PDA

View Full Version : 270 problems or ?

Gobber
09-25-2011, 11:11 AM
I got a old 270 all the bells and do dads. Having problems with groupings. I was told 6 mths ago that maybe due to change in moisture content, could this be ture or could it be ammo. HELP.

gitrdun
09-25-2011, 11:25 AM
You should have posted in the guns & ammo forum, mods will likely move it. But you're going to have to elaborate a bit more if you seek valuable advise. Moisture content? huhh?

Gobber
09-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Well thanks..

Lefty-Canuck
09-25-2011, 12:06 PM
Are you reloading? are these factory loaded rounds? WHen you mention moisture content are you talking about the power, ammo, or the storage conditions of the rifle/and or ammo?

Just need to establish a baseline before we can offer up any useful advise.

LC

gitrdun
09-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Well thanks..

Good response...

Gobber
09-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Are you reloading? are these factory loaded rounds? WHen you mention moisture content are you talking about the power, ammo, or the storage conditions of the rifle/and or ammo?

Just need to establish a baseline before we can offer up any useful advise.

LC

No the wood due to begin from east coast, 20 yrs in storage. lots of oil and grease but, no groups. cannot reload where I am at, so buy ammo. tryed 3 kind that I could gewt local but..

Dick84
09-25-2011, 03:59 PM
If its a wood stock it may have warped and is causing poor grouping. Heard of that happening to a few of my friends

PRO4X
09-25-2011, 05:09 PM
If the gun has been in storage for a long period of time, warping of the stock is a good possibility. There are 2 easy fixes for this, 1 being to simply replace the stock, which isn't always the best way to go, monetarily speaking. Fix 2 is to free float the barrel in the stock, I'm assuming since the firearm is older it is not free floated right now. Google free floating a rifle barrel and you can easily follow the online step by step instructions and give the rifle another try. You can also have a gun smith do it, but it is a simple job and will save a few bucks doing it yourself.

Lonnie
09-26-2011, 09:28 AM
No the wood due to begin from east coast, 20 yrs in storage. lots of oil and grease but, no groups. cannot reload where I am at, so buy ammo. tryed 3 kind that I could gewt local but..

it could be warped stock if Finnish is bad or alot of moister around do the groups follow a definite pattern or just scattered on the paper

elkhunter11
09-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Does the rifling look sharp and smooth? Is there any pitting in the bore?
Have you tried a good copper solvent?Have you checked the action screws to see that they are not loose?