, because I want the idiots who are out there to recognized me as a human, not a potential critter.

I'm still frosted by those guys all those years ago.

Stinky Buffalo
09-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Been scoped once or twice, thankfully never been shot at. Very unnerving. I try to take cover when a vehicle approaches when I'm out hunting.

A former neighbour of mine was shot at several times on one occasion. Hearing his story gave me chills.

AndrewM
09-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Hearing his story gave me chills.

All of these stories give me chills! I have never been scoped or shot at before and never want to experience the feeling!

Scotty P.
09-23-2011, 03:42 PM
All of these stories give me chills! I have never been scoped or shot at before and never want to experience the feeling!

X10! This is only my 5th season ever so maybe I just haven't been out enough to have it happen to me. I'm am still very surprised how many people on here have a story about being shot at. Really makes me wonder about my answer when people ask me if I'm ever worried about being shot by another hunter. My standard reply is always "you'd have to be pretty slow to mistake a person for a game animal" but after reading this thread I'm thinking there must be more slow coaches in the field than I thought!

Big Daddy Badger
09-23-2011, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=AndrewM;1090910]All of these stories give me chills! I have never been scoped or shot at before and never want to experience the feeling![/QUOTE

It ain't fun.
My new rule is ....
I catch you intentionally scoping me...you catch a bullet.

slough shark
09-23-2011, 04:28 PM
I luckily have never been shot at however the number of times I have been scoped has been ridiculas. From reading these stories I think the next "scoper" I see I may retool their scope so it is no longer useable and report them to the police if I get the chance... tools like this have no business in the bush hunting.

Mistagin
09-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Nope, been hunting for more than 40 years.
Been scoped a few times though, that's scary enough.

Rosco300WM
09-23-2011, 04:55 PM
Holy crap, I've really got to stop following this thread. This is my 4th year hunting I never would have thought that it is this common to have bullets wiz by. I thought being scoped would be the worst that would happen but I guess there are some real tools out there.

flint guy
09-23-2011, 05:20 PM
Caught two seperate occasions guys scoping me. Been hunting and heard the bullets flying way to close from guys who dont check their backround before they fire.

to the guy who said he never heard of a ricochet coming straight back, you should spend some time on an ipsic or silhoette range. I have personally seen 3 or 4 and taken two myself. Luckily nothing heavy enough to hurt anybody.

Redfrog
09-23-2011, 05:38 PM
"My new rule is ....
I catch you intentionally scoping me...you catch a bullet."

I was getting ready to shoot a deer when I had a shot hit the ground close to me. I dropped to the ground and did a big sneak up on the shooter. I managed to get the drop on him and asked WTH was he doing. He said he thought I was scoping him. I told him I was getting ready to shoot a deer and was no where near scoping him.

He was very sorry but I went to his house and shot a hole in his picture window. Buy was I mad.:argue2:

I think he got a ticket for using a high power rifle to kill a frog. :thinking-006:

Pesky do you really have a PAL?

I have been sprayed with shot a few times in a marsh.

A group of us who were jump shooting an irrigation canal were shot at deliberately several times with a .22. That guy was charged. A teen who had just completed the hunter ed course a week before.

I was also threatened a couple times with high power rifles by my first nations brothers. It was a terrible misunderstanding that was settled with vigorous negotiations both times.

A friend was nearly killed by wearing blaze orange on a deer hunt.

Big Daddy Badger
09-23-2011, 06:12 PM
There's a difference between someone simply raising his rifle and someone tracking you with it...
Especially if you are in plain sight.

The last guy that scoped me did it when I was on a bare hillside about 400 meters from him... There was nothing else on that hill but some knee high scrub brush.

He even waved at me...when I waved at him to warn him off....thats what I mean by intentional. The guy was studying me through his scope and it was VERY obvious.
And that is why I said... intentional.
It's not like that happens every day or like I'd flip because some guy happened to pass his scope over me when he was checking a hillside out.

The other guys with one exception noted above....including the ones that shot at me...were just careless or I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time....no hard feelings.

North of Owlseye
09-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Well there was that one time I was quail hunting with DIck Cheyney. yeah, that didn't end so well.

paul savage
09-23-2011, 06:34 PM
back in the 70s my dad was shot by a friend while hunting sharptails in sask. He's 86 now and still has a chest ful of pellets as a souvenir. Thanks go to his heavy canvas jacket for slowing the lead down. The following year he was hunting ducks in a slough when an rcmp cruiser pulled up and the officer decided to do some impromtu target shooting in his direction. He came out of that one unscathed but the fur flew back at the detachment when he caught up to the guy.

KegRiver
09-23-2011, 07:11 PM
It does end in tragedy.

I know of three people who have been killed by shots fired at them by mistake, and two who were seriously wounded. All in the Peace River district.

Oddly, all the shooters in these instances, were outsiders. One was an American hunter with a guide. That guide worked for Dollard Dallaire.

I have had bullets pass very close to me on two occasions. Once down in Wetaskiwin, once at Carcajou. Both times those shots were fired by road hunters.

A very good friend took a bullet in the shoulder that was fired at a Moose by a road hunter. My friend was driving on a lease road.

Now you know why I don't hunt where others hunt. And why I hate road hunters.

Redfrog
09-23-2011, 07:39 PM
There's a difference between someone simply raising his rifle and someone tracking you with it...
Especially if you are in plain sight.

The last guy that scoped me did it when I was on a bare hillside about 400 meters from him... There was nothing else on that hill but some knee high scrub brush.

He even waved at me...when I waved at him to warn him off....thats what I mean by intentional. The guy was studying me through his scope and it was VERY obvious.
And that is why I said... intentional.
It's not like that happens every day or like I'd flip because some guy happened to pass his scope over me when he was checking a hillside out.

The other guys with one exception noted above....including the ones that shot at me...were just careless or I happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time....no hard feelings.

So which is it? Get scoped and shoot the guy, get a stray bullet through your window and go commando stealth mode or wave at the guy?

I'm worried about you.:thinking-006:

GeoTrekr
09-23-2011, 07:53 PM
The real shocking thing is (thankfully) how often it doesn't end in tragedy.
I guess in some ways we should be grateful that these guys are also too un-professional to spend more time practicing at the range...

When you're gone, it makes it hard to share your story... :thinking-006:

I can't believe in this day and age there are still so many retards out there that shoot at sounds, or in the dark, or mistaking people for animals. :scared0018:

xtreme hunter10
09-23-2011, 08:06 PM
subsonic rounds???

perhaps you were being shot at...

no, not sub sonic. hunting rifles. we were walking through the trees and we saw them coming at about 150 yrds so we stop walking just stood there. we moved a bit and they opened fire. no scopes open sights. ( i really hope they didnt have scopes... truth is i dont remember ) i believe they were poaching or killing anything that moved. I dont hunt that area anymore. too many hunters. When i say hillbillies, i mean hillbillies. like they could be father-son-brother. lol. ?? maybe...

when hunting with a lot of other hunters i can imagine bullets fly close to people but i have never seen what i experienced before. looking back on it, high tailing it outta there and not doing anything about it might of not been the best choice. but i'm still alive and thats all that really matters.
If it ever happens again. I would respond differently thats forsure.

Big Daddy Badger
09-23-2011, 09:15 PM
So which is it? Get scoped and shoot the guy, get a stray bullet through your window and go commando stealth mode or wave at the guy?

I'm worried about you.:thinking-006:
Get over it.

The other thread was sarcasm to illustrate the point that keeping firearms to defend your home is a problem that can impact on your neighbours to.
If you weren't just trolling and you had actually read my other posts in that thread it should have been obvious.

There is a big difference between a known and immediate threat and going looking for it.
A loaded gun and a guy staring through the sights at you is a threat.
If he acknowledges your presence and continues...you know it is intentional.
You want to wait to see what happens next...fine.
Me...I think I'll take my chances. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Odds are pretty good..it won't happen like that again anyway.
If you are worried so much about it...quit glassing people with your rifle and buy some bino's.

If you are just trying to get into an argument or give life to a played out thread because unlike you... I don't agree that people need to routinely carry guns to protect themselves... that is pretty lame ...go jerk your own chain...I'm not in the mood right now.

As well...it would probably be appreciated by everyone else if we returned to the OP's original question instead of turning this into an opportunity to snipe at each other like a couple of school boys.....grow up.

dickinsonpw
09-25-2011, 08:49 AM
A lot of folks could be doing time!!

from the Possession and Acquisition Licence handbook--

persons commint an offence who , without lawful excuse, points a firearm at antoher person, whether the firarm is loaded or unloaded ,and is:
1. guilty of indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 yrs or
2. guilty of an offence punishable on summaryk conviction (a fine of $2000 and / or 6 mths in jail)

Don't most hunters have binos ???? use em!!

Big Daddy Badger
09-25-2011, 09:17 AM
A lot of folks could be doing time!!

from the Possession and Acquisition Licence handbook--

persons commint an offence who , without lawful excuse, points a firearm at antoher person, whether the firarm is loaded or unloaded ,and is:
1. guilty of indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 yrs or
2. guilty of an offence punishable on summaryk conviction (a fine of $2000 and / or 6 mths in jail)

Don't most hunters have binos ???? use em!!

Yes...please!

You have to try to see it from the other guys side... he doesn't know you aren't getting ready to ventilate him...and aside from that it just isn't a safe practice... period.

A set of half decent binos is pretty cheap compared to the cost of a decent scope or the cost of pointing weapons at other people.

When I was younger and broke...I used to carry an old scope that had decent lenses but wouldn't hold a zero...
If guys can't afford binos... there are all kinds of guys that have trashed scopes kicking that they'd probably give away.

Jamie
09-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Over the years I have had shots go by close and even heard a bullet wobble over my head but by far and away the 2 I remember were these.

#1 it's -35 or so, we are sitting in a group of trees watching a nice buck come straight across the field at us, snow is up to our ass so we are waiting for this buck to get as close as possible. Buck gets to about 50 feet and we are getting ready to shoot when all of a sudden a shot goes off. It's so close that I think my partner shot and he thinks I shot. Buck is just standing there wondering what is going on and then the artillery starts coming in. We didnít know where the shots were coming from. Finally after 4 rapid fire shots and us digging out from under the snow I managed to yell out we were there. Turns out another hunter had snuck in behind us and slightly to our left, by my best guess, the shots were coming about 20 feet to left and angling in front of us. That poor hunter had no clue we were there. As a added bonus, that hunter turned out to be a she. And what a "SHE" she was. I swear to god she stepped right out of the Miss Canada contest. We put the deer down for her and then helped load it. Funny thing was, neither of us were ****ed after seeing what she looked like. LOLOLOLOLOL

#2 same general area 3 years later. This one ticked me off a bit. We walk back into to a buried field about 2.5 miles, tall thick crop and get there before sun up. I can hear a quad making it's way towards us through a adjacent piece of crown land. I know it's getting close but seems to be a few hundred yards back into the bush. Anyhow I start to scan the tree line out in front of me all the while sitting in the crop. I notice to see a nice BB about 50 yards away, decide not to take it but am watching it through my binos. 2 things happened right then, I saw the shot hit and I heard a thunderous crack. Then the 3rd thing happened.. I messed myself a bit. I donít think I have ever been that low to the ground so quick in my entire life. I yelled out "Hunter out here" he stammered a apology and fired up his quad and took off. Once again, this shot would have passed slightly over my head and a bit off to my right.
WOW!!!
Looked for the bear, couldnít find it, told the owner to watch out with his combine and shook for the rest of the day.

Both of these times I donít believe either hunter was being irresponsible with their guns, it just goes to show you never know who is around. 2nd guy was a clown and ran away because he knew he was in the wrong, but why leave the bear? Perhaps it has something to do with shooting them like rats up there.

Jamie

ruttnbuckcojack
09-25-2011, 10:04 AM
This is exactly the kinda thing our lovely gun activists love to read and use against gun lovers, WOW !!!!!!:snapoutofit:

elkamaholic
09-25-2011, 08:14 PM
This is exactly the kinda thing our lovely gun activists love to read and use against gun lovers, WOW !!!!!!:snapoutofit:

Good point, not much good can come from this thread. Those people who make shots without verifying there target/shoot from the road/shoot after dark, etc., likely can't read either so not going to learn from these horror stories.

Someone should delete this thread.