PDA

View Full Version : badger

stormy
01-21-2008, 05:47 PM
22# out of badger on saturday http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh107/stormymb/IMG_6285.jpg

gramps73
01-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Nice looking fish
It looks pretty cold out
gramps

pecker
01-21-2008, 07:55 PM
way to go stormy , would like to catch one like that again . its been a while.

gonefishin
01-21-2008, 09:09 PM
nice fish indeed. way to go.

Lethalconnection
01-21-2008, 11:22 PM
um sorry but thats not 22lbs this is a 19lb pike and it has WAY more girth then that and length. Id give it 13-14lbs.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/lethalconnection/39.jpg

Not trying to be an ass but why lie?

Nice fish though.

Barbwire
01-22-2008, 06:38 AM
Beauty fish Stormy but Ill have to agree with lethal in saying that fish is no where near 22 pounds.

Heres one I caught out of pigeon that didnt even hit the 20 pound mark.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j147/mcrae_1234/P4020015.jpg

Barbwire

stormy
01-22-2008, 08:12 AM
you guys are funny oohh maybe i read it backwards nop still 22
come on i have no reason to lie but i will tell you what when i get home tonight i will weigh a 20#weight and see if my scale out
thats funny caus my girlfriend said should i take a picture of the scale i said no what for (this is probably why i never realy post pictures caus i see this $#it on here all the time) take a good look @ the pic me no lie
happy fishin

willy
01-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Just the way stormy holding looks to be tilted a bit cant see the girth as good. All not bad fish but why take the pics of the small ones.

Winch101
01-22-2008, 09:40 AM
As a long time guide and tackle salesman , and fishing promoter (
kind word for BS peddler ) There are lot of things that come
into play here , if you take a shot of a child holding the fish close to its body
always looks bigger , ( pic 1 ) an adult with arms out stretched always bigger .( Pic2) or a large adult well over 6' tall with arms tucked in
the fish will always look a little diminutive .
The accepted method is first, wide angle lens and outstretched arms
for max bulk appearance .
And another thing , the fish scales you can buy at tackle stores
have chinese , white metal springs in them that loosen up with use .
A good fishing guide makes a living with a loose scale .
And I know Stormy and he is one of the upfront guys that I have met
on this board and lord knows there are a few loose screws .
I mean that in the most charitable way possible ..

TundraBuck
01-22-2008, 10:24 AM
From looking at lethalconnections which is 19 pounds there is no way yours is 22.

Lethalconnection
01-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Ok well maybe you arent lying but i think they're maybe something wrong with the scale cause alot of those spring scales are hardly accurate, especially if its older and you have used it alot the spring wears out therefore giving an unaccurate reading, then again lots of brand new ones are just screwed up right out of the package.

geezer55
01-22-2008, 03:04 PM
This reminds me of a discussion on another site about GPS coords. My GPS gives the coords as one location and yours gives them just a little different . . . whose GPS is correct? As for scales it the same way . . . same fish different weights . . . whose scale is correct? As for pictures it's all about perspective . . . give a couple of fishermen the same fish to hold and a couple of photographers to take the photo and the fish in each photo will look different.

High_N_Wide
01-22-2008, 03:17 PM
I have changed my wording on this as I have checked some pictures of fish I and friend have caught and looks can be hard to judge. We have one that is a 15lbs and your for sure is bigger.

Great Job and if your scale says 22 you got not grief from me!

At Pigeon a couple years ago I nailed a walleye through the ice, we thought I really had a hog. Measured 29.5" weighted 7lbs 15ozs. We figured 10 for sure weighted it 3 times and checked the scale when we got home. It was right 7lbs 15ozs, looks can be deceiving both ways!!

Great fish!

Izumi
01-22-2008, 04:43 PM
:huh: That's simple problem, calibrate your scale.

This reminds me of a discussion on another site about GPS coords. My GPS gives the coords as one location and yours gives them just a little different . . . whose GPS is correct? As for scales it the same way . . . same fish different weights . . . whose scale is correct? As for pictures it's all about perspective . . . give a couple of fishermen the same fish to hold and a couple of photographers to take the photo and the fish in each photo will look different.

Buck Krazy
01-22-2008, 06:06 PM
39.75" 15#
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/BuckKrazy/01100005.jpg
35" 12#
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t185/BuckKrazy/01100003.jpg

Tuff to judge weight from a pic!

pecker
01-22-2008, 07:40 PM
was down to badger early december. snagged an old railway lantern . IT WAS STILL LIT. will blow the light out if you take 10# off your fish.

stormy
01-22-2008, 08:14 PM
20lbs of cast iron weights reads a heavy 21lbs i think i will keep my pics to my self now happy fishin

stormy
01-22-2008, 08:28 PM
kinda funny how some people will cover up the background in a pic and others will tell where they fish
2-weeks ago i pulled a 14lber same place the diff of the 2 was for sure 6-7lbs and stumpy dont say (why lie) its not nice

Walleyes
01-22-2008, 08:43 PM
So,, I got a question for all you fisherman,, how is it you all know the exact weight of all these fish ???? I mean you got her down to the exact pound !!! I thought we were all supposed to release them as soon as possible to ensure their safety and so they feel no stress ??? Can't see hanging a Jackfish by its gills and get it settled down enough to get an accurate measurement of it without causing to much stress,,, but that's just me,, never hung one up before....... Just a thought I had....

Buck Krazy
01-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Measure the girth and the length its pretty easy to figure out, personally we use a rapalla digi scale-- Plus pike are tuff as nails!!

Nice fish though Stormy, If I hadn't seen the pic and heard directly from others, I probably would not have ever gone back to Badger.

P.S. My pike are also from Pigeon-- looks pretty close to where Barbwire was fishing!:lol:

stormy
01-22-2008, 09:06 PM
i use a craddle that fish was out of water for no more 90sec quick weigh&pic than back down the hole
and the blood was mine by the way

packhuntr
01-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Hanging these larger fish from the scale is gonna kill just as many as the club. It can actually break their back. It will seperate the first vertebrae from the base of the skull. They will look good during recovery, act strong, etc etc, but big problems have you created. Another problem with hanging them vertically. They are built to spend their lives suspended in water horizontally. They arent built to handle gravity. Pull em from the water and hang em from their gill plates and you can also cause internal organ damage. A little food for thought.....They aint nails, they are flesh and bone, and they like we, definately have limitations. Gotta handle with care fellas.

keep a strain on er.

willy
01-22-2008, 09:15 PM
LoL i was gonna ask if that was your blood them teeth get ya. What were you using to catch it we always use smelts but dont get many in the 15lb + range.

stormy
01-22-2008, 09:16 PM
going to badger this weekend anyone wana come let me know i will be by the islands red superduty white topper come check my scale it will cost you a beer lol

cohod
01-22-2008, 09:30 PM
22# out of badger on saturday http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh107/stormymb/IMG_6285.jpg

nice fish stormy. who the hell cares what it waighed.

how about some positive feed back fellas! plenty of other things to **** and moan about.

cohod

Lethalconnection
01-22-2008, 09:52 PM
kinda funny how some people will cover up the background in a pic and others will tell where they fish
2-weeks ago i pulled a 14lber same place the diff of the 2 was for sure 6-7lbs and stumpy dont say (why lie) its not nice

The reason i blank it out is cause lots of lazy anglers will just come on these sites find out where the good fishing is and go and keep they're limit yet further helping the destruction of whats left of some good alberta fisheries. The better i get to know a person or even read their posts im more then willing to share some info with them, im just stopping the lazy people from takin advantage from those of us that actually put the work into finding good fishing spots.

Oh and calling people names is childish, what are u 40-45, grow up.

willy
01-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Walleyes you say you dont hang pike up to scale them but the post of the lakers theres a scale and the fish held by the gills.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=4152

Walleyes
01-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Who me ????? no way,, its not the correct way to do it....

buckmaster
01-22-2008, 11:24 PM
i use a craddle that fish was out of water for no more 90sec quick weigh&pic than back down the hole
and the blood was mine by the way

i use a cradle as well!!Cloth works great

Mish
01-23-2008, 12:07 AM
20lbs of cast iron weights reads a heavy 21lbs i think i will keep my pics to my self now happy fishin

I for one hope that you continue to post pictures, I really enjoyed seeing your great catch!

Anyway, I found this link awhile back when I caught my first big pike. Thought I'd share.

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/aboutpike/weightforlength.html

spinerfisher
01-23-2008, 11:54 AM
nice fish that are all shown on this thread. i really like this site for the info and pics that everyone puts on, but iam starting to see that if someone puts a pic on here it has to be beaten by someone else. A few years back my wife caught her first pike at 8lbs and she wanted me to post it for her on another site , which i did. the next few days the replys were getting out of hand, and not nice things were said. Anyways nice fish to all and stormy keep posting pics since there are a few out there that will always want to spoil it..

bowchaser
01-23-2008, 12:59 PM
going to badger this weekend anyone wana come let me know i will be by the islands red superduty white topper come check my scale it will cost you a beer lol
nice fish stormy. Wouldn't worry about what people think of the weight it's always tough to judge from photos. Either way, awesome fish and keep postin...

srp71
01-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Well way to burst my bubble,I caught two at Loutit Lake a few years ago 1 @22# the other at 22.5#,acording to our scale.They were rather skinny compared to the size of their heads.Using the formula lxgxg~800=w,so 42x18x18~800=17.01#.5# difference.So how accurate is this formula?I got it from the link MISH supplied.

Walleyes
01-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Walleyes you say you dont hang pike up to scale them but the post of the lakers theres a scale and the fish held by the gills.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=4152
If I catch a fish that I want to weigh and release I leave them in the net and weigh it all as one... My medium net weighs pretty much next to nothing it gives a guy a decent mesurment...

Mish
01-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Well way to burst my bubble,I caught two at Loutit Lake a few years ago 1 @22# the other at 22.5#,acording to our scale.They were rather skinny compared to the size of their heads.Using the formula lxgxg~800=w,so 42x18x18~800=17.01#.5# difference.So how accurate is this formula?I got it from the link MISH supplied.

As the link states, that formula is extremely approximate. It's way too hard to figure out an exact weight just from the length and girth of a pike. So, stormy's pike could very well be 22# or whatever it measured at, it's too hard to judge just from the picture. That was the point of the link :)