PDA

View Full Version : Hornaday Bullets

goatskin
09-30-2011, 10:29 AM
I load for my sons 7-08 and have been using 139 grain SST's for some time with very good results. I, however was too short sighted to have a large enough supply of the SST's on hand and ran out. When looking on the Hornaday website, the 139 gr GMX and the Interbond bullets have exactly the same ballistic coefficient and sectional density as the SST's do. My question is will the bullets fly the same and can I use the same load as the SST with these other bullets or do I have to start from scratch and build up a new load?

Goatskin

sheephunter
09-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Any time you change bullets, things can change. They may not but they may. There's really no way to predict.

elkhunter11
09-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Any change in bullet construction, or weight, or in the powder charge can result in a different point of impact, and in the velocity of the load. The only way to know where the point of impact will be, and to see the actual trajectory, is to shoot the load in your rifle. You also need to be aware that changing to a monometal bullet such as the GMX, could result in more chamber pressure being produced. I would back off the powder charge a couple of grains, and work up with the new bullets.

black45
09-30-2011, 11:32 AM
I have used sst and interbonds in my 30-06 ,the same bullet impact,same
load. both are very accurate in my rifle,,great.

aulrich
09-30-2011, 04:03 PM
My understanding is sst and interbonds are the same bullet except the interbond has the core bonded to the jacket.

But it would be prudent to test, requardless.

Dick284
09-30-2011, 04:25 PM
My understanding is sst and interbonds are the same bullet except the interbond has the core bonded to the jacket.

But it would be prudent to test, requardless.

The Interbond has a much thicker jacket, and a bonded core.

The GMX is a monolithic type bullet with driving bands to reduce pressure.
My experience with all 4 different styles of Hornady bullet (Interlock, Interbond, SST, GMX) have shown that they do behave differently and that the GMX's are perhaps the most different of all of them requiring the most adjustment in load.

goatskin
09-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Thank you all for the insight. I will back off of my SST load and work up a load for the Interbonds to which I am comfortable with. I was just confused with them having the exact same bc's and sd's. But it does make sense that the different bullet constructions would behave differently.

Goatskin

Big Daddy Badger
09-30-2011, 10:20 PM
I've found that they fly about the same but I needed to tweek my load a wee bit.... a couple tenths less or more depending upon the rifle and calibre.

fordtruckin
09-30-2011, 11:39 PM
Thank you all for the insight. I will back off of my SST load and work up a load for the Interbonds to which I am comfortable with. I was just confused with them having the exact same bc's and sd's. But it does make sense that the different bullet constructions would behave differently.

Goatskin

2 years ago I was lookin in cabelas at 30.06 ammo and a random guy came up to me outta the blue and asked what I was lookin for. He wasn't wearing any Cabelas uniform so I figured he was just a fellow shooting enthusiast just tryin to start friendly conversation. Anyhow he pointed me towards hornady Interbonds. I said thanks and he went on his way. It was only afterwards I noticed the cabela gun guy standing off to the side and he informed me he was some really REALLY BIG authority on firearms. For the life of me I can't remember his name but he had just finished doing several articles for shooting mags compairing various premium 30.06 bullets and the best he came up with was the Interbonds... just food for thought... Wish I could remember the guys name...:angry3::sign0161: