PDA

View Full Version : Lost fly box in K country

commieboy
10-04-2011, 08:03 PM
Hi Folks,

well, I was out in K country on the weekend and I think I lost my favourite fly box and I thought it might be worth mentioning it here.

It's a crappy Walmart box (dragonfly brad, I believe), opaque beige in colour and about 5X3 inches. I custom fit some new foam on the inside, so it will look a little different from other foam inserts.

I would have left it either at upper K (near the boat launch, or the falls) or at Mt. Lorette ponds (teaching the mum-in-law to cast!). Mt Lorette is completely devoid of life, for anyone wondering.

Upper K was productive, with a few small bulls going for light brown streamers. I'm wondering if it was just stocked.

Anyway, if you happen to have run across the aforementioned item, I would really appreciate a p.m.

If you have found it and want to keep it, at least make sure to use the tiny griffith's gnats. My fly of choice all season. Most of the flies are from Icky, so it's a nice little box.

And now, a bow river whitefish.

slivers86
10-04-2011, 11:51 PM
I'll be in the area tomorrow morning. I'll go out of the way to check the launch area at upper k before we leave.

commieboy
10-04-2011, 11:57 PM
I'll be in the area tomorrow morning. I'll go out of the way to check the launch area at upper k before we leave.

Thanks a bunch, Silver. Much appreciated. You'll be up at Elbow Lake, right? Fun little lake. Have a good time.

slivers86
10-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Was at upper for about 30 minutes today. Was super windy so we didn't get a lot done, and the bite just wasn't on this afternoon with the temperature and wind combined. Didn't see anything from the picnic spot area to the other parking lot.

What all did you lose? I know people are helpful around here!

commieboy
10-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks for looking, Silvers. Much appreciated.

I wish I could remember all that was in it. For a small box, it was pretty packed. I'm mostly upset because I had a few go-to flies that I never bothered to learn the names of, nor can I remember where I got some of them! Oh well... live and learn.

Hey, I read your other threads about season firsts and Elbow lake.

My first real season was this year.... I've had gear for a few years, but didn't bother getting out more than once or twice per season. This year things changed big time and hooked in to Cutts, Bows, Browns, Brookies, Bulls, Dollies and Whites. All on the fly. The cutts, browns, bows and whites have been very generous in size. Biggest fish this year was a 26" brown in the shallows of the glenmore stretch on the Bow.

Elbow is a fun lake, and I agree with you that Brookies are absolutely gorgeous fish. I also find them to be very aggressive and very good fighters even at small sizes. And even though most of the fish at Elbow are small, I can tell you that I did see a monster in the shallows once. Probably about 17" and FAT. He absolutely dwarfed every other fish around him. I hope I find him again as he was having nothing to do with me on that day.

Thanks again, and happy fishing.

crosman177
10-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Goodluck, i know how it feels to lose tackle. I lost whole box of spoons awhile back at Glenmore. They never turned up, but you never know what will happen. A lot of good people on this board.

slivers86
10-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks for looking, Silvers. Much appreciated.

I wish I could remember all that was in it. For a small box, it was pretty packed. I'm mostly upset because I had a few go-to flies that I never bothered to learn the names of, nor can I remember where I got some of them! Oh well... live and learn.

Hey, I read your other threads about season firsts and Elbow lake.

My first real season was this year.... I've had gear for a few years, but didn't bother getting out more than once or twice per season. This year things changed big time and hooked in to Cutts, Bows, Browns, Brookies, Bulls, Dollies and Whites. All on the fly. The cutts, browns, bows and whites have been very generous in size. Biggest fish this year was a 26" brown in the shallows of the glenmore stretch on the Bow.

Elbow is a fun lake, and I agree with you that Brookies are absolutely gorgeous fish. I also find them to be very aggressive and very good fighters even at small sizes. And even though most of the fish at Elbow are small, I can tell you that I did see a monster in the shallows once. Probably about 17" and FAT. He absolutely dwarfed every other fish around him. I hope I find him again as he was having nothing to do with me on that day.

Thanks again, and happy fishing.

For some reason, I'd set that fatty free to keep producing. I think that lake must reproduce because they haven't stocked it for a while now.

Sundancefisher
10-07-2011, 08:24 PM
For some reason, I'd set that fatty free to keep producing. I think that lake must reproduce because they haven't stocked it for a while now.

Elbow Lake has a prolific self sustaining brookie population. It can withstand a ton of harvest. The lake is over populated with brookies so they stunt.

Don't feel bad about eating any brookie from there...they are delicious.

Cheers

Sun