PDA

View Full Version : Stoney Point Rapid Bipod

Kale_M
09-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Looking for another option to my harris bipod. For one thing it is alittle short for me when sitting. 2. It does not swivel. 3. I hate how it sinks down in the snow. 4. It is pretty heavy to hae on the gun when I barely use the thing..

I had a 2 legged BOGPOD last year until the leg snapped off it in the cold...

Looking at the Stoney Point rapid bipod.

who has used this and how does it hold up? I have read that the little cap that attaches to your gun has a tendency to crack and break. Can Anyone comment on this?

I like the fact that the SP unit attches to the gun and that i can rest my gun on the ground. I have some homemade shooting sticks and I have had my gun fall off them into the snow, not a fan of that...

Lefty-Canuck
09-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Are you coyote hunting mostly?

If so....think about trying out some shooting sticks....it is nice they aren't attached to the rifle if you have to make a quick position change and soot off hand....or if you are set up to call in heavy cover.

If you aren't hunting coyotes....disregard what I have said :)

....reread your post....you said you used shooting sticks :1041:

LC

Kale_M
09-24-2011, 08:55 PM
yes it is for Coyotes.

Lefty-Canuck
09-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Ok....

I like shooting sticks for the reasons above I used to use an attached bi-pod but I found the same issues you have (sinking down, hard to position, etc.) I also find the collapsable bi-pod freeze up in the snow as well.

Shooting stick offer you the mobilty and flexibility to rapidly change position, you can swing the rifle on a horizontal plane to some extend as well.....I think shooting stick are the way to go IMHO....I also use a "boonie packer safari sling" on my coyote hunting rig its helpful.

http://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdoors.com/store/gun-accessories/boonie-packer/boonie-packer-safari-sling-black/prod_1887.html

LC

Pep
09-24-2011, 09:55 PM
That is a very interesting looking sling. Can you buy them locally LC?

thumper
09-24-2011, 10:11 PM
I have a stoney bi-pod - used it for a while, but switched to shooting sticks. If you've got lots of time to set up, the bi-pod worked fine, but if you're still hunting, it's a pain to detach, reattach, detach all day. When they're detached, they're awkward to stow. You can leave them on the rifle as you walk, but they bob around a bit. I didn't have any problem with the mount cracking.
I now use the aluminum, break-down, shock-cord shooting sticks. They stow on my belt and I find them quick to set up and more versatile.

Lefty-Canuck
09-24-2011, 10:16 PM
That is a very interesting looking sling. Can you buy them locally LC?

Yes, look at WSS they they are in a Zebra Striped package and called a Boonie Packer Safari Sling. I have used them for years....I have several. the best part about them is you can safely carry your rifle out front of you....and shoot with the sling on without removing the rifle from your shoulder like a conventional sling.....so its just up and shoot....once you figure out how to attach the sling to the sling swivels a bit tough the first time (easy once you know how!) then you are all good. They run around $30-40 if I remember. They can also be used if you have a bipod on your rifle.

LC