PDA

View Full Version : Maverick 88 field

dewalt18
09-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to grab one of these from wholesale this week (if they have stock), and am wondering if anybody knows if this model has the interchangable choke tubes??

bowhunter9841
09-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking to grab one of these from wholesale this week (if they have stock), and am wondering if anybody knows if this model has the interchangable choke tubes??

Yes it does! It's a great gun too for the price! But upgrade the recoil pad! I put a limbsaver on mine! The stock pad is harder than a hockey puck! I pumped 80 rounds through mine last weekend! Shot my first 2 grouse with it too! The choke tubes from the mossberg 500 will also fit this gun! Go get one, you will not regret it!

dewalt18
09-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks bowhunter!

I've already got the 88 in the defender model, and after over 400 rounds (mostly target load and a few dozen slugs and 00) it funtions perfectly. Never jammed, never misfired, nothing. Was planning on getting a new barrel for it, but the price difference for a new complete one is only $50, so why not! Any choke suggestion for high velocity steel shot on geese?

bowhunter9841
09-26-2011, 05:06 PM
This is my first shotgun, haven't really done any duck and goose hunting! I would just go with a full choke myself though! But I'm definitely not a pro! I just have the stock modified that it came with.

Richard B.
09-26-2011, 07:13 PM
I bought a 20g last year along with a couple of choke tubes and it does all of my bird hunting. It is a basic, functional, gun that has a great reputation for reliability.

catnthehat
09-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks bowhunter!

I've already got the 88 in the defender model, and after over 400 rounds (mostly target load and a few dozen slugs and 00) it funtions perfectly. Never jammed, never misfired, nothing. Was planning on getting a new barrel for it, but the price difference for a new complete one is only $50, so why not! Any choke suggestion for high velocity steel shot on geese?

The best chokes for steel are normally modified or improved cylinder, depending on the restriction.
Now, there ARE full chokes designed for steel out there, but the restriction is far more open than a full choke for lead, so make sure if you do get a full choke that is made for steel!:scared:
Myself, I use MOD/IC chokes for steel in my 20 O/U and 12 SXS's for geese and ducks, , and my son uses SKT/SKT in his big 3.5" 12 gauge O/U.
Cat

dewalt18
09-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Just picked up my new toy, got the last one in stock ot wholesale in Calgary. Looking forward to getting a few clays in the air tomorrow to get a feel for it, then hitting the fields! Thanks for the choke info Cat, as always your vast knowledge has help out a younger hunter! Came with a mod from the factory, will give it a try with that and see how it does.