PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 question

8mm-06
10-01-2011, 09:20 AM
so i just bought a marlin 95 an older pre remington one just wondering on bullet selection i will be using it for a brush gun on deer and elk in the heavy timber and will probly use it for bear over bait and just for a camp gun would it be better to load some 350 grn jsp or just load some 405 grn hard cast bullets anyone have any experiance with ether of these bullets performance on game or shoulg i drop to a 300 grn jsp to get some more speed thanks

thirty-30
10-01-2011, 10:02 AM
use hornady leverevolution 325 grain's

They are -excellent-

BlueNorther
10-01-2011, 04:10 PM
If it were me I'd go for the 405 cast with a wide meplat. 45/70's are meant to push big heavy bullets that'll go through anything you point it at. IMO you don't need speed for this cartridge especially if you're hunting heavy timber where shots are going to be close. I'm using a 425gr cast bullet in mine, actual weight with my alloy, gas check and lube is 431gr. I'm getting a 3 inch group at a 100 yards with it shooting free hand.

Lonnie
10-02-2011, 03:01 AM
so i just bought a marlin 95 an older pre remington one just wondering on bullet selection i will be using it for a brush gun on deer and elk in the heavy timber and will probly use it for bear over bait and just for a camp gun would it be better to load some 350 grn jsp or just load some 405 grn hard cast bullets anyone have any experiance with ether of these bullets performance on game or shoulg i drop to a 300 grn jsp to get some more speed thanks

as a bush or heavey timber gun I go heavy hand cast lead bullet your not likely to shoot more than a 100 yard heavy bullet usualy means a little deeper penatration and more foot pounds smack but if your hunting with open medows in the area then lighter bullet can stretch it out to 200 yards easly.

Camp Cook
10-02-2011, 04:51 PM
I have loaded almost every bullet weight and tried almost every powder that can be used in a Marlin 1985GS 45-70 I have come to a few conclusions...

1) H322 is the best all round most temp insensitive powder available for Marlin lever action rifles in 45-70 level 2 loads.

2) 350gr Swift A-Frames are by far my favorite do everything bullet I load them with 54gr H322 which is below the pressure limits of the 1895 action using ghost ring sights I can consistantly put 6 rounds into 6" @ 150 yards.

3) Beartooth 525gr Piledrivers and Jae-Bok Young 550gr Craters both are hard cast WLNGC's loaded with H322 to 1600fps amd 1580fps respectively are the ultimate thumper bullets that I load extremely accurate these push thru anything that they hit.

4) install a Kick-Eez magnum model recoil pad it will reduce felt recoil better than any other recoil pad on the market.

5) I like standard eye relief scopes I use Warne 2 piece nickle plated scope bases and Leupold QRW or Warne quick detachable scope rings.

6) when I don't want a scope I pop it off and install an XS Sights low Weaver backup ghost ring sight.

7) I do not load Hornady 325gr FTX (leverlution) bullets for my Marlin I leave these for my 22' barreled T/C Contender carbine in 45-70 I load them with 54 grs wait for it = H322 :) powder I feel that these bullets aren't very tough so do not push them beyond 1850fps they are very accurate though...

Hope that helps...

257Shooter
10-02-2011, 06:28 PM
I have tried the Hornady in my Marlin and have problems feeding bullets in to the chamber. All other shells feed with no problems. Don't know if this is a problem with the newer guns though.

Camp Cook
10-02-2011, 08:38 PM
That could be due to the length of the ogive of the 325gr FTX bullet it is so long that Hornady had to shorten the brass cases shorter than any other factory 45-70 round just to get them to feed it is one of the reasons I will not shoot them in my Marlin 1895GS.

I have no issues with length when I shoot them in my single shot Contender carbine though which is one of the reasons I shoot them in it...

CC

thirty-30
10-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Wow, the legendary Camp Cook posts here.

Your video was what made me get my 1895 GS. I'd been on the fence about it and you pushed me over.

:)

Camp Cook
10-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Haa haa good one glad I could help now can you shoot that rifle proficiently yet... :)

thirty-30
10-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Ha. :)

Working on it.

I'll have to post an inspired by camp cook vid when I'm done. :)

257Shooter
10-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Camp Cook, I was looking at the bullet and I think you are absolutely correct. Good call!

Camp Cook
10-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Just for clarification I do not shoot the factory Leverelutions in my Contender I load the 325gr FTX bullet to just below top Contender pressure levels = appr 1850fps.

jim summit
10-04-2011, 08:18 AM
My favorite load is the 350gr @ 2050.
Complete passthrough on a buffolo and moose.
Fairly accuate too. Just really have to work with the recoil.
The old round make the Marlin a real handful...

Jamie Black R/T
10-04-2011, 08:50 AM
my GBL shoots a 300gr partition at about that speed

recoil is actually very managable and its accurate...1.25" group was my best so far....measures outside at 2.5" LOL

did a number on my elk a couple weeks ago.

the 45-70 is one caliber that just begs for handloads!!

laut
10-04-2011, 09:03 AM

I had good success at the range using 405g Remington bullet loaded with reloader 7. I was getting 1 inch to 2 inch group at 100yard using a peep sight. However, I didn't like the performance on moose. I shot a bull moose at 30 yards, the bullet went through the one shoulder but the lead seperated inside the moose body. I killed the moose but wish the bullet would stay together and go through both shoulder bone. I would use the heaviest Barnes 45-70g bullet like their original Barnes 400g. Check out the Barnes website or phone them up.

PhatBoy07
10-04-2011, 09:24 AM
I dont mean to hijack the thread but I am looking for some answers and cant pass up a 45-70 thread! I recentley purchased a Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 and can only get one type of bullet to cycle through the gun. I have tried the Hornady leverlution, a winchester brand bullet and Remington 400gr bullet. The remington will cycle throuhg the gun ok, but the other 2 will get hung up on inside the gun right before it enters the chamber (a second load of the lever will get it in though). I would like to be able to cycle the bullets and not sure what the issue may be.

ACKLEY ABE
10-04-2011, 10:06 AM
My favorite load is the 350gr @ 2050.
Complete passthrough on a buffolo and moose.
Fairly accuate too. Just really have to work with the recoil.
The old round make the Marlin a real handful...

Yip.....Busted a bull on Saturday with 350 RN Hornady's.

Camp Cook
10-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I dont mean to hijack the thread but I am looking for some answers and cant pass up a 45-70 thread! I recentley purchased a Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 and can only get one type of bullet to cycle through the gun. I have tried the Hornady leverlution, a winchester brand bullet and Remington 400gr bullet. The remington will cycle throuhg the gun ok, but the other 2 will get hung up on inside the gun right before it enters the chamber (a second load of the lever will get it in though). I would like to be able to cycle the bullets and not sure what the issue may be.

My Marlin 1895GS will feed anything that I put in it I have never had an issue with feeding but it was manufactured before Remiington bought out Marlin.

Was your rifle one of the newer rifles that was manufactured after Remington bought out Marlin and shut down the factory and moved it?

If it is the new Remlin's as they are now being called are prone to feeding issues you have 3 choices to make = live with it, send it in for warranty or take it to a gunsmith that knows Marlins.

thirty-30
10-04-2011, 10:30 AM
The easiest way to tell what era your 1895 is is to look at the barrel.

If it's stamped JM, it was made by Marlin, if it wasn't, it was made by Remington

Lonnie
10-05-2011, 02:01 AM

shoot what ever shoots best at the range you wish to shoot as a 45-70 has super smack down power with any gr.of bullet. it is a huge piece of lead that will drop most things at 200 yards or less and alot of things beyond 200.

Camp Cook
10-05-2011, 10:00 PM
use hornady leverevolution 325 grain's

They are -excellent-

Well thirty-30 for deer I concure...

I carried my T/C Contender carbine in 45-70 while I was blacktail deer hunting this morning had it loaded with my 325gr FTX (leverelution) loads.

Snuck up on a 3X3 blacktail buck shot was only 50 yards but those 325gr FTX did the trick especially due to if the shot was 250 yrds I would have still taken it...

Damn I like Contenders think I'll either carry my 308Bellm or 375JDJ next and if my new s/s G2 frame/butt stock/fore end ever get here I am going to try out my 50 cal magnum Gonic muzzle loader barrel...