PDA

View Full Version : 22 hollow point vs solid

summit151
10-02-2011, 12:48 AM
what do you guy use? is there much accuracy difference? do hollow points kill alot better? and what brand do u guys shoot

MWD 800
10-02-2011, 02:03 AM
I ONLY shoot remington game loads. They shoot awesome out of all my .22's which are a Ruger 77/22, Ruger SR/22, Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 and a couple Savage Model 24 22 over 410's.They are 36 grain copper plated hollow-points. I find the copper plating doesn't foul the rifles as bad as some of the cheaper Winchester 333 Value pack types. My gun loves them and gophers HATE them, except of course the S&W as it is restricted.

Only down side is they are a little more expensive than some other .22 shells out there but like I said they work great in all my .22s

Joe

Lonnie
10-02-2011, 02:36 AM
what do you guy use? is there much accuracy difference? do hollow points kill alot better? and what brand do u guys shoot

solid points ivi usualy cheap and shoot very accuracy in my browning medalist, my 22 rifle seems to like every brand. I like solids as they penetrate better than hollow point, hollow points make a nasty mess of small game

Richard B.
10-02-2011, 05:23 AM
I find that different guns will prefer different loads. The one load that has accurate in all of my .22's is the American Eagle HP. The most accurate loads are standard velocity target loads and they will work fine on game with a head shot. Standard veloicty ammo is more accurate at longer ranges past 50 yards because they are subsonic.

For gophers and jack rabbits I prefer hi velocity HP rounds but for everything else I will use CCI standard Velocity as it gives good accuracy and is not too expensive.

Some standard velocity ammo will not operate a semi-auto reliably.

fordtruckin
10-02-2011, 12:43 PM
My 10/22 will take pretty much whatever I put down it. I try to use Remmington or Winchester 333packs. I don't know if they are the same ammo as the 333packs but the winchester white box in super x I will not use. I had a bad experience with reliablility in them. (out of 10 shots i got 3 or 4 fail to fires consistantly throughout the whole brick)

Big Daddy Badger
10-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Its a 22.
Unless you are aiming for competition like accuracy...you can thow almost anything through them and get good accuracy.

The HP, do a lot more damage and I like en for gophers and head shots on grouse. But if you strike meat...they can make a bit of a mess of it.

elkhunter11
10-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Accuracy can vary greatly with ammunition. If I am shooting small game like ground squirrels, I use hollow points. If I want a higher level of accuracy, I use standard velocity solid points.

Lonnie
10-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Its a 22.
Unless you are aiming for competition like accuracy...you can thow almost anything through them and get good accuracy.

The HP, do a lot more damage and I like en for gophers and head shots on grouse. But if you strike meat...they can make a bit of a mess of it.

in most long barrel rifles yes it realy not that noticeable but in a hand gun there is a huge difference in how different ammo performs, and varies greatly from gun to gun.

Big Daddy Badger
10-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Good to know...the only handguns I've shot are a couple of war relics and service arms.

Outside of competition type shooting...with normal run of the mill 22's I never found much difference unless I was reaching out a bit further and even then...It was just a matter of aiming a bit higher or lower.