PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloader question

300 tc win mag
10-03-2011, 09:42 PM
I am looking at getting a muzzleloader but don't know much about them. Any info would be great... Thanks

Big Daddy Badger
10-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Lots of guys out there to help you but it's a big topic.

Depends upon what you want out of it.

Do you want to dress up in animal skins and carry a gun like Davy Crockets or do you want something that has a scope monted on it and can shoot modern bullets with great accuracy?
What sort of game do you plan to hunt?
How much do you want to spend....etc etc.
Will the rifle be your main hunter or something you use for a couple weeks per year?

Off hand..I can tell you this.

I like my smoke pole and wish I'd bought one years ago but...
It requires more time and effort than I expected when it comes to sighting in, cleaning and finding the load and bullet that your rifle likes best.
Especially time...
As you fire them...they crud up and eventually regardless of what you do at the range...they need a good cleaning so that you can return to a baseline chamber pressure and finish sighting in.

Took me about 5 trips to the range when I got mine.

Right now...I think that a couple of the Traditions and low end Thompson in-lines are the best bang for the buck and they are also the easiest to maintain and shoot accuratly.
I think Cabellas has some package rifles for about 300 that are pretty good value for anyone not looking for an exclusive high end shooter.

Also...do a search of past threads...you will see lots of good advice there on rifles, money saving etc...

Hope this helped.

Rockymtnx
10-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Check out this thread:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=101964&highlight=muzzleloader

muzzleloader16
10-04-2011, 02:38 PM
My wife bought me CVA Wolf from Bass Pro last Christmas. (complete with scope)

Finally got out the day before the season started here and first shot was dead center, 6 # low at 50 yards. Adjusted the scope and hit 1# high. Brought it up again and put 3 in a one inch group 2.5# high at 50 yards.

At 100, they group about 3 inches.

Took a mule buck and a whitetail doe this year so far with it.

Easy to clean, easy to carry, sighted in well and shoots well.

May not be everyone's experience but sure works well for me so far.

100 grains (2 pellets) of "white hots", 245 grain powerbelt hollow point, 209 primer

I'm hooked!!

rwm1273
10-05-2011, 09:10 AM
I bought a Traditions Thunder Bolt from WSS for $149. It shoots well, and is a real blast to shoot. It has an easily removable breach plug that makes it easy to clean the barrel when removed. It is drilled for a scope mount and I put a Bushnell scope on it from BPS. The scope and mount came in a package for $119.

It does need to be cleaned much more frequently than any of my other firearms, and the powder is corrosive. So for less than $300, you can get into shooting a modern BP with the range and accuracy comparable to many CF rifles.

muzzleloader16
10-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Excellent point regarding the breech plug. CVA breech plugs are literally removed by unscrewing with your fingers.

Big Daddy Badger
10-06-2011, 02:17 AM
I tried that Blackhorn 209 powder and it is VERY easy to clean-up and doesn't foul the chamber or barrel much at all.

The best part is...it really does seem to perform the same as Pyrodex.

We'll have to see how it fairs once the mercury dips tho...