PDA

View Full Version : Front Rest - What's best?

260 Rem
09-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Here's my take on front rests (not bipods). There are at least three basic feaures to look for::: Stability / Slide / Forestock fit
Stability- The rest needs to be solid, so piling something on top of something else is not a good idea. Anything that "rocks" backwards under recoil is your enemy. Consider the fact that the bullet has left the barrel before the rifle recoils 1/8 inch. A front rest that "rocks" can not be relied on to rock the same for each shot...which will contribute to the growth of your group.
So, the bag on the cradle must not bind on the forestock...it must permit "slide". A good dose of electrical tape will do two things...keep the bag from rocking, and provide a smooth surface which does not let the forestock bind as it moves back.
Forestock fit is also crucial. Every rifle torques, and as much as possible, it is a good idea to contol the "roll". Benchrest forestocks are typically flat on the bottom and wide enough to resist the torque roll. Not so on your hunting rifle, so you need to contour the bag on the cradle to fit the forestock as best as you can. That extra bit of support on the sides will be your friend. Don't expect great results from a rifle that sits loose in the front bag!
Lets hear your front rest ideas.

catnthehat
09-30-2011, 10:32 PM
I use a Bald Eagle top on a Hart bottom, the top is adjustable for windage and also adjusts for the width of the for end.
Cat

normanrd
10-01-2011, 09:05 AM
I have a set of custom built sand bags for the bench, but lately I have been using a Bulls' Bag. It works great! Check it out! Solid, stable, fits the forewood good, and actually will help with felt recoil without the use of a sissy bag.

elkhunter11
10-01-2011, 09:28 AM
I use a Caldwell Rock, it isn't overly expensive, but it seems to work quite well for me.