PDA

View Full Version : Win Pre 64 Question

Booner Sniper
09-29-2011, 08:46 AM
My wife surprised me back in July on my Bday with a Pre 64 in 270 that I found at the local shop. Needless to say I was one happy guy! The barrel was shorter than anything listed in the books at 20" as they didn't make a carbine, as well the stock was cut down, refinished and a recoil pad put on. The collector value was gone but the barrel and action are in amazing shape, the action is as tighter than any I have seen on a Pre 64.
I swapped out stocks for a Boyds Walnut Classic that I had on another Mod 70 classic, some inletting was needed but not bad.
When I had it apart I was checking things over and on the bottom of the barrel it is stamped 270 then an inch away it's stamped 54, which made me wonder as the finish on the barrel is different than the receiver. I went on the computer and searched out Mod 54s and it turns out that they indeed came in a 20"Carbine!

My question is what do you guys think the chances are that it is a Mod 70 action with a Mod 54 barrel on it? Any thoughts or advice as how to find out would be appreciated.
I through a scope on it and tried 2 different loads I had for my other 270s and this lil guy will shoot 1/2" with the one load! I was pretty freaking excited to have something that good to start out with even before I start playing with the loads!

catnthehat
09-29-2011, 10:08 AM
It could be a 54 barrel, but if it shoots that well and it was a gift, who really cares!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
It would be nice to know however......
Cat

Booner Sniper
09-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks Dave, ya I'm not worried bout it, just was curious as to see the history of this rig and if it is a combo gun or not, either way it works great!

leo
09-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Pre 64's also have the year of manufacture by the recoil lug under the barrel. It likely means 1954. What is the safety look like?Pre war model 70's have a totaly different safety , while the post war type has a safety typical to modern model 70's.

Booner Sniper
09-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Well it does have the 3 postion saftey and the manufacture date according to the serial number search says 1955 so maybe it was built in 54. Thanks for the info on that, good to know