PDA

View Full Version : Crimped bullets/hot bbl's

ChubbS
09-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Before i go and try, do you think i could get away with seating already crimped bullets further down? They were crimped with a lee factory crimp die.

I loaded a bunch of shells up for the old mans 300 ultra and used a slightly longer oal than the book said to use, and they didnt group too well.

also wondering how many of you have a rifles that shot great with a cold bbl and once there are 2-3 shells down the pipe the accuracy tapers off real fast? im talking like a 6 inch 5 shot group at 100. (rifle is a 300 rum in a remington 700)

Lonnie
09-22-2011, 05:26 PM
had a 270win like that 2 shots and the barrel was super hot and had to wieght 15 to 20 min. to cool down and it was back on target. but a bad scope can do this as well from recoil. will shake them and take awhile for a lens to settle back into place. most of the time its the scope but not always.

ChubbS
09-22-2011, 05:28 PM
could be the scope i guess, its a 4.5-14x50 mm leupold vx-3.

elkhunter11
09-22-2011, 05:34 PM
I never fired more that three shots out of my 300RUM rifles before letting the barrel cool, even though the barrel was a heavier contour than normal. Overheating the barrel is a sure way to greatly reduce the barrel life, especially with a cartridge like the 300RUM.

I would not suspect the scope at all,if the first shot with a cold bore is consistent.

Lonnie
09-22-2011, 07:23 PM
I never fired more that three shots out of my 300RUM rifles before letting the barrel cool, even though the barrel was a heavier contour than normal. Overheating the barrel is a sure way to greatly reduce the barrel life, especially with a cartridge like the 300RUM.

I would not suspect the scope at all,if the first shot with a cold bore is consistent.

those were exactly my thoughts until there was nothing left except to change scopes and it realy improved the accuracy but I worked every thing over on that rifle for 2 seasons before I changed scopes.

elkhunter11
09-22-2011, 07:55 PM
those were exactly my thoughts until there was nothing left except to change scopes and it realy improved the accuracy but I worked every thing over on that rifle for 2 seasons before I changed scopes.

A defective scope won't care if the barrel is hot or if it is cold. If the problem only surfaces with a hot barrel, I wouldn't suspect the scope.

Lonnie
09-22-2011, 08:18 PM
A defective scope won't care if the barrel is hot or if it is cold. If the problem only surfaces with a hot barrel, I wouldn't suspect the scope.

no I didn't either as my shots always tracked to the left and hight and more space inccreasing the hotter it got. I figured it had to be a pressure point in the bedding that was increasing pressure with heat build up. ended up free floating the barrel did not help. and the guy that told me it was the scope shortly after I got the gun I figured had to be nuts as the scope seemed perfect. a cheap bushnell.

bubba300
09-22-2011, 09:18 PM
I find that my 300 rum BDL shoots better with a cool barrel. I tried the Lee factory crimp die to and found my bullets shot better just seating them.
I shoot 200gr. accubonds with 82.5 grs of H4831sc with a COL of3.665
It shoots 1 inch groups pretty consistantly at 100 yards.
I have tried quite a few combinations of bullets (speer,hornady,barnes) and it seams to really like the accubonds.It shoots the 150 accubonds decently to.
As for trying to seat your bullets more after they have bin crimped,I'm not to sure about that. Good luck.

260 Rem
09-22-2011, 09:25 PM
I would not try to reseat crimped bullets as the crimp will likely "scrape" the copper which will not have a positive effect on accuracy.
No rifle should open up 4" after only a few shots. Best guess would be pressure on the barrel or poor action bedding. If it is "heat" related, then it could be stress in the barrel metal. And, with a 300 RUM...anticipating the recoil could be a factor.

elkhunter11
09-22-2011, 09:33 PM
I tried the Lee factory crimp die to and found my bullets shot better just seating them.

I never crimped any of my 300RUM loads.

gitrdun
09-23-2011, 08:12 AM
Don't reseat an already crimped round. If you haven't crimped into a cannelure, they should pull but probably with a bit more upstroke force than normal.

ChubbS
09-23-2011, 08:47 AM
with crimped bullets, will they be re-usable if i pull them? also collet press style puller or the hammer style?

ChubbS
09-23-2011, 08:54 AM
And, with a 300 RUM...anticipating the recoil could be a factor.

Lol thats what i told the old man too...until i shot it to the same effect as he did.

also we shooting it out of a rest ( http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/range-accessories/gun-rests/shoulder-gard-rifle-rest/prod229496.html ) should i try sandbags? goin out to the cabin this weeend, hopefully we'll get a chance to shoot, im gonna suggest 10 mins between shots and see how it groups then...ill let you guys know.

gitrdun
09-23-2011, 10:17 AM
with crimped bullets, will they be re-usable if i pull them? also collet press style puller or the hammer style?

The nice thing about the Lee factory crimp die is that they don't "roll" crimp such as what you would do if you were using a seating die to crimp. Basically, they squeeze the neck on the bullet without crimping the edge into the bullet. I have pulled Lee crimped bullets and re-used them without problem. As far as pulling, I use the collet style puller as I don't have the hammer style. I'm not sure as to how effective the hammer style would be as there obviously is more neck tension than on a normally seated uncrimped neck. The only calibers that I crimped are .444 Marlin (a must), .338WM and .375 H&H

260 Rem
09-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Lol thats what i told the old man too...until i shot it to the same effect as he did.

also we shooting it out of a rest ( http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/range-accessories/gun-rests/shoulder-gard-rifle-rest/prod229496.html ) should i try sandbags? goin out to the cabin this weeend, hopefully we'll get a chance to shoot, im gonna suggest 10 mins between shots and see how it groups then...ill let you guys know.

I personally do not have much confidence in the plastic "rests"...Pretty tough to beat the steady and repeatability that a decent front rest (like "the Rock") and a back rabbit ear bag filled with sand will produce. I recommend the "rabbit" (longer ears) over the "bunny" (short ears).