PDA

View Full Version : Abolition of Long Gun Registery

Webley Man
09-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Hello fellow shooters,

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything recently about the Long Gun Registery being abolished and exactly when this is going to happen.

My understanding is that Stephen Harper has promised that his government will make this happen early during this session of Parliament, however I have not heard anything in the news and someone I know advised that the Harper Government are under pressure from such sources as NATO not to get rid of the Long Gun Registry?

I e-mailed Stephen Harper and asked him when this is going to happen and at this time I am awaiting a responce?

Does anyone else out there have any knowlede of if or when this is going to happen or what is going on in Government circles right now?

great white whaler
09-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Harper is to busy building new prisons and military jets ,he'll bring the gun registry in when he gets around to it.

Christofficer
09-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Doubt it.

fordtruckin
09-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Just have to wait and see.... Hopefully he is not talking about it so when it gets brought up people are caught off guard and vote to get rid of it. If they keep talking and debating about it the Liberals will have a chance to make their members vote the party line again ect... My views on it anyways

Halcyon
09-27-2011, 12:58 PM
I got a case of beer that's it's going to be an election "promise" the next time around. It's a bet I'll gladly loose if it happens but I have my doubts. They're all a bunch of self serving liars.

Webley Man
09-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Just have to wait and see.... Hopefully he is not talking about it so when it gets brought up people are caught off guard and vote to get rid of it. If they keep talking and debating about it the Liberals will have a chance to make their members vote the party line again ect... My views on it anyways

Stephen Harper has a majorety in Parliament and so if his party wants to get the Long Gun registery disbanded the Conservatives have the voting power in Parliament to make it happen.

May I suggest for anyone who feels the same way as I do send Stephen Harper a question on this subject. You can do it by e-mail and on line .

Jamie Black R/T
09-27-2011, 01:08 PM
If they keep talking and debating about it the Liberals will have a chance to make their members vote the party line again ect... My views on it anyways

what's a liberal? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

i wont be suprised if they hold off and use it as a re-election bargaining tool.

hope not....but would not be shocked

Big Daddy Badger
09-27-2011, 01:19 PM
There is more to it than simply abolishing the registry.
They need to consider what new laws or changes to current laws will need to be made along with how this will affect everything from employment in NB to offenses involving firearms, how to ensure that there isn't a spike in sales to unlicensed people, unsafe storage etc etc.

Being politicians they are no doubt trying to make sure they get as much mileage out of this as possible while avoiding potential pitfalls.

I'm pretty sure it will be abolished in due course but one does have to wonder what that will mean. Hopefully we don't end up with something even less palatable or something that ends up resulting in more otherwise law abiding owners accidentally getting themselves into a pickle.

Webley Man
09-27-2011, 01:38 PM
They need to consider what new laws or changes to current laws will need to be made along with how this will affect everything from employment in NB to offenses involving firearms, how to ensure that there isn't a spike in sales to unlicensed people, unsafe storage etc etc.

Being politicians they are no doubt trying to make sure they get as much mileage out of this as possible while avoiding potential pitfalls.

I'm pretty sure it will be abolished in due course but one does have to wonder what that will mean. Hopefully we don't end up with something even less palatable or something that ends up resulting in more otherwise law abiding owners accidentally getting themselves into a pickle.

Think that you make some good points here.

I will be interested to see if I receive a straight forward and meaningful reply from my e-mail to the Prime Ministers Office. We shall see.

HunterDave
09-27-2011, 01:44 PM
I will be interested to see if I receive a straight forward and meaningful reply from my e-mail to the Prime Ministers Office. We shall see.

You'd have better luck contacting your Member of Parliment (MP). Assuming that a PC was elected in your riding.

Dan the Saskbertan
09-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Here is a complete list of our Members of Parliament. Let's remind them of the election promise their party made.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E

Sincerely,
Dan

Scott N
09-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Keep in mind that changing the law is a long process after going through parliament and the senate. Isn't abolishing the long gun registry part of the CPC's "crime bill"? Nothing will change until spring, at the earliest.

alacringa
09-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Here is a complete list of our Members of Parliament. Let's remind them of the election promise their party made.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E

Sincerely,
Dan

Exactly what I was going to post. Send a letter to your MP,and cc the PM. The man gets a lot of email, and a lot of it probably gets more or less ignored; but with the local MP's office, it's probably to make a little more impact, especially if your MP has any kind of weight within the party.

mac_xi@hotmail.com
09-27-2011, 08:26 PM
He is too busy paying Bay Street experts $90,000 a day to teach his government how to cut spending. Lol

Sushi
09-27-2011, 08:39 PM
...Send a letter to your MP,and cc the PM. The man gets a lot of email, and a lot of it probably gets more or less ignored; but with the local MP's office, it's probably to make a little more impact, especially if your MP has any kind of weight within the party.

Good idea....only 1 thing....Harper is my MP...is there a way to send it to Harper the MP instead of Harper the PM so that it gets looked at???

alacringa
09-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Good idea....only 1 thing....Harper is my MP...is there a way to send it to Harper the MP instead of Harper the PM so that it gets looked at???

I thought of this after I posted...I'm just a few kms west of you (Lee Richardson's riding); and was kind of waiting for someone to ask that question. Sadly, I'm not sure there's a difference between Harper, MP; and Harper, PM.

TBD
09-27-2011, 09:25 PM
My question is what are they going to replace it with ?

In the old days (before the registry) when you purchased a non resticted firearm they would write your name down in a book. Are they going to go back to this method .....

Grizzly Adams
09-27-2011, 09:29 PM
Somehow, I don't think it will be too long. They've already limited debate to two days, on the anti crime legislation they just introduced. :D These guys aren't into fooling around

Grizz

slimjim
09-27-2011, 10:27 PM

Sincerely,
Dan

Thanks for the link Dan, I hope every hunter bookmarks this and start sending e-mails.

Big Daddy Badger
09-27-2011, 10:40 PM
My question is what are they going to replace it with ?

In the old days (before the registry) when you purchased a non resticted firearm they would write your name down in a book. Are they going to go back to this method .....

Exactly my point.
What will we end up with?

I never liked the registry but I do have to admit that there was some peace of mind that came out of it when buying and selling.
In future private deals will I have the same ability to confirm another persons license... how will I know that a firearm I'm buying isn't stolen or connected to a crime? What happens if I do happen to unknowingly purchase a stolen weapon?

Armed with the new Omnibus Crime Bill and having lost the registry... will we see otherwise lawful people sent up the river for making simple innocent mistakes or for being duped into buying weapons connected to crime.

I think I'll hold off on private sales and purchases until after the smoke has cleared.

32-40win
09-28-2011, 12:43 AM
You will still need to keep a record of who you sold a firearm to and their PAL info. You just won't have to deal with Miramichi to transfer and register it.
How they will deal with gun shows and private sales has yet to be seen, but, a sale in a store will have to be recorded. Whether Ottawa will have those records fowarded somewhere and how they will deal with them is another question yet. You will still have safe storage and transport in force, and the PAL syetem. That is not going away. There is a smoke and mirrors game going on, we just haven't seen what is behind door #1 yet. We have yet to see what happens with the UN resolutions that we "protested", could be another ITAR deal we don't have to sign on to, but will be affected by.
And the whole scenario is only good for as long as Harper, or maybe the Conservative gov't based in the west is in power. Or maybe an outside source will force their hand by indirect methods. There is no end to the shenanigans they could pull without changing actual firearms laws.

Big Daddy Badger
09-28-2011, 01:22 AM
No doubt.
It's all smoke, mirrors and careful what you wish for (you might just get it) with these guys.

I have a sneaking suspicion that in true Canadian politician form they will somehow manage to make us regret working to getting rid of that darn registry by replacing it with even more contrary, convoluted and ridiculous laws/rules.

I hope it is a simple as keeping our own records and I also hope that people do that whether they are required to or not... just to cover their own butts.
We don't need to provide the anti's any more ammo than they already have at the expense of some poor guy who didn't dot an i or cross his t.

Hopefully we aren't unwittingly entering into a period of even greater liability, bother and risk for owners.

Lonnie
09-28-2011, 01:41 AM
Exactly my point.

I never liked the registry but I do have to admit that there was some peace of mind that came out of it when buying and selling.
In future private deals will I have the same ability to confirm another persons license... how will I know that a firearm I'm buying isn't stolen or connected to a crime? What happens if I do happen to unknowingly purchase a stolen weapon?

Armed with the new Omnibus Crime Bill and having lost the registry... will we see otherwise lawful people sent up the river for making simple innocent mistakes or for being duped into buying weapons connected to crime.

I think I'll hold off on private sales and purchases until after the smoke has cleared.

weapons connected to a crime cuold be any thing from your car to a pocket knife. and that piece of mind when buying or selling is only in your mind as the registry screws up every ones in awhile and excepts no responsibility the liability still falls on you same as buying used car or any other second hand tool.

Bolete
09-28-2011, 01:46 PM
You will still need to keep a record of who you sold a firearm to and their PAL info. You just won't have to deal with Miramichi to transfer and register it.
How they will deal with gun shows and private sales has yet to be seen, but, a sale in a store will have to be recorded. Whether Ottawa will have those records fowarded somewhere and how they will deal with them is another question yet. You will still have safe storage and transport in force, and the PAL syetem. That is not going away. There is a smoke and mirrors game going on, we just haven't seen what is behind door #1 yet. We have yet to see what happens with the UN resolutions that we "protested", could be another ITAR deal we don't have to sign on to, but will be affected by.
And the whole scenario is only good for as long as Harper, or maybe the Conservative gov't based in the west is in power. Or maybe an outside source will force their hand by indirect methods. There is no end to the shenanigans they could pull without changing actual firearms laws.

How is it that you know this to be true when they haven't released any info on it yet?

sheephunter
09-28-2011, 02:21 PM

It was never that way before the registry so not sure why it would be if they abolish it.

slam
09-28-2011, 02:37 PM
The registry information may already been shared and stored in other locations.

Canadian National Firearms Tracing Centre
The Canadian National Firearms Tracing Centre (CNFTC) assists all law enforcement agencies throughout Canada in tracing firearms and thereby advancing investigations.

The origin of a crime gun is discovered through the tracing process which outlines the detailed history of the firearm. In 2009, there were 2,283 firearms traced in Canada.

Through protocols established with the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the two agencies can exchange trace information electronically. The result is a decreased error rate in tracing submissions and a significant improvement in the time required to receive trace results.

The CNFTC also makes use of the CFP's Canadian Firearms Information System, the database of all legally registered firearms in Canada. As well, they are a member of INTERPOL and the Integrated Weapons and Explosives Tracking System.

sheephunter
09-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Ya but I'm sure everyone will sell or trade all their previously registered rifles the day the registry is abolished and that info will be useless ;)

I suspect a lot of the info traded with ATF is in regards to handguns anyhow. That won't change.

fear 666
09-28-2011, 04:35 PM
There is alot of info on this subject at canadiangunnutz. From the way everything sound it will hopefully be gone before years end. I hope so anyway.

timsesink
09-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Email sent.

Big Daddy Badger
09-28-2011, 04:52 PM
weapons connected to a crime cuold be any thing from your car to a pocket knife. and that piece of mind when buying or selling is only in your mind as the registry screws up every ones in awhile and excepts no responsibility the liability still falls on you same as buying used car or any other second hand tool.

Thats right but...as far as responsibility goes but not about liability. Who wants to be the test case and end up being the only person they can link to a murder or something because you have the weapon?
Responsible or not...involved or not...there would be considerable liability for you if you were found in possession of stolen or crime connected weapons.
Sure...it might all get worked out in the end but in the mean time...your life could be turned upside down.

Keep records or don't.... it all depends on individual comfort levels, the weapon and the circumstance.

Lonnie
09-29-2011, 03:12 AM
Thats right but...as far as responsibility goes but not about liability. Who wants to be the test case and end up being the only person they can link to a murder or something because you have the weapon?
Responsible or not...involved or not...there would be considerable liability for you if you were found in possession of stolen or crime connected weapons.
Sure...it might all get worked out in the end but in the mean time...your life could be turned upside down.

Keep records or don't.... it all depends on individual comfort levels, the weapon and the circumstance.

the registry just made it a little easier for them to find a stolen rifle if some one was dumb enough to try and register a previously registered weapon reported stolen but even before the registry they could turn your world up side down if the cuold connect any thing you have to a crime

Lonnie
09-29-2011, 03:40 AM
all the registry did was create some jobs and give the goverment the names of the law abiding citizen and how many guns they own this data is of more use to the goverment and the UN in doing risk assessment of the possibility of civil war. back when the UN came out with one of thier studies Canada was rated as the second most likely country that had the capability to over throw its own goverment USA was #1, Australia and India were also right up there. after that report was released politicians started getting all these gun laws and registry in place telling us it was going to make us all safer. and a lot of people believe that but its no safer than it was before all this came to be. all the new generation think that with out all these laws and licensing that every criminal & nut job wuold have and use a gun. well most have a gun or 2, the law is like a lock on the front door it only keeps out honest people.

Big Daddy Badger
09-29-2011, 05:40 AM
the registry just made it a little easier for them to find a stolen rifle if some one was dumb enough to try and register a previously registered weapon reported stolen but even before the registry they could turn your world up side down if the cuold connect any thing you have to a crime

All I'm saying is...it might be more likely to happen (for a number of reasons) to some poor slob once the darn LGR is Kaput.

Big Daddy Badger
09-29-2011, 05:48 AM
all the registry did was create some jobs and give the goverment the names of the law abiding citizen and how many guns they own this data is of more use to the goverment and the UN in doing risk assessment of the possibility of civil war. back when the UN came out with one of thier studies Canada was rated as the second most likely country that had the capability to over throw its own goverment USA was #1, Australia and India were also right up there. after that report was released politicians started getting all these gun laws and registry in place telling us it was going to make us all safer. and a lot of people believe that but its no safer than it was before all this came to be. all the new generation think that with out all these laws and licensing that every criminal & nut job wuold have and use a gun. well most have a gun or 2, the law is like a lock on the front door it only keeps out honest people.

No doubt.
They have been setting themselves up for the establishment of a new aristocracy for a long time now. It does feel more like we are working for them than the other way around.
Absolute power corrupts...absolutely.

it's too bad that when people get frustrated they quit voting.
if everyone was required to... maybe it would shake things up a bit and we'd have government more responsive and reflective of how the real majority feels and not just the SIG's.

Big Daddy Badger
09-29-2011, 05:55 AM

Duplicate post...how'd that happen?

Rugerlover
09-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Exactly my point.

I thought you couldn't wait for the long gun registry to be abolished. You went as far as to say you will sell your firearms and repurchase them when the registry goes away for good. Now you are having second thoughts?
lol....you're driving us nuts here bro.

Anyways, don't be too comfy the provinces might have a long gun registry, Harper told the provinces if they want to have a provincial registration for firearms, then it is their own choice.
Something will replace it....

blacktailslayer
09-29-2011, 11:57 AM
it's too bad that when people get frustrated they quit voting.

I agree it is too bad, but look at the United States. Obama was going to be the great savior after Bush(brain dead). They had a better voter turn out than normal, elected Obama, and they are in a worse mess now than they ever have been. Obama has the same idiots running the Federal reserve as before. His advisers on financial matters are the same greedy scumbags that caused the banking meltdown in the first place.This is why people stop voting, and they are well on their way to becoming a third world country. Just my .02 cents.

Elk Chaser
09-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Question:
Your web page has "LATEST GOVERNMENT NEWS" , when can we (the ones who voted for you) expect to see that Stephen Harper has abolished the long gun registry?

Answer:The Prime Minister has indicated legislation to eliminate the long gun registry will be tabled this fall.

Catherine Hingley
Parliamentary Assistant to
Leon Benoit, MP, Chair of the Standing
Committee on Natural Resources
Room 613, Justice Building
House of Commons
T: (613) 992-4171 / F: (613) 996-9011
www.leonbenoit.ca

d_jonesy
09-29-2011, 04:35 PM

As I think someone stated in here, there won't be a "spike in sales to unlicensed people" as, to my knowledge, the plan is to only abolish the registry not the licensing. I don't think anyone wants to abolish the licensing process, no one will say that publicly, anyway.

Rugerlover
09-29-2011, 07:26 PM
As I think someone stated in here, there won't be a "spike in sales to unlicensed people" as, to my knowledge, the plan is to only abolish the registry not the licensing. I don't think anyone wants to abolish the licensing process, no one will say that publicly, anyway.

In many countries it is mandatory to go for a psychological assessment at a pshychiatrist before getting a gun permit from the local police department. Things are a little to relaxed in Canada and USA.

Lonnie
09-30-2011, 03:12 AM

I would love to get rid of the licensing system as it is thier is a few different way they cuold set up a licencing system that wuold work OK but it wuold have to be set up with no political agenda or cash cow syndrome. such as a licence to own and use firearms good for life and can only be suspended by a judge for set number of days or weeks, if charged under criminal coded and only revoked if convicted of a crime. and refused license if medically not fit to have one ( mental problems, blind, ect... )

Rugerlover
10-02-2011, 09:50 PM
I would love to get rid of the licensing system as it is thier is a few different way they cuold set up a licencing system that wuold work OK but it wuold have to be set up with no political agenda or cash cow syndrome. such as a licence to own and use firearms good for life and can only be suspended by a judge for set number of days or weeks, if charged under criminal coded and only revoked if convicted of a crime. and refused license if medically not fit to have one ( mental problems, blind, ect... )

At present if someone gets charged for something, bye bye guns till the case is resolved?
The gun license for 5 year thing is a joke, also the reference part is a joke. Who outside of your family is wiling to sign on for you having guns?
everyone hates them.

densa44
10-02-2011, 11:08 PM
I have a bet too, that what we get will be worse than what they eliminate.

So far they haven't eliminated the registry, it would be easy to do that, starting something new is hard, stopping something is easy, just don't send out the cheques!

I have heard that they are working on expanding the "restricted" category to all semi center fire rifles.

If that happens I'll say I won my bet!

Fix election dates will be next, remember that?

fear 666
10-03-2011, 12:42 AM

So far they haven't eliminated the registry, it would be easy to do that, starting something new is hard, stopping something is easy, just don't send out the cheques!

I have heard that they are working on expanding the "restricted" category to all semi center fire rifles.

If that is the case (l doubt it will be any tme soon) and l buy a semi auto rifle it won't be registered (because the registry will be gone) and the government wont know l have it and l will shoot it where l please, Restricted or not.

Big Daddy Badger
10-03-2011, 12:51 AM
If that is the case (l doubt it will be any tme soon) and l buy a semi auto rifle it won't be registered (because the registry will be gone) and the government wont know l have it and l will shoot it where l please, Restricted or not.

The Long Gun Registry may be gone but the Registry for Restricted weapons will still be around.
I would imagine that if they decide to make all semi centre fires restricted...any currently registered in the Long Gun Registry will be transfered before the Long Gun registry bites it.

So... the only way around it would be to buy a weapon that has never been registered and take your chances or get your Restricted weapons license and keep it all on the up and up.

fear 666
10-03-2011, 02:57 AM
The Long Gun Registry may be gone but the Registry for Restricted weapons will still be around.
I would imagine that if they decide to make all semi centre fires restricted...any currently registered in the Long Gun Registry will be transfered before the Long Gun registry bites it.

So... the only way around it would be to buy a weapon that has never been registered and take your chances or get your Restricted weapons license and keep it all on the up and up.

If the registry goes it will be this year, way before any semi autos are put on the restricted list (if) so there would be no semi autos transfered to the restricted list, only classed as restricted. If the registry goes then when you buy a semi auto from the store it will not be registered (l think that's how it works). So if down the line they are restricted the governmnt won't know who has one so they can't come to you and say "get your restricted lisence or we are taking your semi center fire rifle".

So if l buy a semi rifle while the registry is gone and those guns are put on the resticted list for no reason what so ever, i will say "screw them, they do not know l have it", l will shoot it where l please. I am tired of these radical gun law makers.

densa44
10-03-2011, 11:15 AM
I'll bet that is why it is taking so long! To address the problems that the members here have mentioned.

I am always worried when politicians try to solve problems!

Camp Cook
10-03-2011, 11:02 PM
The Bill to get rid of the LGR will be introduced very soon.

The CPC have majorites in the house and the senate due to this they also control all of the commities so have no fear when the government Bill to get rid of the LGR is introduced it will be fast tracked.

Vic Toews has responded to concernes of expanding the restricted lists it is not going to happen.

Basically there will be no further restrictions to semi-autos as long as the CPC have a majority if we have a ndp/lieberal coalition government someday expect all handguns and semi-autos to be banned and that will be just the start.

I own single shot T/C Contender carbines for more reasons than I like them I figure single shots rifles/shotguns will be the last firearms that the anti's will ban when they get back in.

Big Daddy Badger
10-03-2011, 11:18 PM
If the registry goes it will be this year, way before any semi autos are put on the restricted list (if) so there would be no semi autos transfered to the restricted list, only classed as restricted. If the registry goes then when you buy a semi auto from the store it will not be registered (l think that's how it works). So if down the line they are restricted the governmnt won't know who has one so they can't come to you and say "get your restricted lisence or we are taking your semi center fire rifle".

So if l buy a semi rifle while the registry is gone and those guns are put on the resticted list for no reason what so ever, i will say "screw them, they do not know l have it", l will shoot it where l please. I am tired of these radical gun law makers.

Firearms bought in stores are registered in the businesses name until someone buys them.
It would be pretty easy to look at the action and calibre then simply take that info and reasign the weapon to the other class.
So...if they do change the semi's categorys...they will probably do just that ...before the LG registry is gone.
If...like you say they abolished the LG Registry then change the rules on semi's later on...your only real hope would probably still be a private purchase. The stores will still need to keep a record of the sale for a year or so... just like with the old FAC system.

Also... with everyone worrying about more reactionary laws in relation to their own firearms...firing it anywhere you want might not be an option.
You would still need to be careful because if the wrong person saw you out there hunting or whatever with a restricted weapon...they might just drop a dime on you.

Anyway...I don't think the semi centerfire thing will happen...it just seems to be a rumour right now.

Rugerlover
11-11-2011, 01:32 PM
The Bill to get rid of the LGR will be introduced very soon.

The CPC have majorites in the house and the senate due to this they also control all of the commities so have no fear when the government Bill to get rid of the LGR is introduced it will be fast tracked.

Vic Toews has responded to concernes of expanding the restricted lists it is not going to happen.

Basically there will be no further restrictions to semi-autos as long as the CPC have a majority if we have a ndp/lieberal coalition government someday expect all handguns and semi-autos to be banned and that will be just the start.

I own single shot T/C Contender carbines for more reasons than I like them I figure single shots rifles/shotguns will be the last firearms that the anti's will ban when they get back in.

So, if this coalition does happen and there is a ban on handguns...how does this work the RCMP come by to your residence and take possession of the gun permanently?
Which Semi Auto would be banned?
Rim or Centrefire?

Rugerlover
11-11-2011, 01:37 PM

What does that mean?
a Ruger mini 14 ranch rifle is a centre fire semi auto. The law makers basically don't want any extra rounds being available and able to be discharged out of your gun at a given moment. It all stems back to the Montreal tragedy.