PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know where there is a 300 yard range

theflyguy
09-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Folks:
I used to go out to the public range at Sibbald to do some 300 yard shooting but when I went out there this last weekend I see both the 200 and 300 yard range are not in existence. Does anyone know where a person can go to shhot at 200 or 300 yards? I live in Calgary so preferably something south of Calgary
Thanks for any and all info

cochranenite
09-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Crown land is pretty much ur only option I don't think I will go back to. Homesteader range.

mooseknuckle
09-26-2011, 12:45 PM
I went to the lewis estates golf course and shot at their range but all I got was a bunch of attitude from snobby golfers!!

Ggeorge
09-26-2011, 01:11 PM
abit out of the way but Lethbridge has a great range.
has hanging gongs at 300

Scott N
09-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Lethbridge does have a very nice shooting range. I used to live there and I've kept my membership even though I've long since moved to Calgary.

Pudelpointer
09-26-2011, 04:18 PM
abit out of the way but Lethbridge has a great range.
has hanging gongs at 300

And target boards at 400.

At $65 for membership, it is likely the best deal in Canada. Only issue is you will have to sit in on a range officers course if you want to go by yourself.

beansgunsghandi
09-30-2011, 04:43 PM
I wanted to go out there and work a bit at 200--how did they make it so you can't shoot at 200 on the public range, bulldoze a huge berm or something? Thanks for any information you have.

GeoTrekr
09-30-2011, 05:48 PM
I wanted to go out there and work a bit at 200--how did they make it so you can't shoot at 200 on the public range, bulldoze a huge berm or something? Thanks for any information you have.

Bingo.

fordtruckin
09-30-2011, 06:34 PM
How far south do you want to go? South of Spokane Valley WA there is a very small range but has flags and targets out to 800 or 1000 yards. 5$ gets you in to shoot all day. lol ( I doubt that helps you though)

sillyak
09-30-2011, 07:06 PM

It never was rated for 200 yards. That berm just kinda formed over the years lol. They now have a HUGE berm bulldozed in. Almost right behind it they have expanded the old pistol range into a new 200m action range and 2 new 50m pistol bays. Join CSRA, come shoot some matches and get to use the 100m to 900m homstead range, all the pistol bays and the new action range.

beansgunsghandi
09-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the invite Sillyak, but I already pay for one range membership locally. Another $150 to shoot a half-dozen days a year is too much. It's too bad that one of the few places to shoot at 200 yards without a lot of paperwork/hassles is now useless to me and my friends who shot there. Many of the people out there liked to shoot at 200 yards.

I do appreciate the work that the association has done on the range over the years, but taking away the 200 yard stop seems like a bad use of public space to me, and not at all what most users of the range would have wanted. Maybe the "template" didn't call for 200 yards, but it was useful and should have been kept I think. Do we need another pistol range? What do other people think about this?

And I pick up garbage every single time I'm out there, often a whole bag of it, and otherwise try to leave it in better shape than I found it. The place has problems for sure, but reducing the range to 100 yards isn't going to solve any of the problems. It might drive more people to use crown land to shoot instead.

theflyguy
10-05-2011, 11:47 AM
First off thanks to all you folks for the information. I might in fact consider the Lethbridge option. The only concern would be about wind???? The range at Sibbald was very useful and even though it was a fairly long drive for someone living in the deep south of Calgary I did go there simply because of the 200 yard capability. I was a long time member of the CDTS range (in fact helped set it up with Bill Baldwin WAY back) but for practising at hunting ranges I needed to find something with longer ranges (hence Sibbald). I agree with beansgunsghandi that it is a shame they created the huge berm and took away the 200 yard targets.

munyee4321
10-05-2011, 11:52 AM
First off thanks to all you folks for the information. I might in fact consider the Lethbridge option. The only concern would be about wind???? The range at Sibbald was very useful and even though it was a fairly long drive for someone living in the deep south of Calgary I did go there simply because of the 200 yard capability. I was a long time member of the CDTS range (in fact helped set it up with Bill Baldwin WAY back) but for practising at hunting ranges I needed to find something with longer ranges (hence Sibbald). I agree with beansgunsghandi that it is a shame they created the huge berm and took away the 200 yard targets.

If you do join up with the lethbridge fish and game range always makes sure a head of time that the the range you intend to use isn't booked for a special event. Be a shame to drive such a long ways to only get to the gate and see a special event and the range is closed. Otherwise it's a great range that accommodates for all shooter and for a decent price.

AB2506
10-05-2011, 08:30 PM
It never was rated for 200 yards. That berm just kinda formed over the years lol. They now have a HUGE berm bulldozed in. Almost right behind it they have expanded the old pistol range into a new 200m action range and 2 new 50m pistol bays. Join CSRA, come shoot some matches and get to use the 100m to 900m homstead range, all the pistol bays and the new action range.

I've read before that this was not rated for 200yds. However, I probably went out there for the first time in '84 or '85. The 200 and 300 yd target boards were up at that time, and the boards were old then. Those boards did not "kinda formed" over the years, they've been there 27 plus years.

I under stand the range may not have been intended for 200 and 300, but I'm just saying that people have been shooting those distances for many years.