PDA

View Full Version : Going to badger Lake.

Tezma
10-03-2011, 11:08 PM
I am going to badger lake tomorrow with Kokanee9.

Going for monster Pike. I might try and target white fish.

I will give an update on how the fishing goes!

Lake conditions, boat launch condition.

Eddy62
10-04-2011, 06:53 AM
good luck boys.........................

Nakoda boater
10-04-2011, 09:36 AM
No such luck for us Sunday, trolled the heck out of it. Used Rappellas, bottomed bounced with slow death rigs and still nothing...

Gust
10-04-2011, 10:39 AM
No such luck for us Sunday, trolled the heck out of it. Used Rappellas, bottomed bounced with slow death rigs and still nothing...

Were you the boat or the pontoons,, I was the guy with my Dad,, At 3:00pm the bite started for him on a big herring,, I could see the fish but thought best not tell him- though he could feel it- he lost it as our herring were to firm to rip the hook through and into the mouth, but the fish hung on for a good 3 minutes. 15 minutes later, he gets another whopper and the little spring on his rig slippied and the wire straightened and he lost that,, several more teasers and then he got a really gorgeous green pattern 70cm pan fryer. I was skunked but had an awesome nap. His first fish was caught on one of my rods and had I not seen the fish I could tell that it was big by how that particular rod bends,, average fish bend the rod from the joint but big fish pull a long arch from the handle,, it was like he was reeling in a sturgeon. When the wire bent out with the second fish, I knew it would be two hours driving back with him cursing his rig,, it was 1 hour before he tuckered out from whining and dozed off. Gorgeous day.

I was casting out 100+ feet into 15-20 feet deep my Dad was fishing 40 feet from shore 6-8 feet of water, his rig and all fish took the lower bait which sat inches from the bottom. Only saw 5 whitefish surface the whole day. Water clarity was good. We were shore fishing. If I go back before freeze up, I'm going to focus on the SW corner and walk the dam.

Nakoda boater
10-04-2011, 12:24 PM
We were the boat people.
Even if the fishing was terrible i'm always happy to be there. Well I'm glad someone latched onto something that day...

Gust
10-04-2011, 12:50 PM
I spooned and rapala'd and spinnered and nary a chaser which is truly odd,, so then I hunkered down and rigged up a herring. Nice day though eh?

Who Da Fisherman
10-04-2011, 01:43 PM
We caught this on Saturday, guess the weight!

SNAGGLEPUSS
10-04-2011, 03:47 PM
22 lbs. Is the campground still open and how is the boat launch?

Nakoda boater
10-04-2011, 03:50 PM
I spooned and rapala'd and spinnered and nary a chaser which is truly odd,, so then I hunkered down and rigged up a herring. Nice day though eh?

Great day!, I even had my shirt off for 1/2 hour or so, lol...

Nakoda boater
10-04-2011, 03:51 PM

There was campers out there...

25lbs!

Dust1n
10-04-2011, 05:15 PM
25lbs my guess awesome pike

Krush
10-04-2011, 05:46 PM
GustavMahler, glad to hear somebody caught something worth keeping on Sunday. Were you the guy in the van who stopped at McGregor bridge in the morning to ask us about whitefish rising? If so, I was the bearded guy in the blue float tube you saw again at Badger later. We didn't do so well either. Caught nothing at McGregor, and only 3 undersized pike at Badger. All close to legal size, but just not quite. :( I also caught them with big fish for bait. All near the west end of the south dam. My fishing partner caught nothing all day. You're right, absolutely gorgeous day. We were very pleasantly surprised to be able to get out on our tubes; it's usually so windy there.

Gust
10-04-2011, 06:52 PM
GustavMahler, glad to hear somebody caught something worth keeping on Sunday. Were you the guy in the van who stopped at McGregor bridge in the morning to ask us about whitefish rising? If so, I was the bearded guy in the blue float tube you saw again at Badger later. We didn't do so well either. Caught nothing at McGregor, and only 3 undersized pike at Badger. All close to legal size, but just not quite. :( I also caught them with big fish for bait. All near the west end of the south dam. My fishing partner caught nothing all day. You're right, absolutely gorgeous day. We were very pleasantly surprised to be able to get out on our tubes; it's usually so windy there.

yeah that was us,, we originally set to go for Lake Whites but the siren call of Badger got us thinking Pike instead. Had you guys packed up an hour later you would have got blown off the lake,, it went from glass to white caps in a blink.

Gust
10-04-2011, 06:57 PM

How many did you get besides this guy and did you catch it in 6-10 feet of water? They've come in earlier than usual, last year the big ones were following non-stop from the deeps.

Nice fish!:)

The Badger fish are broad and chunky and they are sometimes known to taildance.

Tezma
10-04-2011, 11:46 PM

Boat Launch is decent, The hard part is manuvoring around the shallows to get out.

I would recommend 4x4, Or 2x4 If its dry.

Today was SLOW! Spooned, Rapalad and jigged, Jigged bottom with minnow/smelt.

He caught 1 or 2 cant remember, I had 3 on all jumped the hook 3 -15 feet away from the boat.
2-4 Lbs.

Lame!

I think it has to do with the sky being cloudy. If it was sunny we would have caught alot more I would think.

Tezma
10-04-2011, 11:52 PM

LOL Campground open... Of course it is,

I have a video of the boat getting taking out.. I will upload for you guys that are intrested...

Just make sure you have a fishfinder to locate the depth.. as it like 2 feet deep once you leave the boat launch bay

drifter
10-05-2011, 09:45 AM
yeah that was us,, we originally set to go for Lake Whites but the siren call of Badger got us thinking Pike instead. Had you guys packed up an hour later you would have got blown off the lake,, it went from glass to white caps in a blink.

Hey GustavMahler it's good to put a face with a name. I was with Krush that day in the red tube. The wind was kinda crazy later in the day. It couldn't make up its mind on the direction it wanted to come from. But there was a few breaks and we were able to get back on the water.

I'm hoping to get out to Badger one more time before the big freeze also. Possibly the weekend after next and I'm sure Krush would be in for that too. Maybe we will see you and your dad out there as well.

Who Da Fisherman
10-05-2011, 12:30 PM

It was 22.5lbs caught trolling in 10fow, and yes they sure like to tail dance.
As for the launch very sketchy, make sure your hitch is not too low as we had to rise the one guys up.
Lake is low so as you troll out if you don't watch you can mark your prop as i did. learned fast and found if your boat can get up to plane fast just punch it out and head straight at the dam and you will be fine.

Tezma
10-05-2011, 12:57 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=106781