PDA

View Full Version : New rifle for the girlfriend.

elko_blues
09-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Looking at getting my girlfriend a rifle. She's shot my 30'06 and it thumps a bit for her but probably just her inexperince in shooting. I was thinking along the lines of a 25-06 7mm-08 or maybe a 257 wby or a 270? Any suggestions would be great!

PS. Plan on being a go to rifle for her. Deer to bear, sheep to elk.

Thanks guys.

Stewie
09-23-2011, 11:14 AM
Picked up the lady a Tika T3 .270 WSM for her 30th birthday… added a Limb Saver recoil pad and she loves it… and shots very well with it…

If she is worried about the kick maybe took at the managed recoil bullets as an option…

gitrdun
09-23-2011, 11:51 AM
I've seen a .257WB shoot, those things bark. A .270 is not that much of a decrease in recoil from the '06 really. I'd say go 7-08, mild, inherently accurate, and quite capable to effectively knock down anything your girlfriend points at.

Dr. Phil A
09-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Depends on what you think is a fair trade (gun for GF)

But seriously,

7mm-08 is a very nice caliber.

Do you have anyone around that has a couple different calibers that she can try?

rottie
09-23-2011, 12:19 PM
25 06,low recoil,flat shooting and good for just about anything in Alberta.
I have two of them, love em both, my son started off with a Remm 700 in 25 06 at age 12.the recoil was not an issue at all

Rockymtnx
09-23-2011, 12:49 PM
A .25-06 or 7mm-08 are pretty tough to beat cartridges.
Both are low recoiling, cheap to shoot, and with the 7mm-08 you can take down a variety of game.

Jamie Black R/T
09-23-2011, 01:39 PM
with the 7mm-08 you can take down a variety of game.

same should be said of the 25-06

i would put a WELL PLACED and constructed bullet from a 25-06 up against even moose and elk without hesitation.

not to downplay the 7mm-08 at all....also a fantastic cartridge

rottie
09-23-2011, 01:46 PM

i would put a WELL PLACED and constructed bullet from a 25-06 up against even moose and elk without hesitation.

x2 I have used the 25 06 on moose,a buddy uses his on elk,as well his son shot a black bear using the 25 06. Shooting a good 120 grain bullet its all a person really needs

bowhunter9841
09-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Well seems how nobody else seems to like em, I have to throw a plug out for a .308! Very versatile in my opinion, and the ballistics are damn near identical to a 30-06! Nice light recoil, cheap ammo and VERY easy to find ammo for it! I love mine!

Rockymtnx
09-23-2011, 03:18 PM

The only reason I like the 7mm-08 a little better as a all around cartridge is the possibility to shoot a little heavier bullet. For a deer gun the 25-06 with a 120gr bullet you have a wicked gun. In the case of shooting a bear or a moose the 140gr bullet in 7mm-08 would be a little better. Just my 2 cents though....

rottie
09-23-2011, 03:25 PM
I have a 7 x 57 which is very similiar to the 7 08, none of the game animals I have killed with either one have known the difference. With a 120 grain bullet at
3100 fps in a 25 06 your not far behind the .270

All will kill,we just have to do our part and shoot straight

TUFFBUFF
09-23-2011, 03:27 PM
260 Remington!

Bought 1 for my wife this spring, she fired 6 shots last weekend - 2 @ 50yrds at a target then popped 10-12 inch ballons at 100,200,300 and 400 yards - 1 after the other without missing!!
257 roberts is another vote.

Ice Fishing Maniac
09-23-2011, 03:41 PM
The only reason I like the 7mm-08 a little better as a all around cartridge is the possibility to shoot a little heavier bullet. For a deer gun the 25-06 with a 120gr bullet you have a wicked gun. In the case of shooting a bear or a moose the 140gr bullet in 7mm-08 would be a little better. Just my 2 cents though....

x2

A Remington model 7 might be a good fit as the model 7 has a shorter LOP.

My wife shoots a Tikka T3 LS 270WSM with 140gr Accubonds....elk, moose, bears, deer NO PROBLEMS!!

lone wolf
09-23-2011, 03:57 PM

I have shot one for quite a number of years now, and it will be my "go to" gun for the kids when they move up from the .22s. Easy on the shoulder, very accurate and with a 140 grain controlled expansion bullet plenty of gun for elk/bear/moose.

Jamie Black R/T
09-23-2011, 04:04 PM

oh for sure....i wasnt really disagreeing with you :)

the 7-08 covers the heavier bullets but there are some fantastic loads available for the 25 in the varmint speedster category...both are versatile and good choices....my 2 cents

Big Daddy Badger
09-23-2011, 04:10 PM
My wife has shot everrything up to 375 H&H.
Recoil is as much about technique as anything.
However, she also has problems with her hands now so we had to drop from 257 Wby to something lighter for her.

We picked up a Marlin XL7 in 7mm-08 and I think it might be the best money for quality purchase I have made in the last few years.

The darn thing is light, MOA to at least 200 meters and easy on the shoulder... makes a nice big hole and was very reasonably priced. The action was smooth from the get go and the stock is sturdy but has a narrow neck that fits a smaller hand well.
I'd buy another one for a kid or a lighter framed person in a heart beat.

Dr. Phil A
09-23-2011, 04:28 PM
the 7-08 covers the heavier bullets but there are some fantastic loads available for the 25 in the varmint speedster category...both are versatile and good choices....my 2 cents[/QUOTE]

I found some Speer 100 gr HP in .284 and reloaded a few in 7 08 and they are very neat varmint load. They are very good out of my 7mmRM to.

densa44
09-23-2011, 05:48 PM
If the 06 is out, consider the swede. My family have 3 of them and they all shoot them and they do just fine.

cowboyhunter
09-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Looking at getting my girlfriend a rifle. She's shot my 30'06 and it thumps a bit for her but probably just her inexperince in shooting. I was thinking along the lines of a 25-06 7mm-08 or maybe a 257 wby or a 270? Any suggestions would be great!

PS. Plan on being a go to rifle for her. Deer to bear, sheep to elk.

Thanks guys.

Canadian Cabelas flyer has some awesome deals on savage guns , and also some other makes. Just bought my wife a new 25-06 and am extremely happy with it. Great deal on a very light gun!

Pioneer2
09-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Unless you need an excuse to buy another gun make up some 30-06 reduced loads for her.Or WSS Calgary has a sale on Vanguards right now .257 Weatherby................Harold

Big Daddy Badger
09-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Unless you need an excuse to buy another gun make up some 30-06 reduced loads for her.Or WSS Calgary has a sale on Vanguards right now .257 Weatherby................Harold

Good point...cheaper than buying a new gun even if yiu are buying the reduced recoil rounds and not rolling your own.

fordtruckin
09-23-2011, 06:37 PM
A .25-06 or 7mm-08 are pretty tough to beat cartridges.
Both are low recoiling, cheap to shoot, and with the 7mm-08 you can take down a variety of game.

7mm-08 cheap to shoot?? Please tell me where your finding ammo!!!

If the 06 is out, consider the swede. My family have 3 of them and they all shoot them and they do just fine.

I agree with the 6.5 x 55 sweed. Light recoil, heavier bullets and good downrange performance! People in Europe commonly take moose with it and they just flop down dead!

I wouldn't be opposed to the 7mm-08 .260 rem 6.5x55 sweed if I was buying a rifle for my wife. As for rifle it self, depending upon how much she is going to use it I would go with a Savage or Tikka T3 or Thompson Venture or a Weatherby Vanguard.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting!

harv3589
09-23-2011, 07:35 PM
I went thru the same situation a couple of years ago with my girlfriend. I decided on a 25-06 in a Sako 85 and she loves it. I would not even hestitate to have her shoot a moose or an elk with it. she is a fantastic shot, probably better than me (but dont tell her). she is 5'3" and only 120lbs so tiny and the rifle works great.

Rockymtnx
09-23-2011, 10:47 PM
7mm-08 cheap to shoot?? Please tell me where your finding ammo!!!
I consider it a lot cheaper to shoot than the other rifles that end up on my shooting bench.... .300 Wby, .257Wby, .270 WSM, .375H&H

Lefty
09-23-2011, 11:05 PM
My better half has a 7-08 in a weather warrior (new this spring) and just loves it. Did a great job on an elk for her this fall. The 308 is another great cartridge and is cheaper to buy ammo for off the shelves. Plus they have reduced loads that are easy to find it seems. I have a remington 25-06 with a custom 26" heavy barrel and the new shooters that have tried it found they didn't like the recoil. Not all of them shot the 308 or 708, to compare, but I haven't heard one say the recoil seemd like a lot. I've hunted with the 25-06 for 30 years and have shot out barrels a couple times on it. Really enjoy the cartridge. However in my opinion the 708 and 308 are more suitable for hunting elk and moose with the heavier bullets.

saskbooknut
09-24-2011, 06:54 AM
Educate the lady on the choices possible.
Beg and borrow rifles for her to try.
Let her make her own choice in the end, she'll be happier, and so will you.
My wife bought a new 7x57 Ruger tang safety (yeah, I know, that's years ago), shot it for a year with a shortened stock.
Commissioned a custom stock the following year, with lightened barrel shortened to 20 inches, checkered bolt handle, Jerry Fisher fleur de lis checkering.
It is really "her" rifle.

Carson13
09-24-2011, 08:14 AM
"New rifle for the girlfriend." sounds like a great deal who's offering that, do they have any more rifles?

:)

Frenchy 72
09-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Oh you sandbaggin son of a gun! I guess we could use her to help us pack a sheep out anyway. HA

But my vote is that you get a .257 WBY in a vanguard sub MOA, put a 3-9X50 redfield on it and Ill get something in .25-06 and then when the ladie folk arent using them, we can make the coyotes pay for what theyve done. Deal?

YEAH BUDDY

elkhunter11
09-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Another vote for the 7mm-08, light recoil, cheap to load for, and good performance on any big game animal in Alberta.

KN12313
09-29-2011, 04:24 PM
Everyone is talking about calibers great, but If you don't mind the extra noise, you can put a barrel brake on the rifle. My 15 year old son who is have in a had time wieghting 100 lbs soaking wet with boots on. Shoots my 300 WBY with 200 grain bullets that are hand loads with no problem at all, but it has a barrel brake. ($150ish) by any gunsmith

Jamie Black R/T
09-29-2011, 04:36 PM
Everyone is talking about calibers great, but If you don't mind the extra noise, you can put a barrel brake on the rifle. My 15 year old son who is have in a had time wieghting 100 lbs soaking wet with boots on. Shoots my 300 WBY with 200 grain bullets that are hand loads with no problem at all, but it has a barrel brake. ($150ish) by any gunsmith

a MUZZLE brake is a horrible thing to hunt with....ive outright refused to take guys unless they leave their braked rifles at home in the safe where they belong

ask your son how he likes shooting that gun in ten years...you will have to speak up! LOL

normanrd
09-29-2011, 10:10 PM
Well seems how nobody else seems to like em, I have to throw a plug out for a .308! Very versatile in my opinion, and the ballistics are damn near identical to a 30-06! Nice light recoil, cheap ammo and VERY easy to find ammo for it! I love mine!

I'm with you, a 308 would work really good, especially if a 30-06 is giving her a thumping.

twofifty
09-29-2011, 11:03 PM
If a 30-06 gives her a thumping, a 308 will too. Just like the 270 as gitrdun said earlier.

Why is it that so many guys feel that their GF/wife/teen novice need to be overgunned is beyond me.

Lonnie
09-30-2011, 04:55 AM
If a 30-06 gives her a thumping, a 308 will too. Just like the 270 as gitrdun said earlier.

Why is it that so many guys feel that their GF/wife/teen novice need to be overgunned is beyond me.

none of these shuold give her a thumping, suonds like the gun is not fitting her. granted that 30-06 is at the top end before going magnum for recoil ,all of the recommened cartridges will kick hard if the gun is not fitting the
shooter.

keep in mind what fits you porbably does not fit her, guns are like shoes diffent sizes diffrent shapes. and hard to fine some thing that fits realy good.

babycuddles
10-09-2011, 09:12 AM
300 win mag for black bear in wrong spot will **** him off ! 257 roberts in right spot will put him to sleep ! nice gun!shoots flat !low recoil !

duffy4
10-09-2011, 11:03 AM
My wife hunts with a 7X57 an Interterms markX.

My daughter started out with a Rem. 788 in .243 and has now stepped up to a Win. 70 Featherweight in 6.5 X 55.

If finding ammo more commonly is a factor 7mm08 may be a great choice.

I have always thought a Rem. model 7 in .300 savage would be a handy low recoil "all-rounder"

j3006
10-09-2011, 02:37 PM
25-06 and 7mm-08 are great. never owned a 25-06 though but have had a 7mm-08 and 30-06. both will do the job just fine.

Ever thought of a 6.5X55 Switish? A good hunting buddy of mine had one and killed deer and bear with it with ease. Very light recoil and it was a great shooter.

just another option for you.

But I like the 7mm-08. It is a great little short action caliber.

Cheers.

fordtruckin
10-09-2011, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=Rockymtnx;1091341]I consider it a lot cheaper to shoot than the other rifles that end up on my shooting bench.... .300 Wby, .257Wby, .270 WSM, .375H&H[/QUOTE

when you put it up against those calibers Yes I agree. I thought you were saying in compairison to your .270 .308 .3006 .300 win mag . 7mm mag ect...

Dusty Rhodes
10-09-2011, 06:47 PM
It seems that this thread is basically addressing the problem of recoil, so.. .
(I didn't write this, just passing it along).

Recoil
Recoil is generally expressed as "free recoil" and measured in foot-pounds of energy. Free recoil means that the rifle is allowed to move backward unrestrained after being fired. If your shoulder restrains the rifle's rearward motion, then your shoulder must absorb the energy generated by the recoiling rifle.

Recoil is measured in something called a recoil pendulum, or calculated by mathematical formula based on Newton's physical law that says for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. MV = MV (mass times velocity equals mass times velocity), the momentum must be equal on both sides of the equation. Newton's law explains why rocket motors are able to propel the space shuttle into orbit, and why guns kick.

The principle factors that must be considered to calculate recoil are bullet weight (mass), bullet velocity, powder charge, and rifle weight (mass). The mass times the velocity of everything ejected from the muzzle of a rifle (principally the bullet and powder gases) will be equaled by the mass times the velocity of the recoiling rifle.

The majority of authorities seem to agree that recoil of over 20 ft. lbs. will cause the average shooter to develop a flinch, which is ruinous to accuracy. I estimate that about 15 ft. lbs. of recoil energy represents upper limit of the average shooter's comfort level. Above that recoil becomes increasingly intrusive. The effects of recoil are cumulative. The longer you shoot, and the harder a rifle kicks, the more unpleasant shooting becomes and the more likely you are to jerk the trigger or flinch.

The free recoil velocity is how fast the gun comes back at the shooter. The faster a gun comes back at you the more it hurts. This is because your body has less time to give with the recoil. You have probably heard about the "long, slow push" touted by some big bore fans as opposed to the "sharp rap" supposedly delivered by high velocity cartridges. Recoil velocity is a real, measurable effect. But the "long slow push" appears to be a myth. Both my own personal experiences with a reasonable range of rifle calibers from .22 LR to .458 Win. Mag. and a quick perusal of the "Rifle Recoil Table" will show that the recoil velocity tends to increase as the recoil energy increases. The following examples of recoil energy and velocity are all measured in 8 pound rifles. (Caliber [bullet weight, muzzle velocity] = free recoil energy & free recoil velocity.)

This is all well and good for theoretical models, but in reality the shooter's perception of recoil is influenced by the free recoil energy and the free recoil velocity his or her body must absorb and the shooter's pain threshold plus other factors. Some of these include stock fit, the size and shape and consistency of the rifle's recoil pad or butt plate, muzzle brake (if any), and even action type in the case of a gas operated autoloader. Muzzle blast subjectively seems to increase recoil, although it has no actual bearing on the free recoil. If the shooter is only wearing a light shirt the kick will feel worse than if he is wearing a heavy jacket or padded shooting vest.

Some of the factors that influence subjective recoil can be controlled. Wear a padded shooting vest at the range, and always wear ear protection when shooting. Have your rifles fitted with efficient recoil pads if they were not supplied that way by the manufacturer.

When shooting, pull the rifle firmly against your shoulder. Do not let it get a running start at you. Severe bruising or even a broken collar bone can result from holding a hard kicking rifle (especially something like a .375 or .458 Magnum) away from your shoulder.

Keep range sessions with powerful rifles short. Fire a group and then give yourself a break. When testing a powerful rifle I like to alternate between it and a mild kicking rifle (like a .243). I shoot a group with one rifle, then a group with the other. I seldom shoot more than one box of (20) cartridges through a hard kicking rifle during one range session, and half a box is better.

There are devices that can be added to rifles to reduce recoil. Muzzle brakes are one such accessory, and they come standard on some hard kicking rifles. They reduce recoil by redirecting the escaping powder gas to the side and rearward. Everything that leaves the barrel adds to the recoil, which in the case of a rifle is the bullet and the gases that propel it down the barrel. (A sabot, should one be used, also adds to the recoil.) The jet effect of the escaping powder gases makes up about 25% to 50% of the total recoil of a modern rifle. An efficient muzzle brake can reduce the actual recoil by about 20% in some cases (the figures vary widely).

The dark side of muzzle brakes is that they dramatically increase muzzle blast. In fact, with every shot they typically cause permanent hearing loss even if the shooter is wearing normal ear protection. The effect on unprotected bystanders is even worse. For this reason muzzle brakes are not appropriate for most hunting rifles and most hunting conditions. Many guides and outfitters will not permit a sport to use a rifle equipped with a muzzle brake. Some African countries prohibit their use by law.

Another recoil control device is the mercury filled or weight and spring loaded anti-recoil tube. These devices are usually mounted in the butt-stock of a rifle or shotgun and help to reduce perceived recoil in two ways. First, they add weight, which actually reduces recoil. (The same benefit can be achieved by packing the butt with lead shot.) And second, the mercury or the spring loaded weight in the tube (depending on the type of tube installed) moves forward under recoil as your body is driven back, temporarily storing some recoil energy. As your body begins to recover from the rifle's recoil by moving forward again, the mercury or weight is moved back to its starting position, dissipating the stored energy. The net recoil energy is the same, but its peak amplitude is lower and its duration is longer. The subjective result is perhaps a 20% reduction in recoil.

Gas operated semi-automatic rifles also reduce perceived recoil by spreading it over a longer period of time. Rifles like the Browning BAR and Remington 7400 are an excellent choice in powerful calibers and for recoil sensitive shooters. The Remington is available in standard calibers up to .30-06; the Browning is also available in standard calibers, and adds 7mm Magnum, .300 Magnum and .338 Magnum to the list.

Always take pains to see that any new rifle has a stock that fits you. A length of pull that is too short; a small or hooked ("rifle") butt-plate; excessive drop at comb and heel; or a comb that it too high, particularly if it is also thin, can all be poison. A swell example of a very poorly designed rifle stock (from the standpoint of efficiently minimizing recoil) is the famous flintlock "Kentucky" rifle. These traditional stocks incorporated most of the negative features mentioned above. Obviously, these stocks were not designed for powerful rifles!

The modern classic stock, which features a nearly level comb designed to transmit recoil in a straight line to your shoulder and minimize muzzle jump, tends to keep the comb from rapping the shooter's cheek bone. The Weatherby magnum stock uses a Monte Carlo comb with a cheek-piece that slants down from back to front (rather than down from front to back like a Kentucky rifle) to move the comb away from the shooter's face during recoil. Both of these designs handle heavy recoil pretty well.

Rifles in calibers that generate heavy recoil, from about .375 H&H on up, should have their forward sling swivel mounted below the barrel, forward of the forearm. This is done to protect the shooter's fingers. With really hard kicking rifles the forward sling swivel, if mounted to the forearm, can injure the hand when the rifle slams back.

Thumbhole stocks should be avoided on hard kicking rifles. The recoil of a powerful big bore rifle exceeds the strength of the thumb joint; firing such rifles can hyper-extend, dislocate, or even break the thumb.

A special stock designed specifically to minimize the effect of recoil is the A-Square Coil Chek. This stock was designed as a cooperative effort between a weapons system engineer, an orthopedic surgeon, a muscle internist, and an anthropologist specifically for rifles chambered for magnum and powerful, big bore (over .40 caliber) cartridges.

It features an exceptionally wide butt pad that distributes recoil over a large area and helps to support the rotator cuff muscle. The Coil Chek stock also incorporates a specially shaped pistol grip that helps the shooter's master hand to retain a secure grip on the stock during recoil; this allows the right arm to absorb some of the recoil energy. The comb of this stock is designed to fully support the shooter's face and retain it in the same location on the stock during recoil to prevent violent snapping of the head and neck, minimizing the possibility of headache, whiplash, neck injury, or retinal separation. The forearm of the Coil Chek stock is designed so that the thumb and fingers of the shooter's hand do not slip or lose their grip during recoil, thus also helping to absorb and control recoil. This stock is said to reduce perceived recoil by up to 50%.

Whatever the approach, recoil is an unavoidable by-product of shooting and must be managed. Proper bullet placement is the principle factor in killing power, and consistent bullet placement is not possible if the shooter jerks the trigger or flinches because of his or her rifle's recoil. The best advice I can give is to select a rifle in a caliber that is within your basic recoil tolerance, and then further reduce the subjective effect of its recoil by all the appropriate means possible.

* 6mm Rem. (100 grain, MV 3100 fps) = 10.0 ft. lbs. & 9.0 fps
* .270 Win. (140 grain, MV 3000 fps) = 17.1 ft. lbs. & 11.7 fps
* .30-06 (180 grain, MV 2700 fps) = 20.3 ft. lbs. & 12.8 fps
* .35 Whelen (250 grain, MV 2400 fps) = 26.1 ft. lbs. & 14.5 fps
* .450 Marlin (350 grain, MV 2100 fps) = 35.7 ft. lbs. & 17.0 fps
* .458 Win. Mag. (500 grain, MV 2050 fps) = 68.9 ft. lbs. & 23.5 fps

In the typical examples above, as the bullet weight goes up the muzzle velocity (MV) goes down; but the recoil energy and recoil velocity both continue to go up. The heavy bullets at relatively low velocity do not deliver a "long slow push," they deliver a progressively harder and faster blow to the shooter. Note that the high velocity .270 with its 140 grain bullet has a recoil velocity of only 11.7 fps, while the relatively low velocity .450 Marlin with its 350 grain bullet at 2100 fps has a recoil velocity of 17 fps!

Rifle weight plays an important role in determining the amount of recoil delivered to the shooter's shoulder. For any given caliber and load, a lighter rifle kicks more than a heavier rifle. Which is why I avoid ultra-light hunting rifles. Here are a couple of examples showing the effect rifle weight has on recoil energy and velocity when shooting the exact same load.

* .300 WSM (180 grain, MV 2950 fps), 6.5 lb. rifle = 30.8 ft. lbs. / 17.5 fps
* .300 WSM (180 grain, MV 2950 fps), 8.5 lb. rifle = 23.6 ft. lbs. / 13.4 fps

* .45-70 (300 grain, MV 1900 fps), 7.0 lb. rifle = 26.6 ft. lbs. / 15.6 fps
* .45-70 (300 grain, MV 1900 fps), 8.5 lb. rifle = 21.9 ft. lbs. / 12.9 fps

Cartridge (Wb@MV) Rifle Weight Recoil energy Recoil velocity
.17 HMR (17 at 2550) 7.5 0.2 n/a
.17 Rem. (25 at 4000) 8.5 1.6 3.5
.204 Ruger (33 at 4225) 8.5 2.6 4.4
.218 Bee (45 at 2800) 8.5 1.3 3.1
.22 LR (40 at 1165) 4.0 0.2 n/a
.22 WMR (40 at 1910) 6.75 0.4 n/a
.22 Hornet (45 at 2800) 7.5 1.3 3.3
.22 PPC (52 at 3300) 8.5 3.0 4.8
.221 Fireball (50 at 3000) 8.5 1.8 3.7
.222 Rem. (50 at 3200) 7.5 3.0 5.1
.223 Rem. (45 at 3500) 8.5 2.6 4.5
.223 Rem. (55 at 3200) 8.0 3.2 5.1
.223 Rem. (62 at 3025) 7.0 3.9 6.0
.22-250 Rem. (55 at 3600) 8.5 4.7 6.0
.22-250 Rem. (60 at 3500) 12.5 3.1 4.0
.220 Swift (50 at 3900) 10.5 3.7 4.8
.220 Swift (55 at 3800) 8.5 5.3 6.4
.223 WSSM (55 at 3850) 7.5 6.4 7.4
6mm PPC (85 at 2800) 7.5 5.3 n/a
.243 Win. (75 at 3400) 8.5 7.2 7.4
.243 Win. (95 at 3100) 7.25 11.0 9.9
.243 Win. (100 at 2960) 7.5 8.8 8.7
6mm Rem. (100 at 3100) 8.0 10.0 9.0
.243 WSSM (100 at 3100) 7.5 10.1 9.3
.240 Wby. Mag. (100 at 3406) 8.0 17.9 n/a
.25-20 Win. (86 at 1460) 6.5 1.3 3.5
.25-35 Win. (117 at 2230) 6.5 7.0 8.3
.250 Savage (100 at 2900) 7.5 7.8 8.2
.257 Roberts (100 at 3000) 7.5 9.3 8.9
.257 Roberts (120 at 2800) 8.0 10.7 9.3
.25 WSSM (120 at 2990) 7.25 13.8 11.1
.25-06 Rem. (100 at 3230) 8.0 11.0 9.4
.25-06 Rem. (120 at 3000) 8.0 12.5 10.0
.257 Wby. Mag. (100 at 3602) 9.25 15.8 10.5
.257 Wby. Mag. (115 at 3433) 9.25 17.7 11.1
.257 Wby. Mag. (120 at 3300) 9.25 15.1 10.3
6.5mm Grendel (120 at 2600) 7.5 8.9 8.8
6.5x55 Swede (129 at 2700) 8.0 12.5 10.0
6.5x55 Swede (140 at 2650) 9.0 10.6 8.7
.260 Rem. (120 at 2860) 7.5 13.0 10.6
.260 Rem. (140 at 2750) 8.25 11.9 9.7
6.5mm-284 Norma (140 at 2920) 8.0 14.7 10.9
6.5mm Rem. Mag. (120 at 3100) 8.0 13.1 10.3
6.5mm Rem. Mag. (140 at 2900) 8.5 13.9 10.3
6.5x68 S (140 at 2990) 8.5 16.8 11.3
.264 Win. Mag. (140 at 3200) 8.5 19.2 12.1
6.8mm Rem. SPC (115 at 2625) 7.5 8.0 8.3
.270 Win. (130 at 3140) 8.0 16.5 n/a
.270 Win. (140 at 3000) 8.0 17.1 11.7
.270 Win. (150 at 2900) 8.0 17.0 11.7
.270 WSM (130 at 3275) 8.0 18.7 12.3
.270 WSM (150 at 3000) 8.0 18.9 12.3
.270 Wby. Mag. (130 at 3375) 9.0 21.0 12.3
.270 Wby. Mag. (150 at 3000) 9.25 17.8 11.1
7-30 Waters (120 at 2700) 7.0 10.0 9.6
7x57 Mauser (139 at 2700) 8.75 11.7 9.3
7x57 Mauser (145 at 2725) 8.5 13.0 9.9
7x57 Mauser (160 at 2600) 8.0 14.3 n/a
7x57 Mauser (175 at 2500) 8.0 15.5 11.2
7mm-08 Rem. (120 at 3000) 7.5 12.1 10.2
7mm-08 Rem. (140 at 2860) 8.0 12.6 10.1
.284 Win (150 at 2860) 7.5 17.4 n/a
7x64 (154 at 2850) 8.0 17.9 n/a
.280 Rem. (140 at 3000) 8.0 17.2 11.8
.280 Rem. (150 at 2900) 8.0 17.4 11.8
.280 Rem. (160 at 2800) 8.0 17.0 11.7
7mm Rem. SAUM (160 at 2931) 8.0 21.5 13.2
7mm WSM (140 at 3200) 8.0 20.7 12.9
7mm WSM (160 at 3000) 8.0 21.9 13.3
7mm Rem. Mag. (139 at 3100) 9.0 19.3 11.8
7mm Rem. Mag. (150 at 3100) 8.5 19.2 12.1
7mm Rem. Mag. (160 at 2950) 9.0 20.3 12.0
7mm Rem. Mag. (175 at 2870) 9.0 21.7 12.5
7mm Wby. Mag. (140 at 3300) 9.25 19.5 11.7
7mm Wby. Mag. (160 at 3200) 9.0 25.6 13.5
7mm STW (160 at 3185) 8.5 27.9 14.6
7mm Ultra Mag. (140 at 3425) 8.5 25.3 n/a
7mm Ultra Mag. (160 at 3200) 8.5 29.4 n/a
.30 Carbine (110 at 1990) 7.0 3.5 5.7
.30-30 Win. (150 at 2400) 7.5 10.6 9.5
.30-30 Win. (160 at 2400) 7.5 12.7 10.5
.30-30 Win. (170 at 2200) 7.5 11.0 9.7
.30-40 Krag (180 at 2430) 8.0 16.6 n/a
.300 Sav. (150 at 2630) 7.5 14.8 n/a
.307 Win. (150 at 2600) 7.5 13.7 10.9
.308 Marlin Express (160 at 2660) 8.0 13.4 10.4
.308 Win. (150 at 2800) 7.5 15.8 11.7
.308 Win. (165 at 2700) 7.5 18.1 12.5
.308 Win. (180 at 2610) 8.0 17.5 11.9
.30-06 Spfd. (150 at 2910) 8.0 17.6 11.9
.30-06 Spfd. (165 at 2900) 8.0 20.1 12.7
.30-06 Spfd. (180 at 2700) 8.0 20.3 12.8
.300 Rem. SAUM (180 at 2960) 8.25 23.5 13.6
.300 WSM (150 at 3300) 8.25 22.5 13.3
.300 WSM (180 at 2970) 7.25 27.1 15.5
.300 WSM (180 at 2970) 8.25 23.8 13.6
.300 Win. Mag. (150 at 3320) 8.5 23.5 13.3
.300 Win. Mag. (165 at 3110) 8.0 26.2 14.5
.300 Win. Mag. (180 at 2960) 8.5 25.9 14.0
.300 Wby. Mag. (150 at 3400) 9.25 24.6 13.1
.300 Wby. Mag. (180 at 3240) 9.0 31.6 15.0
.300 Ultra Mag. (180 at 3230) 8.5 32.8 15.8
.30-378 Wby. Mag. (180 at 3300) 9.75 42.6 16.8
7.62x39 Soviet (125 at 2350) 7.0 6.9 8.0
7.62x54R Russian (150 at 2800) 9.0 13.1 9.7
7.62x54R Russian (174 at 2600) 9.0 15.0 10.4
7.65x53 Mauser (180 at 2500) 8.0 15.4 n/a
.303 British (150 at 2700) 7.5 14.2 11.0
.303 British (180 at 2420) 8.0 15.4 11.1
7.7x58 Jap (150 at 2700) 9.0 11.9 9.2
.32-20 Win. (100 at 1984) 6.5 3.3 n/a
.32 Spec. (170 at 2250) 7.0 12.2 10.6
8x57JS Mauser (150 at 2900) 8.0 17.1 11.7
8x57 Mauser (170 at 2400) 8.0 13.6 10.4
8x57JS Mauser (195 at 2500) 8.0 18.5 12.2
.325 WSM (180 at 3060) 7.5 33.1 16.9
.325 WSM (220 at 2840) 7.5 37.5 17.9
8x68S (150 at 3300) 8.5 25.3 13.9
8x68S (200 at 2950) 9.0 29.1 14.4
8mm Rem. Mag. (200 at 2900) 8.5 32.9 15.8
.338-57 O'Connor (200 at 2400) 8.0 19.2 12.4
.338 Marlin Express (200 at 2400) 8.0 16.2 11.4
.338 Marlin Express (200 at 2600) 8.0 22.0 14.0
.338 Federal (200 at 2600) 7.0 22.2 14.3
.338 Federal (210 at 2630) 8.0 21.9 13.3
.338-06 A-Square (200 at 2800) 8.0 23.9 13.9
.338-06 A-Square (250 at 2500) 8.5 28.2 14.6
.338 Win. Mag. (200 at 2950) 8.5 32.8 15.8
.338 Win. Mag. (225 at 2780) 8.5 35.2 16.3
.338 Win. Mag. (250 at 2700) 9.0 33.1 15.4
.338 Ultra Mag (250 at 2860) 8.5 43.1 n/a
.338 Lapua Mag. (225 at 3000) 9.5 37.2 15.9
.338-378 Wby. Mag. (250 at 3040) 11.75 41.1 15.0
.340 Wby. Mag. (200 at 3100) 10.0 29.6 13.8
.340 Wby. Mag. (250 at 2941) 9.0 43.4 17.6
.348 Win. (200 at 2510) 8.0 23.7 n/a
.357 Mag. (158 at 1650) 7.0 4.7 6.6
.35 Rem. (200 at 2050) 7.5 13.5 10.8
.356 Win. (200 at 2400) 7.5 17.5 n/a
.358 Win. (200 at 2490) 8.0 20.9 13.0
.358 Win. (250 at 2260) 7.66 23.0 13.9
.35 Whelen (200 at 2675) 8.0 22.6 13.5
.35 Whelen (225 at 2525) 8.0 25.0 14.2
.35 Whelen (250 at 2400) 7.5 27.9 15.5
.350 Rem. Mag. (200 at 2700) 8.5 22.3 13.0
.350 Rem. Mag. (225 at 2550) 8.5 24.2 13.5
.350 Rem. Mag. (250 at 2500) 8.5 29.0 14.8
9.3x62 (270 at 2550) 8.5 33.3 n/a
9.3x62 (286 at 2360) 9.0 28.0 14.1
9.3x74R (286 at 2400) 8.25 34.3 16.6
.370 Sako Mag. (286 at 2550) 8.5 35.2 16.3
.375 Win. (220 at 2200) 7.5 17.1 12.1
.375 Ruger (270 at 2840) 9.0 41.3 17.2
.375 H&H Mag. (235 at 2700) 9.0 29.5 14.5
.375 H&H Mag. (270 at 2690) 9.0 36.1 16.1
.375 H&H Mag. (300 at 2530) 9.0 37.3 16.3
.375 Ultra Mag (300 at 2800) 8.75 53.2 n/a
.376 Steyr (270 at 2580) 8.0 39.0 n/a
.378 Wby. Mag. (300 at 2900) 10.25 71.1 n/a
.38-40 Win. (180 at 1100) 7.5 3.1 5.2
.38-55 Win. (220 at 1650) 7.5 10.1 9.3
.38-55 Win. (255 at 1415) 7.0 9.5 n/a
.404 Jeffery (400 at 2170) 10.25 41.0 16.1
.405 Win. (300 at 2200) 8.0 30.6 15.7
.416 Rem. Mag. (400 at 2400) 10.0 52.9 18.5
.416 Rigby (400 at 2400) 10.0 58.1 19.3
.416 Wby. Mag. (400 at 2700) 10.25 83.0 22.8
.44-40 Win. (200 at 1200) 7.0 3.4 n/a
.44 Rem. Mag. (240 at 1760) 7.5 11.2 9.8
.44 Rem. Mag. (275 at 1580) 7.5 11.4 9.9
.444 Marlin (240 at 2400) 7.5 23.3 14.2
.444 Marlin (265 at 2200) 8.5 22.1 12.9
.45 Colt (255 at 1100) 8.0 4.0 5.6
.45 Colt +P (250 at 1500) 6.5 11.1 10.5
.45-70 (300 at 1800) 7.0 23.9 14.8
.45-70 (350 at 1900) 7.0 37.9 18.7
.45-70 (405 at 1330) 7.5 18.7 12.7
.450 Marlin (350 at 2000) 7.0 37.2 18.5
.450 Marlin (350 at 2100) 8.5 33.6 16.0
.458 Win. Mag. (400 at 2050) 9.0 41.7 17.3
.458 Win. Mag. (500 at 2100) 9.0 62.3 21.1
.458 Lott (500 at 2300) 10.0 70.4 21.3
.460 Wby. Mag. (500 at 2600) 11.25 99.6 n/a
.470 N.E. (500 at 2150) 11.0 69.3 20.1
.480 Ruger (325 at 1450) 6.25 16.4 13.0
.500 N.E. (570 at 2150) 12.0 74.5 n/a
.50 BMG (647 at 2710) 30.0 70.0 12.3

sureshot73
10-09-2011, 07:34 PM
My wife and daughter both shoot 7-08's, an a-bolt micro hunter and an H&R single shot, both have limbsaver recoil pads, same handloads,139gr bullets, and the a-bolt is approx. 1lb lighter, i've fired 50+ rounds thru both side by side on a trips to the range and the a-bolt kicks considerably less, i was actually suprised at the recoil from the H&R, and now my girl wants an A-bolt too! LOL. I fired my nephews BLR 81 308 loaded with 150gr bullets at near max loads and the recoil was mild aswell, inbetween the previously mentioned rifles. Just my 2 cents!!